Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
249 replies to this topic

#241 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

If you think the Sedins took a beating during the playoffs, just wait and see what happens to the miniscule Schroeder. He has wheels and does scrap for the puck on the boards but this kid is going to get mowed down by someone like Chara.
Cody has a superior scoring touch as compared to Schroeder but is not as good defensively. Cody is gone because he wants to be a top 6 and was not going to beat out Henrik or Kesler for those top 2 centre jobs. He did what he thought best for his career so you can't blame him for that.
Is Schroeder a top 6 centre? Not likely when Kesler returns. Is he a 3rd line centre? Maybe but he is going to need big wingers that can handle the rough going. I compare Schroeder to Ebbet....has some skill and is a reliable callup but not big enough for an 86 game schedule.I don't see the point of the negative Cody post. It has worked out for both teams and really you should be happy that we have Kassian.

Edited by bluesman60, 08 February 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#242 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Time will tell, but I doubt it.

But Schroeder is a good team guy, and is willing to play wherever/however he is needed. Let's not sell him short...

(tee hee!)
Posted Image

#243 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

He has wheels and does scrap for the puck on the boards but this kid is going to get mowed down by someone like Chara.

Or...like Fistric?
Posted Image

#244 nuck7635

nuck7635

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

If you think the Sedins took a beating during the playoffs, just wait and see what happens to the miniscule Schroeder. He has wheels and does scrap for the puck on the boards but this kid is going to get mowed down by someone like Chara.
Cody has a superior scoring touch as compared to Schroeder but is not as good defensively. Cody is gone because he wants to be a top 6 and was not going to beat out Henrik or Kesler for those top 2 centre jobs. He did what he thought best for his career so you can't blame him for that.
Is Schroeder a top 6 centre? Not likely when Kesler returns. Is he a 3rd line centre? Maybe but he is going to need big wingers that can handle the rough going. I compare Schroeder to Ebbet....has some skill and is a reliable callup but not big enough for an 86 game schedule.I don't see the point of the negative Cody post. It has worked out for both teams and really you should be happy that we have Kassian.

Why does Schroeder have to move down if Kesler comes back?
Kesler showed with Sundin and Demitra he's just as lethal playing wing. Schroeder centering a line of Kesler and Higgins/Booth/Kassian could be really good.

Kes hasn't had anyone that can feed him the puck since Demitra (RIP).

#245 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Why does Schroeder have to move down if Kesler comes back?
Kesler showed with Sundin and Demitra he's just as lethal playing wing. Schroeder centering a line of Kesler and Higgins/Booth/Kassian could be really good.

Kes hasn't had anyone that can feed him the puck since Demitra (RIP).

I think you'd see Schroeder at RW long before you'd see Kesler playing wing for Schroeder - and I like the idea of a pair of centers on a line but with Burrows on the top line, and Hansen on the third, I think it's most likely Booth Kesler Kassian - and Kassian is no slouch when it comes to finding his line-mates with sweet passes - either Kassian or Schroeder imo could be really nice fits for that line.

#246 nuck7635

nuck7635

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think you'd see Schroeder at RW long before you'd see Kesler playing wing for Schroeder - and I like the idea of a pair of centers on a line but with Burrows on the top line, and Hansen on the third, I think it's most likely Booth Kesler Kassian - and Kassian is no slouch when it comes to finding his line-mates with sweet passes - either Kassian or Schroeder imo could be really nice fits for that line.

Schroeder isn't as effective at wing which is why he doesn't play there.
Kassian can pass for sure but he doesn't really have the speed to keep up with Kesler's line.

It was pretty evident Kassian was even slowing the Sedins down. Just look at how much faster they became when Burrows slotted back in.

Though I suppose Schroeder learning how to play on a Selke winner's wing can't hurt.. at least if Schroeder's on a line with Kesler you know defensive coverage is going to be pretty darn good and you have two centers who can skate, win draws and hopefully find some good chemistry.

#247 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Schroeder isn't as effective at wing which is why he doesn't play there.
Kassian can pass for sure but he doesn't really have the speed to keep up with Kesler's line.

It was pretty evident Kassian was even slowing the Sedins down. Just look at how much faster they became when Burrows slotted back in.

Though I suppose Schroeder learning how to play on a Selke winner's wing can't hurt.. at least if Schroeder's on a line with Kesler you know defensive coverage is going to be pretty darn good and you have two centers who can skate, win draws and hopefully find some good chemistry.

Disagree regarding Kassian - he didn't 'slow the twins down', and he has plenty of speed.
The issue with the Sedins imo is that Burrows is an unreal puck pursuer, knows exactly how to play triplet to the twins, and is as good a two way player as they come, which takes a lot of weight off Henrik's shoulders the whole length of the ice.
Kassian did an excellent job of playing with them - there is simply only one Alex Burrows however.

#248 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Jordon is proving to be a solid NHL player, but I can't see his projection higher than Cody. Both these guys are in the developmental stage in their careers, so they will improve in their weaker areas. They are both very hard working, dedicated individuals.

That being said, when Coho finds his defensive game (which was pretty solid when he was a jr.), he will be a pretty decent 1st/2nd line C.

Schroeder will improve his scoring stats, but I don't think he will ever come close to Hodgson in numbers. His size will be a problem for him, so unless he switches to W, he will probably be a 3rd liner.

Of course many Canuck fans are still crying because Cody wanted out, so they will continue to bash anything he does.

Soon, I expect to see the thread: "Dale Wiese > Cody Hodgson..."

#249 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Even when Schroeder was drafted by the Canucks, the big prediction on cdc was that he would'nt last two minutes in the NHL because of his size.From what I've seen so far,he's going into the greasy areas without fear,and not coughing up the puck either.AV is not giving him sheltered minutes.Why could'nt he play in the playoffs?..Should Marty St Louis take a raincheck because of his size come playoff time?

#250 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,097 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Jordon is proving to be a solid NHL player, but I can't see his projection higher than Cody. Both these guys are in the developmental stage in their careers, so they will improve in their weaker areas. They are both very hard working, dedicated individuals.

That being said, when Coho finds his defensive game (which was pretty solid when he was a jr.), he will be a pretty decent 1st/2nd line C.

Schroeder will improve his scoring stats, but I don't think he will ever come close to Hodgson in numbers. His size will be a problem for him, so unless he switches to W, he will probably be a 3rd liner.

Of course many Canuck fans are still crying because Cody wanted out, so they will continue to bash anything he does.

Soon, I expect to see the thread: "Dale Wiese > Cody Hodgson..."

There's no guarantee that Hodgson will ever be able to be relied on defensively in the NHL. He simply doesn't have a long enough stride to check great skaters and cover ground to break up chances.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.