• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

hahahahaha

/thread

(never wrote that before)

Really? Why is that amusing?
She has fantasized about killing humans, she had a kit that for all intents and purposes would be used in the abduction and killing of humans. So what's the next step in that progression, going out for lunch?
This girl was and still is poised to kill human beings.

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

#62 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Love all the judgement in this thread. None of you have ever talked to her or met her. She will be evaluated by counsellors and psychiatrists. They are the experts who decide who is and is not a risk to others. I think you should all be very grateful we live in a society where the state can't lock you up and throw away the key everytime a mob of people suspects you might commit a crime. Yes the occassional nut-bar slips through, but the consequences of giving the state too much power would be much worse.

I know what you're saying, but the issue here is that she is a diagnosed sadist and psychopath. This is more than a mere suspicion that she will commit a crime. She enjoys inflicting pain onto other living things, and already has a history of doing so. She isn't going to stop, and as is the case with many with the same conditions, soon animals might just not be enough for her.
Canada already has a law where someone who is considered a threat to themselves or others can be admitted to an institution, this wouldn't be setting any new groundbreaking precedent, the law is already in place.

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image

#63 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

so she should be in a facility more secure than what the authorities deem necessary today because her situation may change down the road?

Are you listening to yourself?

Are you even listening to yourself? She has demonstrated that she is a danger to society, a diagnosed sexual-sadist and psychopath with an extremely high possibility to re-offend and to kill someone. So you think it's perfectly alright that some innocent party should possibly pay the price for her being out in society? Ooops, so sorry, we were wrong, we thought having her on parole and conditions to her parole would be enough. The price of someone being murdered because of that sort of stupidity is just way too high.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 04 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#64 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Are you even listening to yourself? She has demonstrated that she is a danger to society, a diagnosed sexual-sadist and psychopath with an extremely high possibility to re-offend and to kill someone. So you think it's perfectly alright that some innocent party should possibly pay the price for her being out in society? Ooops, so sorry, we were wrong, we thought having her on parole and conditions to her parole would be enough. The price of someone being murdered because of that sort of stupidity is just way too high.

she's not out in society now is she?

more hyperbole.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#65 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

she's not out in society now is she?

more hyperbole.

Oh for God's sake :picard: You can't possibly be this obtuse.......or perhaps yes, you just are.......

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 04 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#66 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

We have a lot more to fear from the state than we do random psychos.

#67 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Oh for God's sake :picard: You can't possibly be this obtuse.......or perhaps you just are.......

She is under supervision deemed appropriate by those who know her situation far better than you or I. And I do have some first hand knowledge of how the BC mental heath system works. You use absolutely stupid words like guarantee which says a lot about you narrow minded approach. If ya want a guarantee go buy a tv at Walmart.

Ya might as well just electrocute her now.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 December 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#68 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

She is under supervision deemed appropriate by those who know her situation far better than you or I. And I do have some first hand knowledge of how the BC mental heath system works. You use absolutely stupid words like guarantee which says a lot about you narrow minded approach. If ya want a guarantee go buy a tv at Walmart.

Ya might as well just electrocute her now.

Well, as you've deemed me 'narrow-minded' and using 'absolutely stupid words', I'll spare you my credentials as this isn't a pissing match on whose creds are better or more valid. I do not retract a single word I have written in this thread.

She is under supervision deemed appropriate by those who know her situation far better than you or I

Yet mistakes are never made....okay........if you say so......yet there are numerous situations where that has been proven wrong..... imagine that. And the price of even one person dead at the hands of a Kayla Bourque is one too many when it could have been avoided in the first place.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 04 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#69 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yet mistakes are never made....okay........if you say so......yet there are plenty of situations where that has been proven wrong..... imagine that.

still lookin' for that magical guarantee I see.

It's gonna be a long freakin' wait. Hope you have the time.

#70 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

do you not even read your own quotes?

