The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ebbet on the second line experiment is over, Schroeder needs to be called up

LindenTheLegend

Arnott isn't the aswer, Schroeder is a better option than Arnott IMO.

Arnott isn't what he used to be, not even close, his lack of speed and mobility would be a huge weakness on that line, not much of an upgrade on Ebbett really besides size. I would give Schroeder the chance, he will probably produce more.

I like the idea of getting Schroeder some ice time, you have to admit it's risky to have Mason Raymond or Andrew Ebbett on his line though, because having 2 players that can be physically dominated rarely works.

However, Schroeder is a bit stronger, but quite a bit quicker than Ebbett.. But it isn't like JS has been racking up the offensive numbers in the AHL - he's had 19 points in 30 games, and Ebbett had 21 in 29...

The only way I see it working is the lines are shuffled a bit and Raymond and JS are separated, something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Raymond

Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen

or

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Burrows - Schroeder - Weise

or

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Weise - Schroeder - Kassian

And with the way Weise has been playing, maybe he deserves a shot in the top-9, but you can see clearly how those 3 situations have their drawbacks as well.

Schroeder struggled early on, but since the Christmas break (in the games he has played) he had 5 points in 5 games and has been one of if not the Wolves best/most consistent players for about a month or 2.

He has alot of advantages on Ebbett, strength, speed, elusiveness, offensive skill, hockey IQ, all things that the 2nd line is missing.

As for the 2nd line and your concerns about size on it, I would go:

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows/Kassian*

(*Burrows/Kassian - Depending on who plays with the twins, the other guy comes down to this line, if it was a me I would go with Zack on the 1st then bring Burr down, Zack was great with them tonight.)

Archived