The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your Top 10 Films of 2012

mcgillnuck

Look maan, CDC actually has a pretty good thread going on it for once, we don't need you coming in here and just being all condescending and stuff. Normally I'm not opposed to stirring crap up, but you could at least add a little more to the discussion.

Not sure why i saw 'Killer Joe' in this thread. That movie was horrible.

Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter? She's 24 now, but looked like jailbait in the movie. So... Full frontal? M'kay.

What saves the movie from a total loss (besides jailbait nudity) is Thomas Haden Church's hilarious performance as a total numbskull.

I'm totally shocked that Beasts of the Southern Wild was nominated for best picture, but I'm sure glad it was. Between the best picture nomination and the youngest best actress nomination in history for Quvenzhane Wallis, it's going to get a whole lot more exposure now. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm equally shocked that The Master wasn't nominated.

I haven't seen Les Mis, Beasts of the Southern Wild or Amour, yet, but my top 10 are currently:

1. Life of Pi

2. Moonrise Kingdom

3. Safety Not Guaranteed

4. Zero Dark Thirty

5. Django Unchained

6. Silver Linings Playbook

7. Skyfall

8. Argo

9. The Dark Knight Rises

10. The Cabin In The Woods

uhm, people aren't really crying about the violence or F-word, they're crying about Tarantino's continued insistence on using the N-word and his bizarre treatment of black people in his movies

not saying I agree with the criticism, but let's not soften it by saying it's simply a matter of people being offended by 'violence and profanity,' when Tarantino's shtick is like 40% shock value

uhm, people aren't really crying about the violence or F-word, they're crying about Tarantino's continued insistence on using the N-word and his bizarre treatment of black people in his movies

not saying I agree with the criticism, but let's not soften it by saying it's simply a matter of people being offended by 'violence and profanity,' when Tarantino's shtick is like 40% shock value

Well, it's a Tarantino movie. Maybe people aren't familiar with his work, that's fine. But you're going to be in for a surprise. And when you understand the central theme of the movie and you're upset because of the content that is in the movie and you still decided to see it anyway, well, who's fault is that? And if you didn't know what the movie was about, decided to see it anyway and was offended by the content, again, who's fault is that?

Maybe I'm sounding like a dick but I'm tired of people complaining about crap that is totally avoidable in the first place. A film involving slavery and violence might offend black people. Really?!

I don't like watching Game 7 of the 2011 SCF but I don't go to youtube, watch it, then complain publicly about it afterwards.

If people are concerned with the old chestnut of "race" they should avoid things that are racially controversial?

The n word is famously used in Tarantino's own scene in Pulp Fiction, and used frequently throughout Jackie Brown as well (38 times).

Some critics are concerned with his commitment to the word, not his recent thematic interest in it.

Archived