"Nevertheless, to know all is not to forgive all, and certainly not to permit all. Bourque is a threat to everyone around her. Permanent institutionalization at Her Majesty’s pleasure would seem the obvious, socially responsible course to take."

That's not my quote.

And, to HBR and taxi....you don't "start" with someone who has been assessed and determined to be severely troubled - likely beyond repair. You start with a kid stealng candy in a corner store. This person will be walking the streets despite being deemed dangerous. She's had, in her possessions, tools that support her vision of killing. It's not about being judgemental - it's about being safe. She has acted on that urge. Her own mother is now asking that she be kept away.

You air on the side of public safety and yes, if it means keeping one person contained until further assessments have been made in light of the initial ones that suggest she is likely going to continue on her path of destruction, you do it.

HBR, you keep throwing out red herring dramatics that are meant to blow smoke at our responses to you....no one has said electrocute her. So don't sway from our actual wording to suit your own agenda/ideas.

Posted Image

#71 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

HBR, my thinking is that, at the current time, the mental health system doesn't work. It's failed, miserably, as a matter of fact.

Posted Image

#72 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

HBR, my thinking is that, at the current time, the mental health system doesn't work. It's failed, miserably, as a matter of fact.

Just as it has in the past with the "deinstitutionalization" movement that put hundreds of people with mental disorders out on the streets to pretty much fend for themselves. Take a look around the downtown east side, the evidence of their failure is right there to see.
Their philisophy to put people back into society has a terrible track record already, it's time for them to start fixing their mistakes.
Keeping high-risk offenders off the street would be a great start.

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

#73 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Just as it has in the past with the "deinstitutionalization" movement that put hundreds of people with mental disorders out on the streets to pretty much fend for themselves. Take a look around the downtown east side, the evidence of their failure is right there to see.
Their philisophy to put people back into society has a terrible track record already, it's time for them to start fixing their mistakes.
Keeping high-risk offenders off the street would be a great start.

There is one obvious solution .. draft her into the RCMP .. there is always a place for the criminally insane within their ranks .. apparently ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#74 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Well first of all, she's probably going to commit a crime after she gets out of jail. The recidivism rate for psychopaths are staggering.. wouldn't be surprised.

#75 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

lot's of difficult situations with poor outcomes for sure. I've seen the system firsthand for decades an can attest to it. You still need to trust the system rather than incarcerate anyone that "scares" you. This woman is scary indeed but she is in better hands now than what she ever has been before. Knee- jerk reactions to have her deemed a potential serial killer and thrown into jail again is not the answer and smarter people than us here on CDC feel that way. She needs some sort of normality in order to improve and she won't get that in a "psycho" ward at Riverview. There are never any guarantees in life but somehow we think we are smarter than those in charge. We are not.

And yes you did quote an article that says she should be permanently institutionalized.

"quote"

I just don't understand how, in this day and age, we are so seriously deprived of good mental health care. There is no excuse for people not to be institutionalized if they pose a serious risk to others as well as themselves.

Here's some more insight into it:

Kayla Bourque is a 22-year-old BC resident who enjoys inflicting suffering on others. She tortured to death her family dog and pet cat, for which she is doing an absurdly short stretch in jail. She has fantasized about killing homeless people, and was found on her arrest to have a “murder kit” in her possession—syringes, a knife, a mask, and restraining straps.

Judge Malcolm MacLean called Kayla Bourque a “psychopathic and narcissistic” “sexual sadist” who’s obsessed with gore and violence and has shown no guilt or remorse.
…”She was intelligent and articulate and preoccupied with inflicting harm and pain on others,” said MacLean.
He said Bourque showed no empathy and psychiatric reports showed she was a sexual sadist with “multiple sexual deviations.”
She suffers from a number of personality disorders, including psychopathology and narcissism, and “felt no guilt, shame or remorse.”
He said she will likely require supervision for the rest of her life and she “presents a moderate level of treatability,” but her rehabilitation has less likelihood of success if voluntary.
“She’s at a moderate to high risk to harm others,” particularly children, the elderly and the disabled, said MacLean.

