203 replies to this topic

#151 Jougo

Jougo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Haha I just love Malhotra's reaction after Tanev scores. And did anyone else notice Kesler's attempt to bomb Tanev's interview?

#152 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Oilers are damn lucky its a 48 game season. Because that defence will not last 82 games. I don't care how well they played so far (Oilers) But they are damn lucky is 48 games instead of 82.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#153 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well,CDC had him slotted in for Salo2 when,in fact,he is Hamhuis 2 or 3.

Well done ,Mr. Tanev.

#154 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Good that we put those kids on the Oilers team in their place....after all, they are just the Edmonton Oilers.

Oh get over it ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#155 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

One thing you also noticed at the game was Ballard's defensive ability. Him and Hamhuis looked like absolute studs.

Posted Image

#156 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hockey is a lot harder to play when everyone plays like a man .. difference between AHL and NHL ..

Eager agrees....begrudgingly.

As this game rolled on, Edmonton players were dodging checks even when none were thrown. They were just so afraid to get hit. Since when do players flinch when the Canucks come near them? If we can keep playing the physical game we've been playing so far, no one will have enough players to field a decent lineup against us.

We have some scoring woes as a result of injuries but full credit go to our guys for breaking faces with the best of them. Also, despite everyone constantly saying that we should trade the entire d corps when we don't post a shutout, they are playing damned well. (By the way, we are one of only 3 teams to have 2 shutouts this season; the only one that doesn't play the trap constantly). There's room for improvement but our back end is arguably the best out there.

Keswho.jpg

#157 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh and also I thought that was Bieksa's second strongest game. He separated a lot of guys off of pucks. Elder I felt had the roughest time on D. Tanev didn't seem as poised tonight but damn he made up for it. And you might not have noticed it but Ballard created that opportunity for Tanev's goal.

Posted Image

#158 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Kevin Bieksa@kbieksa3

@zkassian9 How about our boy Tanman!!! Only waits till end of OT to pot the 1st one! Good thing he put out his smoke before the celebration!

Kudos to AV tonight. Moved Burr back with Sedins and gave Tanev some OT time when he didn't have his best game (although, his 'not so good game' is some d-mens 'best game' lol). Gave Schroeder 18+TOI tonight cause he was flying. Good coaching IMO.

And TANEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!! I screamed so loud my voice is now hoarse. His interview after the game was the funniest interview ever. #awkward

Edited by RunningWild, 05 February 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#159 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Did anyone else hear John Garret laughing when Tanev and the Canucks were celebrating? :lol: loved it

#160 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Had the highest +/- on the team for weeks until tonight. A game winning goal to his name, has taken almost zero stupid penalties and shoots more than most of our forwards. Yeah, what a horrible signing. I'm fairly certain you're not very good at basing your opinion on facts.

Plus minus is probably the least useful stat when determining the individual performance of a player. Almost as bad as basing a pitcher's talent on wins in baseball. I've been to every home game this year, he doesn't look like he's an above average player. He has trouble getting his shot off (which is supposed to be a huge talent of his), but that might be a result of his partners. 33% of his shots came in the past two games? I'm not sure how he's this amazing shooter.

A GWG that comes in the first period doesn't jump out to me as "clutch". It's a testament to the goaltending. Tanev's goal is a "game winning" goal.

Has taken almost taken zero stupid penalties? do you even remember the two penalties he took against Chicago? In OT? Kane embellished, but Garrison put himself in a poor position on the play and tried to slash his hands instead of going for the puck.

He's shown so far that he's average at best. However, I do concede its been a very very small sample size, and many Canuck players have played relatively poorly. Hamhuis struggled pretty obviously early on, he's picked it up the past few games, as have Bieksa and Edler.

What I do see, moving forward, is a struggling power play that can't seem to open many lanes to pass or shoot, and a penalty kill that has also struggled. While historically, special teams have been one of the Canucks' greatest strengths, the only real new addition I see on both ends, is the addition of Garrison. And also the lack of Kesler. (Which is also a pretty big deal.)

I think Garrison has more to give, and I hope he does. But to pretend he's been "good" is like putting your head in the sand.

#161 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Best post-game recap title ever from Canucks Army:

CANUCKS LIGHT THAT DOOBIE RIGHT UP

#162 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

so what was the reason Kassian got tossed from the 1st line looked like they had a few chances in the first when no one else did anything...
either way Burr looked good with the twins as usual,
Luu was great,
and over all it was a good game.

That was more about getting the twins going. AV wanted to give them someone they are more familiar with to try to get them some confindance back. Was not a reflection of Kassian's play. (as per Gary Valk in the post game talk)

#163 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Oilers got fruit looped by the talented Tanev.
Mr. Clutch

#164 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Feel good moment of the year

0au3Jj.gif

#165 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Happy for tanev

#166 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wait, does Tanev smoke or something? What's with all these cigarette jokes....Or am I just derping...
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#167 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

doobie = Dubnyk

#168 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,692 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Three things.

Tanev and Ballard continue to be the Canucks best D pair.

Bieksa, dear god up your intensity.  Fluke goal notwithstanding, you were brutal, again.

Memo to Nail Yakupov, that is how you celebrate your first NHL Goal (OT winner to boot). #Classy Chris Tanev.

I can't say I agree with you on the first point. Not even considering they've been getting the easiest opposition, but Ballard was all over tonight. I thought Tanev was good though, even before the goal.

Bieksa made some mistakes for sure, and Tanev was cool, calm and collected (either that or in shock).

