The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video of Cory Schneider vs. Roberto Luongo in the Canucks Scrimmage Shootout

MarcusCyganiak

Today is game day -- so exciting!

As we know Cory Schneider will be starting in net tonight against the Anaheim Ducks and rumors being that Roberto Luongo will get to start the second game of the season, I'd like to turn your attentions to this video:

The video shows a scrimmage shootout in Rogers Arena on January 17, 2013 and it's very apparent who the number one goalie is at this time. It seems like Luongo has lost all his confidence, which is a shame. I still am a fan of Luongo's, but this may just be his final curtain call in being the number one goalie in this city.

Luongo may be better off refreshing himself with a clean slate on a new NHL team. Then again though, if Schneider gets injured at some point, then what?

Time will tell what happens, and if this is the Canucks' biggest problem all year, then we'll do good because having two of the best goalies in the NHL can't be a bad thing, right?

The video is worth a look, so watch and discuss!

You can't really base a goalie's skill on a shootout however I was at that game and Luongp looked really shaky, 3 goals on 17 shots while Schneider had a 33 save shutout. But I still support Luongo.

And technically Luongo let in 3 goals on 10 shots in the shootout as Hamhuis took like five shots on Lu, lol

Still I think Luongo is better and we are making a bad decision running him out of town

You can't really base a goalie's skill on a shootout however I was at that game and Luongp looked really shaky, 3 goals on 17 shots while Schneider had a 33 save shutout. But I still support Luongo.

And technically Luongo let in 3 goals on 10 shots in the shootout as Hamhuis took like five shots on Lu, lol

Still I think Luongo is better and we are making a bad decision running him out of town

Please...sloppy defensive coverage on all three goals.

First goal Andrew Alberts and Cam Barker let Mason Raymond skate right between them and cut to the net. Second goal Alex Edler and Jason Garrison kept backing off and gave Raymond all the space to load up and left Jannik Hansen all alone in front of the net. Third goal more sloppy defensive play...Raymond was allowed to streak towards the net in the slot uncovered.

This is as bad as people who said after the first game Luongo was better than Schneider. You cannot judge them on a game with such a low intensity/effort level. Add on the fact its a shootout and to top it off one goalie was better the first day and one was better the second day so how is your point proven at all?

Schneider will start the season, Lu probably gets game 2 and we play whoever is playing better and split the load til either a trade happens or one really catches on fire. Why do it anyway else?

Edler hit the post and Daniel deked right into Schneider's crest while Bill Sweat pulled off a deke nobody could save.

I'd ask if you saw the shootout but since you did, it's clear you're just too plain simple to see past the stats.

Luongo is in a position he hasn't been in since he was a rookie (or the Olympics). He has to earn the starting position by playing well.

This could be a great thing for both of them. Luongo will be pushing hard to get more games. Schneider will try and maintain his top play to remain the starter.

It's worked well the last couple seasons, hopefully the dynamic will continue.

lol that game was like pond hockey on a weekend...I'm so sure they were trying so hard. It was just an event they put on for fun like the all star game.

This is the problem with fans, analyzing every goal a goalie lets in, and now a scrimmage game that was for fun clearly. Quick just let in 5 goals today with some shaky goaltending, I'm sure he is on the market now and Bernier is the number 1.....

Schneider will look good against Anaheim and Luongo will probably get shelled against Edmonton, but that's more an indication of the teams playing and not the goalies.

Luongo gets the red-hot young guns who have been playing in mid-season form all ready with a tired team in front of him playing a back-to-back whereas Schneider gets the underperforming Ducks who, while they have plenty of skill up front, underachieve.

Archived