The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Demitra's only full season as a Canuck: 20 goals, 33 assists, 53 points in 69 games - $4 million cap hit.

Semin last year - 21 goals, 33 assists, 54 points in 77 games - 6.7 million cap hit.

Always so negative regarding Vancouver's own, and then remarkably, the players you suggest bringing in...

Your ultra-soft, uber-overpaid solutions at right wing (Frolik, Semin) fail to impress.

Getting back to topic; Demitra was a good signing for us. The OP's topic is critical mistakes.

On a one off basis, MG has not been making "critical mistakes"in any one transaction. Some say loosing Schultz was such a mistake. But we were in the short straws of a lottery; missed opportunity but not mistake. I have argued that, in reality, we have been rebuilding assets rather than filling the necessary roles of a winner. MG has been rebuilding on the fly rather than fielding our best team since the SCF. That is my assessment.

Old News is amongst the most supportive of MG.

King; you appear to just enjoy the debate? Aside from having not traded Scheneider earlier, thus avoiding the Lou controversy; what is your position on MG as a GM and his moves?

Ho Ho Ho

Ha Ha Ha

The talk around Vancouver Canucks land following the Olympics was that Pavol's game disappeared after his outstanding Olympic performance.

Pavol scored three times and added seven assists in seven games,leading all Olympians in scoring for the entire tournament.

Ironically,he scored three times for the Canucks in his final 28 NHL games.In four months-January through April,Pavol managed to score just three NHL goals.

OMG - Demitra only had 16 points in 28 games coming off his shoulder injury. What a bust.

The talk around Vancouver as usual was hardly worth listening to. Nothing more pathetic than the whiners in the Vancouver media (not exactly overachievers themselves) never getting off their player's backs.

The thing about Czechs and Slovaks - they tend to pour their hearts on the ice for their national teams/country. I certainly will never fault Demitra (or Hasek or a handfull of others) for putting their best performances out while wearing their Nation's jersey. I've had numerous shoulder injuries - it's possible to play injured, and I wouldn't be surprised if Demitra's reality in 2010 was a decision to play in the Olympics despite the fact he wasn't healthy - and the thing is, shoulder injuries don't go away anytime soon. The guy was a heart and soul player. He may have been a Gillis client, but really, there is very little point in complaining about the type of player that Demitra was.

The problem with this argument is that Schultz isn't "playing alongside elite talent", he is leading them.

Tied with Eberle for lead in points, has almost twice as many goals as Taylor Hall. Oh, leads the team in +/-, too, and only has 6 PIM.

Deny all you want, but this kid's future is insanely bright, and he's twice the prospect as anyone that we've got.

Don't know much about Demitra do you. To suggest that he was one of the Canucks 'errors' while Semin would be a stroke of intelligence is ridiculous. For the extra 3 million you are getting a lesser player in Semin. You might want to have a closer look at who Demitra actually was.

Demitra wasn't just an outstanding playmaking center - he was well-known as a two-way player - very good and intelligent defensive player - as noted was a +124 for his career - and more physical than you are implying - was a much more physical player than Semin.

Right.$4 million for three goals.Outstanding value.Certainly a gross insult to everyone,including the media,I would think.

Demitra rested for 2/3rds of a full season to perform and he managed just 3 goals in his final four months of NHL reg.season play.

Everybody plays exceptionally hard for their countries.Come on.

He was massively overpaid and he was not extended.

Nice job at totally ignoring my point, which was your "ultra soft" comment about Semin, a label that could be worn very equally by Demitra. I never bashed the signing - at the time, I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. Only a 2-year deal, whatever. Not a horrible signing, but certainly not great, either.

Who cares about his salary? He was injured for 2/3 of the season - meaning his salary did not apply to the cap, which is all that really matters to a fan - Demitra's cap hit that year was actually 1.3 to 1.4 million that season as a result. Every player who was ever injured does not produce while they aren't in the lineup - the whole 4 million for 3 goals thing is a swing and a miss.

Shultz was not a mistake. He was not ours to lose. He made a choice, we couldn't offer him more money and he obviously liked a situation where he wouldn't have to fight for ice time. Gillis offered the maximum he could.

No misake was made and people really need to let it go already.

Archived