Schneids up next and hopefully a goal for Schroeder, who was involved today but just seemed to be rushing some plays or not attacking when he had opportunities (apart from the shot that went wide of course).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#169 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Wait, does Tanev smoke or something? What's with all these cigarette jokes....Or am I just derping...

Bieksa once said in an interview that Tanev plays it so cool he might as well be smoking a cigarette... or basically something like that

#170 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

GG Tanev

Edited by Django, 05 February 2013 - 01:09 AM.

Posted Image

#171 Blue Line

Blue Line

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

Just squeezed by

#172 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Plus minus is probably the least useful stat when determining the individual performance of a player. Almost as bad as basing a pitcher's talent on wins in baseball. I've been to every home game this year, he doesn't look like he's an above average player. He has trouble getting his shot off (which is supposed to be a huge talent of his), but that might be a result of his partners. 33% of his shots came in the past two games? I'm not sure how he's this amazing shooter.

We could talk about his relative corsi if you like (top 3 on the team and has been for quite some time). This shows that his plus minus is no accident but a result of his good play, and his chemistry with Edler.

Has taken almost taken zero stupid penalties? do you even remember the two penalties he took against Chicago? In OT? Kane embellished, but Garrison put himself in a poor position on the play and tried to slash his hands instead of going for the puck.

Slashing at his hands, yet the call with a high stick. Kane could have snapped his head back while on the bench and Garrison would have gotten that penalty.

What I do see, moving forward, is a struggling power play that can't seem to open many lanes to pass or shoot, and a penalty kill that has also struggled. While historically, special teams have been one of the Canucks' greatest strengths, the only real new addition I see on both ends, is the addition of Garrison. And also the lack of Kesler. (Which is also a pretty big deal.)

Yeah, having one decent PP line instead of two might be a big deal. I'd say the lack of one of the most important players on our 1st unit might be a bigger issue. As you say, the point shot is ineffective because the lanes are not open. The lanes open by driving to the net and getting on rebounds quickly. These are not the responsibilities of a d man. He's putting shots on. They're simply being blocked. Also those shots will soon be getting through regardless, if for no reason other than how many people are getting hurt blocking slappers coming from our blue line. Horcoff wasn't the first.

Keswho.jpg

#173 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Bieksa once said in an interview that Tanev plays it so cool he might as well be smoking a cigarette... or basically something like that

Yeah it was after game 5 of the Bruins series:

"He could have played with a cigarette in his mouth," Bieksa said of Tanev, who was calm and collected in 12:15 of ice time. "Everyone saw the way he played — very cool, very consistent with the puck."

edit- I should add that I've always found that to be a funny quote. Bieksa's 'thing' has always been that he plays with a sort of nonchalant edge to him, but Tanev does it so much better. I remember reading a story on Tanev when he was first making a name for himself in that season, about how, because he was so short when he was young, he learned to turn away from big hits, absorb them, and pop right back up. I'm still not sure whether that was a sarcastic quote from Bieksa wishing he could do it so effortlessly (or rather, without becoming angry at the attack) or if Tanev took his cue from Bieksa in the big leagues.

Edited by The Bookie, 05 February 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#174 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Get well soon AV, and try not to infect anyone. Although, I thought I saw Hank trying to discretely blow a snot ball out of his nose. He got caught.

CONGRATS TO TANEV!! What a way to be. :towel:
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#175 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

Luuuuuuuuuu!
good job tanev!

#176 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Three things.

Tanev and Ballard continue to be the Canucks best D pair.

Bieksa, dear god up your intensity. Fluke goal notwithstanding, you were brutal, again.

Memo to Nail Yakupov, that is how you celebrate your first NHL Goal (OT winner to boot). #Classy Chris Tanev.

I've actually liked Bieksa this year so far.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#177 cupbearer

cupbearer

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Canucks should really invest in Kessel. I mean, the Oilers' team is getting better season by season, and we need some skilled players to offset some of these emerging stars.

You mean the Kessel with 4 points in 9 games, and NO GOALS?? Spare me, let him rot in Toronto.

#178 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

:towel:

Great job, boys!!!!
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#179 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,838 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Oh and also I thought that was Bieksa's second strongest game. He separated a lot of guys off of pucks. Elder I felt had the roughest time on D. Tanev didn't seem as poised tonight but damn he made up for it. And you might not have noticed it but Ballard created that opportunity for Tanev's goal.

I did notice that. Great job of keeping the puck in and a pretty sweet soccer-style feed to Danny that started the whole play. It's too bad they don't give out third assists for plays like that...

I've actually liked Bieksa this year so far.

He's had his good games and not so good games, but I don't know what game that other poster was watching last night.

I don't have access to the stat, but I'd bet the farm that Juice led the team in hits by a country mile last night. He had one shift in the third where he had a couple of giveaways, but other than that he was solid, blocking several shots and hitting everything in sight.

Also, I'm sure people are blaming him for the short-handed goal, but if you go back and watch, the puck deflects off of the referee's skate, and skips past where he was expecting Eddie's pass to be, which was right along the boards.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#180 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,169 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Time to ride the Schneid for a while.........Luongo looked shaky last night to anyone who knows anything about the goaltending position. He made some saves that looked fantastic, but they were stops that should have been pretty routine for a goalie in the correct position. I always tell my goals 95% of saves that look spectacular are because you were out of position.......that was Lu last night.......he had several fumbles with his trapper as well. He clearly needs some rest, and I doubt MG wants him in there for a stinker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.