The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

I was and am concerned that Garrison might be a one hit wonder, but it's still very early and he'll probably need a bit more time to get really comfortable. If we dont see any flashes of what made him successful last year soon, then maybe we can start worrying.

What was most concerning to me about his career season last year was how few assists he had. Sure he had 16 goals but maybe (not very likely) he was just getting lucky, hammering the puck, hoping for the best, and it worked 16 times. I hope very much that I'm wrong though.

I thought the Canucks learned their lesson. No more Florida guys. Ballard and Booth have already been big disappointments.

Garrison isn't really helped by the fact he is paired with erratic Edler and neither guy seems comfortable playing on the right side.

Time will tell.. though obviously It's a little to early to be worrying about Garrison.

Maybe if AV knew how to coax newly acquired players into playing a simple game and getting them acclimated to the system in less than a full year and a half, players like Booth, Ballard, Garrison, and ALL OF OUR PROSPECTS wouldn't look like complete flops on Gillis's part.

Look at the acquisitions and prospects who have seen success here.

Lapierre. Kept it simple. And amusing.

Higgins knows simple, and only simple.

Schroeder so far, who plays hard. Nothing fancy.

Hamhuis. Very simple.

Tanev. Simple.

Now look at Booth. Then Ballard. Then Kassian's first season here. Now Garrison. Hodgson?

I'm sorry, but players don't take THIS FREAKIN LONG to adjust. This process should be a LOT shorter than a year! What the hell is happening here? Our system is simple... so simple, in fact, that it gets ripped to shreds every year in the play-offs... yet... every one of our trades comes out looking stupid for the first LONG time.

Thank god Kassian is young and can still adapt quickly... he's managed to pull through this non-sense. ...10 months!

One small snippet of bad coaching.

If the coaching staff and management of the Canucks thought the way a lot of the forum members think, there would be no Burrows , Kesler. Sedins ect... The amount of useless topic started the last couple weeks is making this forum look stupid beyond belief.

Six games and the panic button is about worn out already.

Maybe if AV knew how to coax newly acquired players into playing a simple game and getting them acclimated to the system in less than a full year and a half, players like Booth, Ballard, Garrison, and ALL OF OUR PROSPECTS wouldn't look like complete flops on Gillis's part.

Look at the acquisitions and prospects who have seen success here.

Lapierre. Kept it simple. And amusing.

Higgins knows simple, and only simple.

Schroeder so far, who plays hard. Nothing fancy.

Hamhuis. Very simple.

Tanev. Simple.

Now look at Booth. Then Ballard. Then Kassian's first season here. Now Garrison. Hodgson?

I'm sorry, but players don't take THIS FREAKIN LONG to adjust. This process should be a LOT shorter than a year! What the hell is happening here? Our system is simple... so simple, in fact, that it gets ripped to shreds every year in the play-offs... yet... every one of our trades comes out looking stupid for the first LONG time.

Thank god Kassian is young and can still adapt quickly... he's managed to pull through this non-sense. ...10 months!

One small snippet of bad coaching.

Ok then, Garrison is being labeled with only 6 games played as a flop. Nice!

Ok then, Garrison is being labeled with only 6 games played as a flop. Nice!

tl;dr

Care to simplify?

And yeah, Garrison has displayed complete flop. Is it his fault, not necessarily. Perhaps if you read my post... but seriously, why is Garrison trying to make everything so damned complicated?

Moving away from the point during PP, creeping towards the net and guess what? NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE TO PASS TO! Keep it simple, stupid. He does this every time he's in the offensive zone. You really gotta get in the grove before you start thinking outside the box.

Oh, then there's his "creativity" in the defensive zone. Nice pass... to the other players. CLEAR THE PUCK! HIT THE PLAYERS! SHOOT FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER! Seriously, why is Garrison passing in the offensive zone? Just shoot!

He's completely confused out there. He isn't keeping it simple, and it is VERY clear is isn't even trying to simplify because nobody has told him to. That kind of crap is on the coach, and guess what? It ain't happening.

Same thing happened with Ballard. Defensive zone "creativity". It must be something they do down in Florida or something... At any rate, that crap is on Bowness's shoulders and, ultimately, AV's as well.

Get a grip and read a post instead of flaunting your ignorance about.

People were screaming that kassian for hodgson was a bust and we'd be screwed all because people weren't giving kassian the time to get comfortable with the new team and garrison is no different. He needs time to develop chemistry and get used to the canucks playing style. The lockout didn't help that fact and neither will making threads on it.

