The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone seem to think we need more depth at C?

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Let's see, we have Sedin, Lapierre, Malhotra, Ebbett, Schroeder, and eventually Kesler. Yet everywhere I read they're saying we need a center. What we need is some size on the bottom six wings and on D, that's all, we do NOT need to make a trade to replace a couple months' worth of Kesler being hurt, that's crazy. Our centers we already have are four solid NHLers and a first-round prospect, that's without Kesler. So get a grip people, we are fine at center.

I think our centre depth will be perfect if Schroeder is able to come in and prove he belongs and can produce in the NHL. That way, we'll have our top 1-2 punch at centre of Sedin-Kesler, a young talented 3rd line centre who can anchor the 2nd line when necessary in Schroeder, and two gritty, defensive centres who are great on the PK on the 4th line in Malhotra and Lapierre.

Sedin

Kesler

Schroeder

Lapierre

Malhotra

^ That's very similar to Boston's centre core of Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Kelly and Campbell, except that Sedin is much better than Krejci.

I think our centre depth will be perfect if Schroeder is able to come in and prove he belongs and can produce in the NHL. That way, we'll have our top 1-2 punch at centre of Sedin-Kesler, a young talented 3rd line centre who can anchor the 2nd line when necessary in Schroeder, and two gritty, defensive centres who are great on the PK on the 4th line in Malhotra and Lapierre.

Sedin

Kesler

Schroeder

Lapierre

Malhotra

^ That's very similar to Boston's centre core of Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Kelly and Campbell, except that Sedin is much better than Krejci.

Let's see, we have Sedin, Lapierre, Malhotra, Ebbett, Schroeder, and eventually Kesler. Yet everywhere I read they're saying we need a center. What we need is some size on the bottom six wings and on D, that's all, we do NOT need to make a trade to replace a couple months' worth of Kesler being hurt, that's crazy. Our centers we already have are four solid NHLers and a first-round prospect, that's without Kesler. So get a grip people, we are fine at center.

Personally I would rather put my faith in Mr. Ebbet (great depth guy) or Lapierre for a month or so than put it into Shroeder. He has only produced 9 goals, 10 assists and is -3 in 30 games with the Wolves while playing top-line minutes. This was his year to shine and show us all that he is ready for the big leagues. Unfortunately, neither he nor Kassian have shown that they are anything more than AHL calibre players since the start of the season with the Wolves.

Not to sound like a butt-hurt broken record but our best prospect is now playing for the Rochester Americans and we have nothing to show for it in terms of a quality return or future depth considerations, especially down the middle. In the last year we went to being one of the deepest teams down the middle to struggling to round out our lineup.

Personally I think we should re-sign Bitz asap, stick him on as 4th line center, move Lappiere to fill in on the 2nd line and play him with Burrows. Obviously this isn't a permanent solution but I think Lappy is ready to be called upon to play a larger role.

Out of the players we have I think our best bet is to see:

Daniel-Henrik-Booth(?)

Raymond(?)-Lapierre-Burrows

Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen

Volpatti-Bitz-Weise

I will note that both Raymond and Booth (who are only effective in the top-6) need to step it up immediately or be shipped out ASAP. Higgins belongs on the 2nd line and that we need a more permanent solution on 3rd line LW. Higgins is too valuable a player to be stuck in a checking role, despite how effective he is, simply because Raymond and Booth have continued to struggle in the top-6 and aren't dependable enough to be put in checking roles.

Kesler is better than Bergeron? This the same Bergeron who in the past few years has won an Olympic gold medal, a Stanley Cup, a Spengler Cup, the Selke Award; posted the best plus-minus in the NHL last season; and produces points far more consistently and in bigger games than Kesler ever has??? And, we're talking about the same Kesler who hasn't shown up for his team since the third round of the playoffs of 2010-2011, and has only made highlight reels since that time for his atrocious diving practices??? Get your head out of your ass. The Canucks' center lineup is nowhere near what the Bruins have.

Because just about every other SC contender has a better second line center(not counting Kesler) than the Canucks. And most of them are way better.

Canucks might be able to manage if 1. Kesler isn't out to long 2. He can stay healthy 3. Plays at the top of his game, something he has rarely done, in the playoffs then maybe the Canucks can win the cup. But honestly what are the chances all that happens.

It's all relative OP. If you look around the NHL, the Canucks without Kesler still match up pretty well - not many teams have Malkin on the second line... So I agree with you to an extent - it's simply that people obsess here over the perceived weak spots - and they are certainly relative, but 2nd line RW and 3rd line C are the areas where people (I think correctly) wouldn't mind seeing upgrades if possible.

I see some of the more ignorant posters have woken from their lockout slumber and are leaving typical smartass one liners - take it with a grain of salt.

Archived