Under the BC Mental Health Act, a “person with a mental disorder” can be involuntarily confined in a psychiatric institution. Here’s the definition:

“person with a mental disorder” means a person who has a disorder of the mind that requires treatment and seriously impairs the person’s ability
(a) to react appropriately to the person’s environment, or
( B) to associate with others;

But, incredibly, the psychiatrists on the case will apparently not certify her as such. She will be walking the streets in a mere few weeks, looking for prey.
Bourque was a Romanian orphan for the first crucial eight months of her life in 1990. Conditions in those state orphanages were appalling, and the healthy and rapid infant development that arises from bonding was likely stunted. It is perhaps not all that surprising that Bourque cannot form normal relationships. She is a deformed and dangerous person, but she was likely made that way.
Nevertheless, to know all is not to forgive all, and certainly not to permit all. Bourque is a threat to everyone around her. Permanent institutionalization at Her Majesty’s pleasure would seem the obvious, socially responsible course to take.
The DSM-IV, the psychiatrist’s working manual, is a vast compendium of alleged “disorders” that in theory, at least, permits the psychiatrization of almost anyone who doesn’t fit a narrow definition of “normal.” It offers cover for the institutionalization of people who talk back to authority and for the incarceration of drama queens. But somehow, in this instance, it has failed to function.
So here is the bottom line. After all the hand-wringing is over, a psychopath will soon be terrorizing society. Yet there is nothing to be done, we are told, except to impose onerous parole conditions on an apparently bright and inventive young woman, and follow her around at great expense for the rest of her life.
This is, to use a technical term, madness.
http://drdawgsblawg....sychiatry.shtml
end quote

and

"She is already considered to be of risk to others, that's been determined (that the likelihood that she'll continue on this path is strong). She has no remorse and sounds to be very disconnected - there are obviously deep psychological issues here that need addressing before you move to square two, letting her wander around in public. She has tortured and killed living creatures and was found with weapons and plans for further action. If it was just a fantasy, fine....but she's put her plan into action, at least in the beginning stages. That's a red flag, not to be taken lightly.

We're not saying "forever", we're saying in these initial stages. For crying out loud, she's just been recently identified with these serious issues/disorders and initial assessments are in the works...during the period of "figuring out" - yes, keep her safely out of the public and formulate a plan. Start chipping away to see if there's any hope of rehabilitation and then determine what's best. But to simply impose strict regulations on her and risk that she doesn't abide by them - that's not really doing anyone any good, including her. "

end quote

#76 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Love all the judgement in this thread. None of you have ever talked to her or met her. She will be evaluated by counsellors and psychiatrists. They are the experts who decide who is and is not a risk to others. I think you should all be very grateful we live in a society where the state can't lock you up and throw away the key everytime a mob of people suspects you might commit a crime. Yes the occassional nut-bar slips through, but the consequences of giving the state too much power would be much worse.

This statement is not true.

Moreover, and as a general response to everyone, many are assuming that psychologists and psychiatrists are making a determination of which conditions (i.e. incarceration or community supervision) are most appropriate for an individual. They are not.

The fact that she has been assessed by multiple psychologists/psychiatrists as having psychopathic personality disorder (PPD), narcissism, and sexual sadism indicates that there is no change for rehabilitation.

Personality disorders such as PPD and narcissistic personality disorder are not treatable. By its very definition, personality disorders are stable. Thus, people do not grow out of them. They cannot be cured, as in the case of a disease.

The reason that she is being released has far more to do with case law than it does with risk assessment. Judges can only go so far with certain sentences. Given her (relatively) non-serious offence and lack of a prior record, there was not much a judge can do.

