The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Ordinarily at the start of the season, I'll be looking into getting tickets to catch a game; however, the excitement of the season has long since worn off so naturally the interest to go to a game is long gone so no I will not be attending any games, and to be honest this whole "lock out" tactic does not leave me a very good impression of the NHL. If I had a more favorable opinion of the league, then I would be more inclined to support them but at this time I don't. The NHL has alot of work to do to regain their integrity and the respect of its fans and sponsors, and players for that matter.

My first reaction was to not watch on tv but a hockey fan would be hard pressed to do this.My only hope is the schedule dosen't conflict with the top BPL games or the top Spanish league games.Then I would have to miss the hockey.The lockout for me sent me back to the game I grew up watching and supporting.

Can't say I'm boycotting but with a much shorter schedule,I don't see myself cruising up to Vancouver for a game this season and even if its prorated,I won't be ordering NHL Center Ice package this season. I've made the adjustments and have been attending more WHL games. However,I still get CBC down here in Washington and will be tuning in to HNIC and other games available on cable. Hopefully I can make up for it next season and attend a few games with the family.

I don't understand the logic of a boycott.

'I'm mad that there wasn't hockey in October, November, December and half of January. Therefore, when you give me what I am so desperately missing, I will not partake in it and punish myself further.'

If the first indication that you, as a fan, were low down the priority list was the lockout then you need a reality check. This isn't bush league hockey where they have to beg for fans, this is the most competitive league, not just for the players but for the fans. The Canucks have a waiting list of many multiple years just for the privilege to buy season tickets at thousands a pair. If you boycott the games, you will not be missed by the team in this city.

So youre just going to forget about how the NHL has treated its fans like garbage and continue on like nothing happened? That seems so undignified to me.

I dont understand how you could do that. The fans do in fact have a say in this. Over the next few seasons, if enough of us refrain from buying merchandise or tickets to set them back a couple years, then they wont be able to do anything like this again. Look at what happened in the MLB after the 1994 strike, the fans made a statement and the league was forced to compromise.

If you choose to go back like nothing even happened then you are helping tp enable the NHL to do this again in the future if they wanted. You will have proven to them that there are no negative consequences to their actions. You will have proven to them that you dont care if you matter or not. It doesnt have to be that way.

So youre just going to forget about how the NHL has treated its fans like garbage and continue on like nothing happened? That seems so undignified to me.

I dont understand how you could do that. The fans do in fact have a say in this. Over the next few seasons, if enough of us refrain from buying merchandise or tickets to set them back a couple years, then they wont be able to do anything like this again. Look at what happened in the MLB after the 1994 strike, the fans made a statement and the league was forced to compromise.

If you choose to go back like nothing even happened then you are helping tp enable the NHL to do this again in the future if they wanted. You will have proven to them that there are no negative consequences to their actions. You will have proven to them that you dont care if you matter or not. It doesnt have to be that way.

Rejecting an offer via voice mail in the middle of another side's press conference is ludicrous. Refusing to negotiate unless Fehr is not around is illegal according to labour law. Regardless, I expect more business professionalism out of the side that can reasonably be expected to have some. The players aren't expected to be good at negotiating; that's why they have agents do their contracts for them.

Extremely long labour stoppages should not be the first recourse whenever a CBA has expired.

I have tickets to the first game but I will boycott it, I booked a vacation to Vegas the day before they announced the lockout was over so I'll be in Vegas when they play their first game.

Although it will never happen it would be cool to see empty arenas for the first game.

I have tickets to the first game but I will boycott it, I booked a vacation to Vegas the day before they announced the lockout was over so I'll be in Vegas when they play their first game.

Although it will never happen it would be cool to see empty arenas for the first game.

Archived