The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your fav coffee bean (for grinder, french press, etc.)?

GLASSJAW

I'm pretty new to the coffee world, but I got a french press and grinder for xxxmas, and I'm lookin to broaden my horizons. Everything that I've tried so far has blown my mind, but that's cos I have the palate of a 3 year old--but I'm learnin.

For those of you who been in the game for a while, what do you reckon is the best bean?

Moja Coffee on the North Shore at 1412 Rupert Street, North Van.

Moja small batch roast their own beans on-site in their Probat coffee roaster and use a classic manual handmade Victoria Arduino espresso machine.

http://www.mojacoffe.../coffeeshop.htm

3306388869_f6c56b5c6a_m.jpg

Highly recommended.

3307218962_367dcbda94_m.jpg

If it is not too busy check if Doug, the owner of Moja Coffee is around. He loves to talk about coffee and it is like have the Discovery Channel HD for 24 hour coffee programming on hand. Also ask him about making his specialty of cocoa zucchero... Thomas Haas chocolate and espresso. I am not usually a big fan of coffee and chocolate but for this I would make an exception.

http://www.mojacoffe.../coffeeshop.htm

For the French Press he recommends Kenya AA:

Although we routinely bring in a myriad of different coffees from one of the world’s finest growing regions, our Kenya AA that we offer everyday rarely changes: a deep fragrance of wet earth and ripe berry leads a beautiful coffee that begs you to bring out the French Press. In the cup: velvety layers of ripe fruit and a thicker body than you would expect from an African coffee gives way to a sweet lingering aftertaste not unlike fine Merlot. Our Kenya AA rewards a connoisseur’s palate and makes a fantastic after-dinner coffee.

Best coffee I ever had was in a 5-star hotel in Yogyakarta, Java Indonesia. Ridiculous!

I recommend you try a couple of different premium quality roasts that you can buy from some of the larger grocery chains.

The first is Pacific Pipeline by Kicking Horse (I've tried several KH coffees and this one is by far the best coffee of theirs that I've tried).

The second is the mildly dark Ceremonial Dance blend by Voets and I found their coffee at Thrifty Foods. Awesome coffee.

Of course once you are ready to graduate from the traditional gourmet blends, see if you are brave enough to tackle some more extreme cultivar:

7185912909_c4747cfa2a_c.jpg

And once you're ready to graduate from your French Press, then you need to get yourself an Aeropress (have to be fair and give props to Wet for this one). If you think the French Press is good...

But for now, definitely savour the moment because after you drink coffee from an Aeropress your French Press will be a nice, dust-collecting household ornament.

Coming from someone in the Victoria area, you could try Fantastico, but I have had consistency issues with they're in house coffee so as a genera,l personal rule, don't support them with my business.

Discovery Coffee has great coffee. In fact, any day now they will have a Kenyan bean available for purchase that I had the other day and found excellent.

The Parsonage has some great roasting going on as well.

If you want to hang with hipster weiners who know their coffee, Habit is the place. Sometimes they underroast their esspresso though, which won't be a problem on your press since you won't be buying esspresso beans.

Stay away from 2 Percent Jazz unless you like over roasted beans. He was the original coffee player in Victoria though, so check it out if you are feeling nostalgic.

On any drive up island check out Drumroaster Cafe in Cobble Hill, they have good stuff as well.

I agree with Grabner. Ethical Bean has excellent coffee. They way they roast it has great flavour. I like the classic roast, as a medium roast.

Rocket fuel is a great dark roast.

One awesome point. How many companies list their phone number along with their senior management on their website?

Ethical Bean does. Not only does that say something about the company, it means they aren't afraid to face their customers. That shows pride in what they do, and they are confident in what they sell.

Archived