441 replies to this topic

#151 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

No, no team is in the same situation with it's older players, because no other team relies on a 35 year-old for over 16% of their goals.

Other than Martin St. Louis and the Bolts, no other team plays a forward as old as Iginla for over 20 minutes a game.

Missed my point

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#152 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I wonder if it could help J-Bo's though?

I hope so but that'll have a lot to do with how J-Bo is used. Over the past 3 years, he was used as the number 1 shutdown Dman, which placed his main focus on defending and not on skating up to the slot and scoring backdoor goals like he did in Florida. Last season was even worse because Hannan's lack of speed brought down Gio game and as such, Bo and Butler had to play as the top shutdown pairing. And in that situation, it clearly made no sense allowing Butler to be the defensive Dman.

I'm hoping that with Wideman's acquisition, the D will bring score more goals and Gio can be paired up with Bo, allowing Jay to take on more of an offensive stride.

I'm apprehensive but we'll see how it goes. I'm just curious to watch the Hartley system in action to see how different it is to the passive, Butter system.

#153 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74 Per an NHL source, Scott Gomez has had talks with Ducks, Flames and Canes. As @TSNBobMcKenzietweeted Kings and Blues talking to Redden.

Hmm...this could get interesting. If this pans out, it will clearly be a 1-way deal but it better be at or around league minimum. 750k would be the absolute maximum I'd be comfortable with.

And who knows, if this happens, perhaps Stajan gets bought out this season itself once Cervenka returns.

#154 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Well considering that they got these points playing exclusively on the 3rd line with no PP minutes, Im not concerned one bit.

Your top 6 forward has a whopping (with PP minutes) 5 more points than Higgins and 9 points on Hansen.

Now if they get 2nd line minutes like Glencross, I have no doubt they match or better those stats.

Again, with or without Kesler, our top 6 is and will be superior to anything the flames assemble. Our top line alone could win us games so no worries here. ^_^

Take out a player of Kesler's calibre on your team ??? Tanguay? lol and your team looks no different from an AHL lineup.

How was that 2nd line heh?

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#155 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,211 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

@RenLavoieRDS
First game in the NHL for #flames Steve Bégin (today) since December 17 2010.

307mg00.jpg

#156 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I am definitely cheering for the Flames tonight over SJ. I hope Backlund gets off a good start and that Hartley's approach to leaning on his proven players when it is needed gets Iginla out of the gate faster than usual as it will be a quick sprint to the finish.

Also:

The Flames could be missing new additions Cervenka and Hudler. Cervenka is out with a blood clot, and Hudler was nursing an abdominal injury before returning to the Czech Republic to attend his father's funeral. Anton Babchuk (shoulder) is out; Jarome Iginla (groin) is expected to play.

#157 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Dig that! Backlund with an assist. Haven't been watching though.. Sven is it going good?

#158 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Dig that! Backlund with an assist. Haven't been watching though.. Sven is it going good?

Flames dominated the 1st period and Sharks were lucky to be down 1. Haven't watched the 2nd, because a better game is on.

Oh and it's 3-1 now.

Edited by Bob Corkum, 20 January 2013 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#159 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Very sloppy all game, even in the 1st period. The BBC line was good but even they had issues.

The main problems had to do with Cammy being unable to play right wing and Tangs struggling with playing centre. That top line was horrible and the lack of a true centre is so apparent. There is a LOT more to playing C than just passing. Glenny isn't cut out for top line and Tangs needs to get back to LW.

Kipper was very shaky too I thought. Wasn't moving smoothly and he should have really had that 2nd goal.

Not a good start. The last 40 mins was classic Flames hockey, aka aimlessly skating around and being passive. Not good at all.

#160 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the NHL, Sven!!!
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#161 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Inconsistency strikes again

3499h5x.jpg

#162 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Flames homers like to make a big deal out of the Flames' 1st period, but in actuality it had more to do with the Sharks not having their legs early than anything else.