The issue here is not about her current offence, it is about her propensity for violence. Propensity is something that remains stable, relative to others, across the life course. If and individual is assessed for psychopathy, the presence of this personality disorder suggests and increased propensity for future criminal behaviour that is not going to go away.

I suggest hudson bay rules familiarize him/herself with the difference between mental disorders, generally, and personality disorders, specifically. They are different. Psychopathy is a personality disorder, not a mental disorder. You claim that you are qualified to speak on the topic, in part, because of your experience with BC's mental health act. However, this is not exactly the issue here. It is important, but the real issue is the fact that, based on prior empirical studies, psychopathy cannot be treated, it cannot even be managed. For individuals such as these, protection of the public becomes paramount, and incarceration is most likely the only safe answer.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#77 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

. For individuals such as these, protection of the public becomes paramount, and incarceration is most likely the only safe answer.

her psychiatrist can have her institutionalized in a millisecond if he/she deems it necessary. I've seen it done first hand and have been a witness to the system since the late 70's

#78 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

lot's of difficult situations with poor outcomes for sure. I've seen the system firsthand for decades an can attest to it. You still need to trust the system rather than incarcerate anyone that "scares" you. This woman is scary indeed but she is in better hands now than what she ever has been before. Knee- jerk reactions to have her deemed a potential serial killer and thrown into jail again is not the answer and smarter people than us here on CDC feel that way. She needs some sort of normality in order to improve and she won't get that in a "psycho" ward at Riverview. There are never any guarantees in life but somehow we think we are smarter than those in charge. We are not.

And yes you did quote an article that says she should be permanently institutionalized.

"quote"

I just don't understand how, in this day and age, we are so seriously deprived of good mental health care. There is no excuse for people not to be institutionalized if they pose a serious risk to others as well as themselves.

Here's some more insight into it:

Kayla Bourque is a 22-year-old BC resident who enjoys inflicting suffering on others. She tortured to death her family dog and pet cat, for which she is doing an absurdly short stretch in jail. She has fantasized about killing homeless people, and was found on her arrest to have a “murder kit” in her possession—syringes, a knife, a mask, and restraining straps.

Judge Malcolm MacLean called Kayla Bourque a “psychopathic and narcissistic” “sexual sadist” who’s obsessed with gore and violence and has shown no guilt or remorse.
…”She was intelligent and articulate and preoccupied with inflicting harm and pain on others,” said MacLean.
He said Bourque showed no empathy and psychiatric reports showed she was a sexual sadist with “multiple sexual deviations.”
She suffers from a number of personality disorders, including psychopathology and narcissism, and “felt no guilt, shame or remorse.”
He said she will likely require supervision for the rest of her life and she “presents a moderate level of treatability,” but her rehabilitation has less likelihood of success if voluntary.
“She’s at a moderate to high risk to harm others,” particularly children, the elderly and the disabled, said MacLean.

Under the BC Mental Health Act, a “person with a mental disorder” can be involuntarily confined in a psychiatric institution. Here’s the definition:

“person with a mental disorder” means a person who has a disorder of the mind that requires treatment and seriously impairs the person’s ability
(a) to react appropriately to the person’s environment, or
( B) to associate with others;

But, incredibly, the psychiatrists on the case will apparently not certify her as such. She will be walking the streets in a mere few weeks, looking for prey.
Bourque was a Romanian orphan for the first crucial eight months of her life in 1990. Conditions in those state orphanages were appalling, and the healthy and rapid infant development that arises from bonding was likely stunted. It is perhaps not all that surprising that Bourque cannot form normal relationships. She is a deformed and dangerous person, but she was likely made that way.
Nevertheless, to know all is not to forgive all, and certainly not to permit all. Bourque is a threat to everyone around her. Permanent institutionalization at Her Majesty’s pleasure would seem the obvious, socially responsible course to take.
The DSM-IV, the psychiatrist’s working manual, is a vast compendium of alleged “disorders” that in theory, at least, permits the psychiatrization of almost anyone who doesn’t fit a narrow definition of “normal.” It offers cover for the institutionalization of people who talk back to authority and for the incarceration of drama queens. But somehow, in this instance, it has failed to function.
So here is the bottom line. After all the hand-wringing is over, a psychopath will soon be terrorizing society. Yet there is nothing to be done, we are told, except to impose onerous parole conditions on an apparently bright and inventive young woman, and follow her around at great expense for the rest of her life.
This is, to use a technical term, madness.
http://drdawgsblawg....sychiatry.shtml
end quote

