Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do the Canucks have enough depth for shortened season?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

This could be worse starting out if Kesler, Edler/Garrison (any or all) do not start the shortened season whenever it starts between now and Jan 1 - but in a shortened season while it may help a veteran team, if they hit significant injuries, do they have enough depth to push through for a playoff seed? Compared to a team like Detroit (lots of depth) or Nashville (not much depth)...

Side note - does this shortened season now mean Lui stays for the short year in tandem with Schneider (in case of injury)?

Whoo, feels good to talk hockey again!

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'd be more worried about our depth in a regular length season.
But even with those players out for the beginning of the year (which would be unlikely), we're still a good enough team to make the playoffs.
Posted Image

#3 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

MG might have some signings/trades already done that he just can't do yet due to the lockout. So we may have some added depth for Center and D, and/or Luongo could be gone...

Shortened season has some pros and cons though for sure.. For instance, a lot of our players will be pretty rusty and will take a while to get back, so here's hoping it wont take them too long since there's not a lot of games to warm up with.. But the rest will give Sedins and injured players a good break.. So it's pretty hard to tell what's going to happen...

For the record, I wouldn't mind a half season this year

#4 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

If you look at our normal trends:

October-November - Roughly .500 hockey
December-April - Dominant hockey (I'd guess .750, but don't have time to look at the numbers ATM)
May-June - Iffy

If that trend were to continue, we'd be right in our wheelhouse for the playoffs.

Edited by n00bxQb, 05 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#5 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Being that barely any Canucks are playing hockey right now, they may start the season quite slow, but would come into stride heading down the stretch and hopefully a long playoff run. Kesler was expected to miss half the year to begin with so he should only miss a month of hockey max if the season starts Jan 1.

#6 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

We have Luongo, Ballard, Raymond - all solid depth players. ::D

#7 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

How are Kes, Edler and Garrison doing respectively health-wise? If they're good to go the team should be fine.

I think the team should still be fine for depth, but it's a matter of whether they actually step up and deliver or just look good on paper. Burr, Higgins, Booth, Hansen, Kassian (with his training and AHL play he's looked better), Lapierre, Raymond... that's quite a bit of depth up front (excited to see whether Pinizzotto and Schroeder get chances with the big club) and at least in the short run Ballard should be able to step in just in case Edler doesn't start the season (though with Garrison out the D-depth doesn't look AS good, they'd be one Top-4 D-man short). Hopefully Tanev's work on his shot produces results.

Schneider and whoever backs up better be ready though, esp. seeing how it would be Cory's first time as full-time starter in the NHL the backup better be good enough to be a 1B type who can take his share of starts in case he struggles with Lu gone.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#8 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

i think we are one of the deepest teams in the NHL
with Kesler and Edler out this would be our roster. Garrison is good to go if im not mistaken

D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows
Booth Schroeder/Gaunce Higgins
Raymond Lapierre Hansen
Weise Malholtra Kassian
with Volpatti and Ebbett as spares

Bieksa Hamhuis
Garrison Ballard
Alberts Tanev
and call up Connauton or Joslin or someone

Schneider Luongo

thats still a decent team. its not presidents trophy worthy but its playoff bound

and with everyone healthy we have

D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Lapierre Hansen
Wesie Malholtra Kassian
/volpatti, ebbett

bieksa hamhuis
edler garrison
ballard tanev
/alberts

schneider
luongo

Edited by Red-Haired_Shanks, 05 December 2012 - 02:09 PM.

NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#9 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Center is sketchy.

#10 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

We have Luongo, Ballard, Raymond - all solid depth players. ::D

Those are really good depth players, although I think Lu will be moved for more depth and a prospect.

#11 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

whats the hurry to get rid of luongo? keep him for a goaly tandem in a short season. i have a feeling schneider's gonna be rusty.

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#12 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

whats the hurry to get rid of luongo? keep him for a goaly tandem in a short season. i have a feeling schneider's gonna be rusty.

