Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

I LOVE BALLARD!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#61 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Tanev is a stud, for real. Ballard has obviously improved his play, and played well tonight, I will agree, but he still has a way to go to be earning that salary. He still makes pretty poor decisions in his own end. I like his toughness, and I would really like to see more of that physical play. He is at his best when he plays with that edge

I think it's just a lot of bad luck for Ballard. When he came into our system he tried to maintain that edge but always got punished for doing so, which probably hurt his confidence and play style a LOT. Hopefully that's all washed over, cause a mean Ballard is the best Ballard.

#62 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Anybody see that video of the "new girl" meeting the team where she asked Ballard what it takes to get on the coach's good side and he replied (paraphrasing) "Good question! I've been trying to figure that out for three years!" I laughed pretty good, so hilarious!

Anyways, Ballard has been showing that he really wants to play more minutes and I think he deserves all of it. The guy has heart, sticks up for his teammates, is such a smooth skater, and really, IMO, makes less mistakes than Hammer, Bieksa, and Edler. Tanev and him have def been our best so far.

Garrison is struggling out there. His skill set with the puck is a little worrying but I'm sure with time he will get used to our system more and we will see his boomer from the point. At one point last night I saw Raymond (who is also stepping up large) with the puck at the point and Garrison beside him, and instead of moving to the right to give him someone to dish the puck over to in the open, he just stood there like a zombie and looked at Raymond. He'll get better tho.

But AV is obviously loving Tanev and Ballard and rightly so. So awesome to see guys stepping it up this year. Gonna be a goodie to watch this year boys and girls :towel:

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#63 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

As others have said, I'm glad he's finally getting his confidence back. It seems like he's finally able to play the game how he wants to and isn't injured in some way.

I always liked Ballard, I remember he was drafted by Buffalo 11th overall, traded to Colorado and then to Phoenix before he even played a game. He doesn't score many goals but has great passing skills. And he is built like a tank, I wish I could find the video when he played for Phoenix and one of our guys took a run at him, bounced off him and had to limp to the bench with a broken leg. It was a younger guy a few seasons ago, I was yelling at him the whole time, don't do it! It was after he checked Pyatt into the side board, it looked really bad.

So anyways, happy to see Ballard getting back into his normal rhythm, him paired with Tanev is exactly what he needed. He never had a decent partner he could rely on.

#64 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

His play at the end of last season and playoffs looked much better and it appears that it is continuing into this season. He has some good skills and is a real team player. He may never play like a 4M defenceman, but a consistency in his current play will be great for the team.

#65 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I love how he plays and last night showed a lot of heart. Plus, him with Tanev on the PP was fun to watch, and something I'd like to see more often.

Posted Image

#66 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Garry Valk said after the game, Ballard played great yesterday.
Posted Image

#67 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

lmao perry u mad bro

Does he even lift?

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#68 doobiedoodoo

doobiedoodoo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think a lot of Canuck fans like Ballard. But AV doesn't.

#69 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

It is very promising when your strugling/doghouse dwelling players can start to shine. People have been dishing out the hate on Ballard, Mason Raymond like crazy. But if these guys can keep up the good work and we get our two big guys back from injury, then I like our chances to go far this year.

#70 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

What were Ballard and Perry yelling at each other?

something about ballard asking him to a fight 2-3 time before that and he said no so he felt like he got jumped when he started to fight him. Which pissed him off.

#71 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

ballard asked perry to fight after he tried to get edler to fight and he just skated away

such a bitch
Posted Image

#72 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ballard and Tanev are easily the best pairing right now. Everybody else just looks lost, that's including Hamhuis.

I've always said this, Ballard is our grittiest defenseman. Doesn't EVER hesitate to stand up for his teammates. Whether it's in Vancouver or not, I hope this guy has a great career.

#73 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I wish that Perry didn't jump him, Ballard would have messed him up.

Ballard beat him last season (or was that two seasons ago?) pretty easily. I think that's why Perry sweatered him before actually fighting. Stay classy, Perry.

