The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Thing (1982) - 7/10

First time watching it. Definitely holds up to films today. Didn't know how it would end going in, expected something a little different, but still like it nonetheless.

I'm always pumped when Wilfred Brimley pops up in something.

I much preferred the 1951 original - The Thing from Another World.

How can you go wrong with Marshall Matt Dillon as The Thing and Daniel Boone (Dewey Martin) as the crew chief???

And Howard Hawks carefully keeping the team film making going with many classic Hawks touches throughout. As this review points out pretty much every bloodthirsty alien picture that came afterwards in some way is indebted to the original

http://www.bmonster.com/horror7.html

MV5BMjA2ODczNDg5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM4MDAwMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Edited by Wetcoaster

Double Indemnity (1944)

It's a Billy Wilder classic that a lot of people consider to be the greatest film noir ever made. I saw it for the first time last night, and it definitely earns the distinction. It starts out with the main character, who's been shot, confessing to committing murder, and then goes back in time to tell the story. So you know right from the get-go that things aren't going to pan out. The fun part is trying to figure out how he slipped up in committing the murder, who's going to betray who, who shot him etc.. The story's great, the technical aspects are great, it's dripping with suspense, and the dialogue is awesome. It's on netflix and I really recommend giving it a shot. Even if older films aren't usually your thing, this one will have you on the edge of your seat.

The Amazing Spider-Man: 6.5/10

Far from amazing. I thought it was pretty average. The movie felt more like a teen comedy romance than a Spider-Man movie.

Edited by Guest

Paranoid Park - 8/10. Beautifully shot Gus Van Sant movie from about 5 years ago about a high school skater in Portland who goes train hopping and accidentally kills a security guard. Most of the movie is quiet, slow shots of him walking around trying to cope with his guilt. Intense but worth seeing.

Seriously feel sorry for you guys if you are involved with women who can't appreciate movies like Evil Dead or 28 Days Later.

Well, not everyone enjoys that kind of movie, but I have to agree that 28 Days Later was good. Also enjoyed 28 Weeks Later.

Judging from the last few pages, it looks like I have to check out the new Evil Dead movie.

Well, not everyone enjoys that kind of movie, but I have to agree that 28 Days Later was good. Also enjoyed 28 Weeks Later.

Judging from the last few pages, it looks like I have to check out the new Evil Dead movie.

when I said "appreciate" I didn't necessarily mean ENJOY.

i don't think i should really expand on my thoughts on the issue though, probably offend someone ;p

when I said "appreciate" I didn't necessarily mean ENJOY.

i don't think i should really expand on my thoughts on the issue though, probably offend someone ;p

Well then, I'll change my response from before then. My wife really does appreciate good filmmaking. Speaking of 28 Days Later, she actually does appreciate how well done the movie is. She has sat through numerous horror/zombie movies with me, much to her dismay, and acknowledges a good film when she sees one.That said, she did not enjoy 28 Days Later, except for Cillian Murphy's eyes.

Oblivion 7/10

Will post my thoughts when I am at a real computer

I think anyone that has even seen a single Science Fiction movie could have predicted what the "Radiation Zone" was about.

As soon as I saw who was working in the "Radiation Zone", I had pieced together the entire last half hour of the movie.

C'mon Tom Cruise, you're better than this. You're one of the few actors that I will go see for name alone... make better movies!

I saw a picture of Tom Cruise where someone had a line running down his face to show how weird his teeth are.

Almost ruined this movie for me because I saw it every time he said something.

Iron Man 3: 7/10

Very entertaining, a good popcorn flick. Tony Stark is as snarky as ever. Despite the advertising, this movie is not darker than the first two. It starts off very serious, but switches to its usual campy tone halfway through. In fact it gets particularly cheesy near the end. This movie is deceptive, it's not what you'd expect based on the trailers. A problem I found was the villain's motivation, it was very dumb.

Not as good as the first, but still a well made, entertaining movie. I would recommend it.

Edited by CAPSLOCK

Reefer Madness - 4/10

Pretty silly, that's for sure. Meant as a propoganda film, to warn parents what can happen if their children get into the dark world of marijuana drug use. Instead, Reefer Madness is nothing more than comedy showing pretty much the exact opposite of what smoking marijuana will do to you (except maybe the piano player).