Yea, this is very obviously the case Soren(unless it's a JBo scenario, which I hope it's not).

The point I'm putting forward is there is becoming a common trend of players not "getting it" after a full year. Kassian finally got it in 10 months. You can't believe that's normal... Gillis's trades have a very rough track record at the moment, and I'm under the strong impression that this is a result of the new players not being properly acclimated into the "system", and I feel that this falls on the coaches' shoulders.

Here, we've seen many players come in, and most haven't fit. But isn't that silly? Why does Ballard have to fit into a SPECIFIC system? He's a 4.2 million dollar player, and he WAS well worth it, which is why Gillis traded for him. So why then, after giving up so much for him, is he not allowed to flourish under the supposed versatility of our players? Because our "system" (and by that, I mean the coach V) isn;t in the least bi flexible?

Hodgson was no different, and look where that led him. No ice time, just like Ballard. Only difference is Hodgson's daddy asked for a trade. Meanwhile, us stupid fans chastise the guy for it... but what would YOU do in his shoes? Hodgson and co. saw a flaw in our "system" (and by that, I mean coach V again), and wanted out. Hodgson and co wanted OUT of the VANCOUVER CANUCKS, with Mike Gillis as the GM, and a good fanbase (yes, a common misconception) because of the Coach. You know who else wanted out because of the "system" (and by that, I AGAIN mean coach V)? Trevor Linden. Markus Naslund. Just to name a couple.

Then there's Booth... well, you could blame his shortcomings on injuries... but what moron plays Booth with Kesler without telling Kesler to PASS once in a while? And even if coach V DID try to get Kesler to pass, why didn't KESLER get benched for being disobedient? The players run the show here, and that's NOT cool. Kesler was injured anyways, but coach V rode him like a mule. Are you KIDDING me?

Meanwhile, a couple players have fit in nicely, and AV sends them gift-wrapped free passes as a result. Suck up to the SYSTEM, and look where it gets players like Raymons, Ebbett, Rome in the past, Wiese, among many many many many many others. This is a common trend, and its NOT cool.

I'm glad Schroeder figured it out early. The "system" is broken. The "system" is a clique. If you don't kiss ass, you're not in the secret circle, and that lands you on the pine more often than not.

AV has run Linden, Naslund, Hodgson, among others out of town. Is it not time to run him out of town?

I'll try to get back on topic, although my long-winded speech has purpose:

Garrison is not buying into the "system". Whether AV and co have even tried to reign him in is yet to be seen. From what I've seen so far, it's a complete and utter LACK of simplicity, and it's resulting in a lot of unreadable plays on Garrison's part. I'm sure if there were chemistry there, people would be singing his praises all the way to Yale Town for his "nifty plays". However, until that chemistry forms, Garrison needs to simplify his game. HE'S DOING IT WRONG! And at this rate, it wont be long before he's riding the pine like Ballard was.

I don't get why Edler gets a free pass... he's been playing awful, too, which makes Garrison look even worse. But look who gets the shootout opportunities!

He needs time to adjust, just like any other player who joins a new team and is expected to assume a large role immediately. You have to remember the human side to hockey players, the guy who's trying to fit in somewhere in the locker room dynamic, trying to make friends - it's a workplace. I don't get the sense that he's not a personable guy, though. Seems as though he's already 'in' with the group.

I do think we'll end up regretting that 4.6 AAV, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Exactly.

I mean of course it takes time to adjust to a new team. Just look at Sami Salo in TB. Sure he could have been had for cheaper but he is really struggling adjusting to play in TB.

Look at stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

Exactly.

I mean of course it takes time to adjust to a new team. Just look at Sami Salo in TB. Sure he could have been had for cheaper but he is really struggling adjusting to play in TB.

Look at stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

Yeah, poor Garrison. I feel bad he moved home and got the hell off that terrible Florida team. I hope he fits in! Poor guy...

Agree this guy has NOT looked good, but it's still too early to say that he's over hyped or over exposed. It's only 6 games into the season, most of the Canucks opted to sit out during the lockout as well, meaning most of them haven't played hockey for 9 months. You can see everybody's timing is still off, he also has to adjust to play in a more offensive system where he has the green light to make plays whereas in Florida he played in more of a defensive system. Give him a few games he's going to be a solid dman for us hopefully he can start hitting the net with his shots too.

Archived