The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drinking and driving.

avelanch

Guest Gumballthechewy

naw, not mad. Its good ya'll don't drink and drive. Just don't need to wave it around saying your better than this other guy who doesn't drink and drive because of a couple irrelivant details.

and there's a limit for blood alcohol for a reason. One drink/beer is perfectly fine to drive with as long as your a safe driver in the first place. Hell of a lot safer than texting and driving.

Please don't edit my post.

Context, 20 years ago or today.

Anyone who is 35+ years of age and tells me with absolute certainty what you and Avelanch are saying makes me not believe them. Not sure how old you guys are.

Our society did not hold the same views towards drinking and driving in the 80's or the 90's as it does today.

Having a couple of beers and driving was common when I was in high school. Good thing I didn't have a car other wise I would have pbbly done it too.

I've got a friend who always parks his car at my house when we go out. He parks, and crashes on my couch for the night. But every single time, he decides he's going to go home when we return to my house. The first time, he lived approximately two blocks away and it was after a high school grad party so we had a sober, neutral third party (who does not drive) determine if he was good to go. I had passed out, and it was determined he was all right to drive home. I was furious the next morning. Because I knew what he had drank. Anyways. The next time we went out, I told him before we left that I wanted his keys. I had his keys in my pocket the whole night. When we got back to my place, I ended up falling asleep. While I was asleep, he took the keys out of my pocket and drove himself home. He was obliterated. He lived approx. 5 minutes away, which is more than enough time to do something he'd regret. He ended up backing into a fire hydrant, and although the damage was minimal the repair cost was high (something like $200) so I figured that'd deter him from doing it again.

Well, he did it again one night. I wasn't present, however. He came across a roadblock, and was of course charged with a DUI. This was actually at the beginning of December, just a few weeks after his 19th. Even though he's my friend, I'm glad he was pulled over and punished because he's an idiot for putting himself, and others, at risk on THREE separate occasions. I still regularly give him a really hard time about it, the knuckleheaded dummy.

I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was young. Drinking and driving was one of them. Being reckless, drunk and feeling invincible is something I probably should have died from, or at the very least gotten a DUI from. I feel very fortunate to still be here to look back on my stupidity with shame.

I don't press my luck anymore. I rarely drink these days, and when I do - I definitely won't touch a sip if I have to drive somewhere.

Not only do I value my life more, but my income and career depend on having a license. It's not worth it.

If I drive to a bar I'll usually leave my car parked overnight & cab home. Only reason I don't cab to bars is because it's so costly, unless it's a club.

I did it once though, in a camp ground in Jasper. We were like the only ones there & there was 450 camping spots. There had been a grizzly bear roaming around nightly they were saying, so I thought it would be a great idea to try and find it.... the things you do drunk, eh?

If I drive to a bar I'll usually leave my car parked overnight & cab home. Only reason I don't cab to bars is because it's so costly, unless it's a club.

I did it once though, in a camp ground in Jasper. We were like the only ones there & there was 450 camping spots. There had been a grizzly bear roaming around nightly they were saying, so I thought it would be a great idea to try and find it.... the things you do drunk, eh?

Archived