The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

This thread is not about Cody Hodgson. I think most people are over that. Schroeder's been blasted for putting up the same amount of points as Kassian. There's a whole thread about how Schroeder is never going to make the NHL because of it.

I've accepted that we need Kassian over Hodgson.

That's fine, and I'm even fine with the swap. Schroeder fell into the Canucks' lap in 2009 and I think he's got the potential to be a pretty good NHL player. Hodgson for Kassian is a reasonable gamble, with Kassian turning into a Lucic-type as the desired end. The timing didn't make much sense, but there was logic in the move.

I'm just upset that he doesn't seem to be getting better. Stats matter.

That's fine, and I'm even fine with the swap. Schroeder fell into the Canucks' lap in 2009 and I think he's got the potential to be a pretty good NHL player. Hodgson for Kassian is a reasonable gamble, with Kassian turning into a Lucic-type as the desired end. The timing didn't make much sense, but there was logic in the move.

I'm just upset that he doesn't seem to be getting better. Stats matter.

Agreed. Also people need to consider that Kassian was putting up better AHL numbers with Rochester a year ago. Bout a goal every 2 games. Add the fact that he wasn't consistent there either. Kassian looked real good at the start of the season, this year. At least that's a positive...

"Watch him play" - fine, but the numbers don't lie. The numbers are what's honest, free of the confirmation bias that so many Canuck fans suffer from - seeing only what you want to see, rather than reality.

Thanks for affirming my belief that you haven't seen him play.

And no, the numbers don't mean anywhere near as much as you seem to think they do...

I scored 2 goals in my game the other week, one was an empty netter and the other was a snapshot from the point that bounced off my arm into the net. I was sat for almost an entire period at one point for making two terrible giveaways in our own zone, and I had also missed a wide open net earlier. You would look and say "wow he got 2 goals, he must have played great", but anyone who actually watched the game would realized that I hadn't.

I think the only warning sign with Zack Kassian is his consistency. He can dominate one game, and then be invisible in the next. That may ultimately hurt him in the long run. At the worst, Kassian will be a decent bottom six forward. At his best, he could be a 60 pt per season power forward

I'm not sure how anyone can call this thread "BS", since it's just a report of the numbers. The numbers don't lie - they're an objective assessment of a player's progress. Nothing more.

That said, I don't think three-year windows are far-more valuable than two-year windows, so I wouldn't cry panic just yet.

You've made several statements in this thread that demonstrate trolling.

It needs to stop.

Hi Deb, don't give into a lot of posters on CDC accussing others of trolling. King has demonstrated telling numbers which is hard to argue with. I'm not even sure why others have already dismissed it but it's crystal clear. I think something is not going right with Kassian or his development which the management needs to address.

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

Ya and you think Kadri is great lol bc he's a ppg in the AHL - you and Smashian

Anyone else want Kadri over Kassian? Laughable

Thanks for affirming my belief that you haven't seen him play.

And no, the numbers don't mean anywhere near as much as you seem to think they do...

I scored 2 goals in my game the other week, one was an empty netter and the other was a snapshot from the point that bounced off my arm into the net. I was sat for almost an entire period at one point for making two terrible giveaways in our own zone, and I had also missed a wide open net earlier. You would look and say "wow he got 2 goals, he must have played great", but anyone who actually watched the game would realized that I hadn't.

I live in Chicago and have seen him play many times, both in Chicago and even in Peoria.

I wonder, have you ever gotten over the Linden trade or the Bertuzzi trade? Like, Hodgson is gone - for good! Get over it. I've watched a couple of games that Kassian has played and he's going to be an all star, given the ice time and the opportunity. The AHL is not even a consideration to real games in the NHL. Perhaps your time would be better spent wondering what Mason Raymond has been doing to make sure he is a positive contributor once the NHL resumes instead of lammenting Hodgson, who will never amount to much in my opinion.

Ya and you think Kadri is great lol bc he's a ppg in the AHL - you and Smashian

You don't think he's any good because he's small. Classic size bias.

And for the record, let's not put words in other peoples' mouths. Never, ever have I said that Kadri is "great". What I've said is that he's probably roughly where he should be, as a 2009 high draft pick. Respectable NHL production through a limited opportunity, and very good minor league production.

Archived