#74 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Ballard and Tanev are easily the best pairing right now. Everybody else just looks lost, that's including Hamhuis.

I've always said this, Ballard is our grittiest defenseman. Doesn't EVER hesitate to stand up for his teammates. Whether it's in Vancouver or not, I hope this guy has a great career.

Yeah, too bad Bieksa has to see who the other guy is first before he try's to act tough, he used to be my favorite defenseman, but I've liked him a lot less every season.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#75 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

What i'm curious to see is how the refs are going to call hipchecks this year.There seemed a variation in how it was called last season.Thats my fave Ballard move.

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, too bad Bieksa has to see who the other guy is first before he try's to act tough, he used to be my favorite defenseman, but I've liked him a lot less every season.

Yeh like he looked to see what number Eager had on his back but fought him anyway giving away 30lbs and 2 inches. Or when he drew Chara aside and stared him down in Boston last year.

Don't be so disrespectful.
Kevin.jpg

#77 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

What i'm curious to see is how the refs are going to call hipchecks this year.There seemed a variation in how it was called last season.Thats my fave Ballard move.

Guaranteed he'll get a penalty if he throws one of his hippers.

#78 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Beiksa isnt afraid of anyone. The only reason he'd have to be careful who he fights is because hes so important to the club. Hence, if hes going to fight, it has to be someone on the other team who is important to their club as well.

Perry is afraid of no one either.

Shorthouse really has issues with being biased Ive noticed. I liked him during his radio days, but his unwilingness to be impartial is getting to me the past few years.

#79 GPCanucksFan

GPCanucksFan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was happy when we got Ballard, but when he first came here, he didn't really fit in. Now, he seems to be settling in nicely and mentoring Chris Tanev, which is exactly what you want, a veteran D-Man instilling his work ethic on a younger guy,

It certain looks good so far, I just hope AV will give them some more PP time so Tanev will get his first NHL goal.

#80 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Vigneault is Ballard's biggest problem. It's a tragedy. I don't think he's ever played a shift on the pp since he's been here and he's got a better offensive touch from the blueline than Hamhuis.

#81 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I love Ballard, I just wish he made $2M instead of $4M. Even when he wasn't doing well on the ice, he was clearly a good guy in the dressing room. He still makes some questionable on ice decisions, but he's a team guy and good with Tanev.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#82 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Did you guys hear Shorthouse " Perry is about as big of a sore loser as you can find in the nhl "

+1 for truth

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#83 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Vigneault is Ballard's biggest problem. It's a tragedy. I don't think he's ever played a shift on the pp since he's been here and he's got a better offensive touch from the blueline than Hamhuis.

He had a few shifts on the PP last night. Was ok.

Mark Twain

#84 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

It is very promising when your strugling/doghouse dwelling players can start to shine. People have been dishing out the hate on Ballard, Mason Raymond like crazy. But if these guys can keep up the good work and we get our two big guys back from injury, then I like our chances to go far this year.

All this indicates is that the cdc doghouse is getting some new tenants.

Mark Twain

#85 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Yes. Those 2 big defensemen make our team a lot bigger and tougher to play against. Do you think Perry would have jumped either of them?

Perry is a panzy and Ballard has taken him on before, and got the better of him I might add. Vandemeer might add some toughness but both he and Barker are liabilities on defence, and have no where near the ability that Ballard has. So Vandemeer might make us tougher (not that we at all needed that against the goony Ducks as Bieksa and Volpatti did just fine) but if you think they would make us tougher to play against you would be delusional.

Opponents would welcome playing against a line of Barker and Vandemeer.

#86 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

As we're talking about random crap...

DID ANYBODY SEE TANEV'S SLAP SHOT? WHY DOESN'T HE SHOOT MORE OFTEN

Cause generally, his shot is straight up aweful

#87 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would love to see what he could do on the pp.

#88 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

i think ballards awesome give him some pp time please

#89 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

i think ballards awesome give him some pp time please

He did play a shift on the power play tonight with Jason Garrison in the third period. Looked solid. No worse than Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Bieksa this season.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.