Luongo ... well known for his amazing starts to the season :bigblush:

#13 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I don't think that when/if the season starts up that the Canucks or going to have to worry about their depth players.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#14 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

If there is hockey, I'd be happy to deal with any problem no matter how bad it is! Even the Luongo trade... <_<

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Even without them, this team is still better than half in the West.
Posted Image

#16 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

We can always call up players from our farm team in Florida.

Subbancopy.jpg

#17 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, I'd be worried about depth in a full season. But I understand, but yeah. I think we have enough depth, our farms even looking better.
Posted Image

#18 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Do we have enough depth?
Short answer is Yes.
Long answer is Yeeeessss.

#19 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

This could be worse starting out if Kesler, Edler/Garrison (any or all) do not start the shortened season whenever it starts between now and Jan 1 - but in a shortened season while it may help a veteran team, if they hit significant injuries, do they have enough depth to push through for a playoff seed? Compared to a team like Detroit (lots of depth) or Nashville (not much depth)...

Side note - does this shortened season now mean Lui stays for the short year in tandem with Schneider (in case of injury)?

Depth for a shortened season? Lack of depth takes its toll after 82 games and a long playoff run. If anything a shortened season helps teams with less depth because there are less games that could risk loosing players.

#20 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Right because the rusty goalie is the one that is getting game time now? If anyone will be rusty it's you good friend Lou-gone-go.

#21 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Actually they will have more depth with a shortened season. Kesler and Edler will be playing and everyone else would be 100%

Posted Image

#22 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

We'll be fine. Lets say best case scenrior we start in January, Garrison and Edler should be fully recovered as we last talked about their injured in Mid October. We have enough depbth for a full 82 game season let a lone a shortened season. INjuries happen to everyone.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#23 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

So they can make it for 82 games and 21 games in the playoffs before "losing" that last one... So im pretty sure they can do the same with less regular season games to get injured from!

#24 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

Let's say, & I'm just saying here, if the team wins it all in a shortened season, will there be an asterisk beside the team name in future records because they won it all in a shortened season a la the San Antonio Spurs 98-99 season where they played a shortened 50 game season?? Because the Spurs won it in a shortened season, I seem to recall alot of colleagues saying yada yada yada it's not a full season??

#25 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Let's say, & I'm just saying here, if the team wins it all in a shortened season, will there be an asterisk beside the team name in future records because they won it all in a shortened season a la the San Antonio Spurs 98-99 season where they played a shortened 50 game season?? Because the Spurs won it in a shortened season, I seem to recall alot of colleagues saying yada yada yada it's not a full season??

In 95 the devils and marty brodeur won their first cup, no one really cares.

No asterisk either. Haters will always come up with something, but the same number of games are played by all so who cares.

Thats when u just shut them up by winning another one back to back next year ;)

But im getting WAY too far ahead..

#26 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

I'm all for winning either way and then winning again the next year too!!!

#27 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

The Canucks have enough depth but my worry is the slow start the team has, a shortened season might be over before it starts.

#28 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Short or long season, the Nucks have gaping holes on the second (RW) and third © lines. If these issues aren't taken care of, they will be wasting another year. This team cannot afford to piss another year away.

#29 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you look at our normal trends:

October-November - Roughly .500 hockey
December-April - Dominant hockey (I'd guess .750, but don't have time to look at the numbers ATM)
May-June - Iffy

If that trend were to continue, we'd be right in our wheelhouse for the playoffs.

I don't get when people say this because yeah, we suck in the first couple months, but I don't think that thats because theres a curse on october and parts of novemember.
But honestly if we stated the season tommorow I think we would still struggle the same because its just the team getting back into the routine, for some reason it takes the nucks a while. We just stink at starting our season up. Just my opinion because it seems like everyone always says that they are thankful for no october because we suck in october but am I the only one thinking that it dosent matter the month, it's the start of teh season ?
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#30 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Does any team, if "they hit significant injuries"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.