The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

There is no question that on the defensive side of the puck, Schroeder is more reliable. From his speed to his work ethic, Schroeder's tenacity to back check is what earns him points in the eyes of the Canucks management and coaching staff. This even lead to him getting an overtime shift in his first game as a Canuck.

Schroeder's developement in the AHL has been below expectations from a pure point production. The Wolves however, are not offensive juggernauts, especially under head coach Scott Arniel.

That said, the ceiling on Schroeder is still unknown. In his junior/univeristy career, he has shown the ability to put up above average points in a solid two-way game, playing with nobody.

Hodgson's junior career was pure offense. Cody was able to 92 Pts in 53 games with linemates, Evgeny Grachev(80pts) and Matt Duchene (79pts) in 2008-2009. He was CHL player of the year and played extremely well in the WJHC.

So how do you compare, let's take a look at the only even playing field.

2010-2011 Regular Season Stats:

CH: 52gp 17g 13a 30pts +8 (with Canucks 8gp 1g 1a 2pts)

JS: 61gp 10g 18a 28pts -7

2010-2011 Playoff Season Stats:

CH: 12gp 0g 1a 1pts

JS: 14gp 1g 5a 6pts

IMO, they are virtually the same player, the "offensive talent that CH possesses isn't far off what Schroeder can produce. Playing with Matt Duchene in Brampton was a clear advantage in the offensive development and reflects in his junior numbers. On the flip side, Schroeder is that much better defensively either, the minus number in the AHL shows me that Schroeder struggled to adjust to the speed and strength of professional hockey, even at the AHL level. He put up similar numbers to CH and did it one year younger.

All in all, neither player's base skill-set is far and away better than the other. With the exception of foot speed, advantage Schroeder.

We haven't even begun to discuss the attitudes and work ethic of each player. From the two games I've seen, I've seen JS work harder in battles along the boards, park himself in front of the net and retrieve loose pucks in the defensive zone, I never saw any of this with Cody.

Cody made himself expendable, and although the trade was a Win-Win for both teams, I think we won more, with Schroeder in the wings, Cody was expendable and Kassian has the POTENTIAL to be a dominant force for years to come, but that's another thread :)

Smashian Kassian:

But I have been thinking about it, and the fact that this is Jordan's 1st opportunity in the league. The real comparison that should be made is:

Jordan now vs Cody in 10/11

Astute suggestion with 1 major flaw in your argument. Kesler wasn't injured in 10/11. So Schroeder is going to get a long look by the coaches and management. That alone is going to give him a better chance to succeed.

2013 Schroeder: GP 3, 1 assist

2010/11 Hodgson: GP 8, 1 goal and 1 assist

I wouldn't say Schroeder is blowing Hodgson out of the water with those stats. In fact I'd say they are playing at a similar level.

Hodgson is gone, and odds are he'll never be back in a Canuck uniform. Time to move on. Let's hope that Schroeder turns into a productive forward.

Neutral zone faceoffs are rathing meaningless. Often times centres purposely lose neutral zone faceoffs to give the opposition a false sense of ease to set them up for failure on a much more critical draw later on.

CoHo's Dzone draws through 1st 5gp: 13 for 40 good for a 32.5% winning percentage (ummm, YIKES)

CoHo's Ozone draws through 1st 5gp: 15 for 32 good for a 46.9% winning percentage (about what you'd expect from a sophomore)

JS's Dzone draws through 1st 3gp: 6 for 9 good for a 66% winning percentage (tremendously small sample size)

JS's Ozone draws through 1st 3gp: 7 for 18 good for a 38.9% winning percentage (about what you'd expect from a rookie)

If I were Ruff, I'd start looking elsewhere for Dzone faceoffs until CoHo starts owning Ott in practice.

Well, that's one player quoted out of those mentioned. And he never specifically stated that he did precisely that. Losing face offs intentionally might also explain Reasoner's less than stellar NHL career. But lets assume he did/does lose face offs intentionally for the sake of argument. So you contend Schroeder, NHL rookie, marginal prospect was intentionally losing faceoffs because Reasoner stated that he intentionally did a few years ago?

Just a little Kassian vs Hodgson comparison - relative corsi thus far this season:

Kassian 6th on the Canucks at +14.9

Hodgson 24th on Buffalo at -6.8

Kassian quality of competition +.458, 5th strongest on the Canucks.

Hodgson -.035 - 20th stongest competiton faced on Buffalo.

Archived