The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo/Schneider shining as backups

Sixteen W's

yeah 2011 playoffs didn't happen or w.e You know whenever he does good it's just omitted...you know winning gold in OT in the city his NHL team is in, there wasn't any pressure on him...he was the best player in the 2 games he lost to L.A in the playoffs last season. But nope none of it ever happened..Luongo is just plain horrible!

Okay, so let me get this straight:

- Luongo is by far the best goalie this team has ever had (I agree)

- Luongo is the #2 goalie in the league right now, by the numbers (fact)

And the solution is to trade him? IF I had only known! HO - LEE Crap

No. You know what needs to happen, we retire his number here in Vancouver after another 3-5 seasons and in the meantime have some staffers at Rogers wheel out a solid oak desk to the blue line every opening skate out. Have a nice briefcase laid out on the desk. Lu can skate over to it, while everyone else is doing laps, pull out a pair of brass balls and recite the Alec Baldwin monologue from Glengary Glen Ross every single home game until he retires.

so who takes over when Luongo retires in 3-5 years cause right now Schneider is the closest to being a starter after that we have Lack and Cannata who have yet to play in the nhl it took Schneider 3 years in the Ahl and 2 years in the Nhl as backup to become a starter so we would pretty much be throwing Lack or Cannata into a starting job which they may not be ready for the Canucks need to keep Schneider for the future because with him we have a starting goalie for 10 years minimum

They're both capable goalies, best tandem in the NHL in my opinion... My bet is that Schneids starts next game though, give Lu a much earned rest. (Not because he usually gets lit up in Minnesota) lol I just don't want Schneider to get rusty or all of a sudden lose a bit of confidence, he needs to be playing at least once or twice every couple games.

There's still plenty of season left for each of them to get a lot of games in.. Unless Lu gets traded to Washington. :bigblush:

Jeez, there is a hysterical, historical edit. Luongo sucked in the playoffs against LA last year - he had the worst stats of any goalie in the playoffs who played more than one game - Schneider, had the best GAA and save %. Luongo was also middle of the pack during the regular season last year, while Schneider was second or third. But that was last year. This year, after training with Allaire, he is a different goalie and looks great - all of the horrible stuff from last year - slow side to side, beat over the glove, beat through the five hole, bad positioning on the post, has pretty much disappeared this year - along with his traditional slow start. You can't change history just because he is playing well now - just be happy he is playing well now.

This happened in Boston two years ago. Tim Thomas lost his starting job to an up and coming Tuuka Rask. The next season, he stole his job back and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

I'm not sure management ever came out and said that the job belonged to Schneider anyway, I would blame the local media and fans for making that proclamation, anyway. I have no problems with Luongo being the number one for this season, and continue to ride the hot hand.

Archived