They looked more or less like the same old Flames tonight, except once SJ started skating, they ran away with the game.

Anything can happen, but I don't think Calgary is a Hudler and Cervenka away from a playoff berth.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#163 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Same ol flames, so funny
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#164 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Very sloppy all game, even in the 1st period. The BBC line was good but even they had issues.

The main problems had to do with Cammy being unable to play right wing and Tangs struggling with playing centre. That top line was horrible and the lack of a true centre is so apparent. There is a LOT more to playing C than just passing. Glenny isn't cut out for top line and Tangs needs to get back to LW.

Kipper was very shaky too I thought. Wasn't moving smoothly and he should have really had that 2nd goal.

Not a good start. The last 40 mins was classic Flames hockey, aka aimlessly skating around and being passive. Not good at all.

Will Hudler get a shot on the 1st line? He should be back by game 3, right?

Even so, a 50-point player for the 1st line center isn't exactly luxurious..

Once again, I didn't watch the game, but Backlund had 1 assist, 4 shots, 1 hit, 1 blocked shot, 50 percent on faceoffs and an even rating in just 14 minutes. Will he get a shot to play with Iginla?

#165 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

No, Hudler and Cervenka will be LW and C on the 3rd line with Stempniak, taking the place of Stajan and Horak. There is just a ton of good LW on Calgary: Cammy, Tangs, Glenny, Sven, Hudler...all of those guys are top 6 material. But there is a severe dearth of centres. If Cammy can adjust quickly to RW, then he'll be valuable to the Flames as they are weaker on the right.

I wouldn't mind trying Backs on the top line but he has such great chemistry with Baertschi that it might not make sense to break that up. But in the case that they do, Cammy could try to play 2nd line centre. Or for that matter, they should just try what they did last year with Cammy centring Tangs and Iggy, and Glenny could try to move into the 2nd line RW position.

3rd option is to trade one of the LW in an effort to get a centre but that'll likely end up with us overpaying.

I don't know what the solution is to this jigsaw puzzle but Hartley and co. need to find it fast if they have any hopes of making it to the playoffs.

#166 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have to admit the Flames looked pretty good in the first 10 minutes yesterday. Between watching football and the channel blacking out I missed where the Sharks too over.

And as much as I like to bash the Flames I really liked the look of Backlund. Hopefully he gets more opportunity to grow.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#167 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Maybe it's because I'm overly critical but I didn't think the Flames were all that good in the 1st. They were sloppy with their passing, and were taking a ton of low percentage shots. And every time the D got a shot off, they kept aiming for the top part of the net, which just made it an easy save for Niemi rather than taking a low shot to get rebounds.

Couple of positives were Backlund playing very well and driving the play of the 2nd line and the PP that scored, JBo playing with a lot of jump and getting involved in the offense, and Gio being the only Dman being smart with the point shots. If Gio couldnt get a shot on net, he would get it off the end boards and into the slot for chances, which resulted in atleast 3 solid chances.

I'm hoping that tonight, Brodie will take the place of Smith or Sarich on the bottom pairing and that Irving takes the net. He needs to get into a game quickly before they start riding Kipper.

#168 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I don't know what the solution is to this jigsaw puzzle but Hartley and co. need to find it fast if they have any hopes of making it to the playoffs.

The solution is simple:

Posted Image

It's been staring them in the face for a couple of years now. They just don't seem to want to admit it.
Posted Image

#169 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well that's obvious (to all except Flames management) but in order to start a rebuild successfully by trading Iggy and Kipper, we first need them playing well enough to net a decent return. As such, the goal right now is to get the team going whether they want to blow it up or make the playoffs.

#170 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Well that's obvious (to all except Flames management) but in order to start a rebuild successfully by trading Iggy and Kipper, we first need them playing well enough to net a decent return. As such, the goal right now is to get the team going whether they want to blow it up or make the playoffs.