and

"She is already considered to be of risk to others, that's been determined (that the likelihood that she'll continue on this path is strong). She has no remorse and sounds to be very disconnected - there are obviously deep psychological issues here that need addressing before you move to square two, letting her wander around in public. She has tortured and killed living creatures and was found with weapons and plans for further action. If it was just a fantasy, fine....but she's put her plan into action, at least in the beginning stages. That's a red flag, not to be taken lightly.

We're not saying "forever", we're saying in these initial stages. For crying out loud, she's just been recently identified with these serious issues/disorders and initial assessments are in the works...during the period of "figuring out" - yes, keep her safely out of the public and formulate a plan. Start chipping away to see if there's any hope of rehabilitation and then determine what's best. But to simply impose strict regulations on her and risk that she doesn't abide by them - that's not really doing anyone any good, including her. "

end quote

I have been conducting assessments for psychopathic personality disorder since 2008. Nothing that I have encountered in my own personal experience, nor in my reading of empirical articles on the subject, has suggested that, at this stage in Bourque's life, should there be hope for rehabilitation.

Familiarize yourself with what psychopathy is, before assuming it is similar to a mental disorder. This is not psychoses, this is not schizophrenia. Psychopathy concerns significant impairments in behavioural, affective, and interpersonal domains, and once an assessment is made, there isn't much of a 'figuring out' stage. Assessments/diagnoses of this kind are not made until things have already been made quite clear using valid instruments.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#79 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

her psychiatrist can have her institutionalized in a millisecond if he/she deems it necessary. I've seen it done first hand and have been a witness to the system since the late 70's

No you haven't. You just think you have. Psychopathy is not recognized in the DSM, and as such cannot be used in the cases you seem to think exist.

EDIT: Moreover, instruments to assess for psychopathy were not really used in the late '70s, so you are again either exaggerating or are just misinformed.

EDIT2:

I get a suspicion that some may be confusing someone who is 'psychotic' with someone who is a psychopath. To be sure, these are two incredibly different diagnoses, and not just on a semantic level. Pinel, who first began to recognize psychopathy (before Cleckley coined the term we are familiar with) referred to psychopathy as manie sans delire (mania without delirium).

Essentially, this definition is suggesting that individuals with psychopathy are not delirious (i.e. not psychotic). They are not crazy, they are not schizoid. They would not meet the criteria for 'not criminally responsible due to mental disorder' (NCRMD) on account of the fact that they very well know exactly what they are doing, they just do not care.

Edited by Down by the River, 04 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#80 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

No you haven't. You just think you have. Psychopathy is not recognized in the DSM, and as such cannot be used in the cases you seem to think exist.

EDIT: Moreover, instruments to assess for psychopathy were not really used in the late '70s, so you are again either exaggerating or are just misinformed.

EDIT2:

I get a suspicion that some may be confusing someone who is 'psychotic' with someone who is a psychopath. To be sure, these are two incredibly different diagnoses, and not just on a semantic level. Pinel, who first began to recognize psychopathy (before Cleckley coined the term we are familiar with) referred to psychopathy as manie sans delire (mania without delirium).

Essentially, this definition is suggesting that individuals with psychopathy are not delirious (i.e. not psychotic). They are not crazy, they are not schizoid. They would not meet the criteria for 'not criminally responsible due to mental disorder' (NCRMD) on account of the fact that they very well know exactly what they are doing, they just do not care.

happened to a family member. You haven't a clue.