That's exactly why they should have done it in the past. There is no guarantee that Iggy and Kipper are not going to have declines in their performance this season. They're at the age when it should almost be expected.

Last year was the time to do it. Iggy was performing well (although, not as well as the year before), and Kipper was having a fantastic season. They could have also got valuable picks/youth for Jokinen, Moss, Kostopoulos, and Hannan - rather than lose them all for nothing.

Edited by D-Money, 21 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

#171 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I agree with you. Keeping them here and gunning for the playoffs is a fools gambit and is only delaying the inevitable. That said, we can't change the past so hopefully, if they are well out of it around the 20th game, I hope Feaster will use his brain and pull the trigger where needed.

Though, something tells me that while it is likely that Kipper will be traded, Iggy will be resigned. If my hunch is correct, I sure hope it is CHEAP. Flames need all the help they can get to secure a top centre and they don't need to keep paying Iggy top dollar. If he wants to play for Calgary and wants to win in Calgary, he'll need to take a hefty pay cut to help the team. Otherwise, he needs to move. Flames need to take a hard, cup-focused stance on the matter.

#172 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Get this flames garbage off the Canucks board.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#173 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Give it your best shot, Ossi. ;)

Inconsistency and crap goaltending strike again. Kipper's playing very tentatively and his reads are totally off. Not to mention, he is over committing and over challenging every shot. Not good at all. He needs bounce back ASAP.

And yes, Wideman had 2 assists but I'm already getting tired of him taking his own sweet time with the puck. In the 3rd period alone, he had about 2 or 3 points where his lazy, "smell the roses" approach to a breakout almost resulted in a turnover and a breakaway. People weren't kidding about him being a major defensive liability.

#174 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Battle of the basement on Wednesday. Who's gunna get that first win of the season???
Posted Image

#175 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Battle of the basement on Wednesday. Who's gunna get that first win of the season???

If Kipper plays and the Sedins have a good game, Vancouver should win the game.

The twins love to score on Kipper. Say what you want about the Canucks this year, Hank and Dank seem to be their old selves.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#176 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Gotta work on the defensive coverage in our end. Playing a good transition team like the Canucks will only magnify the issue if we dont clean it up

3499h5x.jpg

#177 Junk

Junk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

No, Hudler and Cervenka will be LW and C on the 3rd line with Stempniak, taking the place of Stajan and Horak.

This is a guess right? You speak on this authoritatively but I don't see how you can know this. All signs point to Hudler/Cervenka/whoever being the 2nd line. It gets a little unclear as to who the other winger will be which is why I don't understand you putting them on the third line with Stempniak on the RW.

#178 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is a guess right? You speak on this authoritatively but I don't see how you can know this. All signs point to Hudler/Cervenka/whoever being the 2nd line. It gets a little unclear as to who the other winger will be which is why I don't understand you putting them on the third line with Stempniak on the RW.

Yeah, it was my educated guess at the time because Horak will certainly be sent down due to his waiver exempt status. However, with Stajan's good start and a real lack of centers, Stajan will likely stay up. Question is, how do the line combos work? Hudler might have to play RW which could allow Cammy to switch back to LW which he desperately needs to, but then where does Stajan play? Back on the 4th line? Frankly, the forward lines are a mess with too many top 6 LW and a severe lack of centers.

I'm expecting tonight to be a blowout in the Canucks favour. Kipper's been really weak the past couple of games and the Sedins have really had his number for the past 3-4 years or so. Doesn't help that the D has been crazy porous so far and the offensive pressure has been inconsistent at best.
7-2 Canucks.

#179 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Played a hell of a game. Same old shootouts though. Why wasn't baertschi or backlund out there. Ugh

Can't wait to get hudler and cervenka back next game. The team's looking better each game

3499h5x.jpg

#180 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

With the Nino trade request I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary lands Niederriter (sp?)

Considering Nino and Sven played together in Portland in the WHL and the Flames could use another young stud.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.