Just because I've been a witness to the system since the late 70's doesn't mean that's when it came to a head. I'm surprised you fell on your face on that one.

#81 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just because I've been a witness to the system since the late 70's doesn't mean that's when it came to a head. I'm surprised you fell on your face on that one.

Then perhaps you should be a tad more clear with what you're writing

#82 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

In Canada, and essentially the world, a proper risk assessment tool for psychopathy was not developed until the 1980s

In 1980, Hare created a diagnostic tool called the Psychopathy Checklist, which, revised five years later, became known as the PCL-R. Popularly called "the Hare," the PCL-R measures psychopathy on a forty-point scale. Once it emerged, it was the first time in history that everyone who said "psychopath" was saying the same thing. For research in the field, it was like a starting gun

It is unlikely that anyone with psychopathy alone would be detained under the Mental Health Act. Perhaps if an individual had a comorbid disorder, but psychopathy alone is, as mentioned, not recognized under the DSM as an actual personality disorder, and thus cannot be used as a method of detainment under the Mental Health Act.

Edited by Down by the River, 04 December 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#83 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

[edit
nvm

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 December 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#84 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Edited by Down by the River, 04 December 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#85 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Can you please tell me what your family member's actual diagnosis was, and what their symptoms were? I am not trying to pry into your personal life, and you should feel free to not respond without me holding your non-response against you. This is simply an earnest attempt to see if what you, I, and others are referring to are actually the same thing. If we are talking about different things, we may be arguing without purpose.

I've deleted m y post and ask you to delete your quote . Respectfully.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#86 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

If you want info on what somebody with Anti Social Personality Disorder, Sexual Sadism, and Psycopathy is capable of, look no further then Jeffery Dahmer, whom I'm all sure we know of. Bourque suffers from the same disorders as this man, she is capable of doing what he did. He too was arrested, put on probabtion, arrested again, so on and so forth, and all the while he went about killing people.
While it isn't a given that Bourque would commit the same atrocities, the very fact that you cannot rule it out serves as more than enough reason to keep her in a secure facility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvmGdzgdLM

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 December 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

#87 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

thank you

#88 The Manatee King

The Manatee King

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

A fascinating, yet extremely creepy, video on youtube called The Child of Rage FULL DOCUMENTARY provides some insight into how extreme trauma at an early age can create "monsters". It also provides some hope for such people.

#89 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

The scary thing is that this is not the only person out there who has severe mental issues that could make him / her a threat to others. I agree with the comments about there being a real lack for support for people with mental illnesses. If you have ever needed to deal with helping someone with a mental illness, you know just how hard it is to aid them in getting help. It's even worse if they feel that they don't need help. You can't forcibly drag someone to the doctor if they don't feel they should go.
It takes something more major to happen for them to even start the ball rolling for treatment.
Places like Riverview (confinement and therapy) are obsolete and there is such a strain on the medical system already to even put a dent into helping people who desperately need it (for their sake and the rest of society's, too).
Posted Image

#90 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

The scary thing is that this is not the only person out there who has severe mental issues that could make him / her a threat to others. I agree with the comments about there being a real lack for support for people with mental illnesses. If you have ever needed to deal with helping someone with a mental illness, you know just how hard it is to aid them in getting help. It's even worse if they feel that they don't need help. You can't forcibly drag someone to the doctor if they don't feel they should go.
It takes something more major to happen for them to even start the ball rolling for treatment.
Places like Riverview (confinement and therapy) are obsolete and there is such a strain on the medical system already to even put a dent into helping people who desperately need it (for their sake and the rest of society's, too).

Riverview is nowhere near the same as what it used to be (think one flew over the cuckoo's nest). It wasn't perfect but it was a godsend for some.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 December 2012 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.