114 replies to this topic

#31 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Edler on the right side on the PP forces him to play the puck on his backhand when it comes around the boards. He clearly isn't used to this, and is often bobbling the puck on his backhand or trying to play the puck with his skate. Switch him to the left side on the 2nd PP unit. He seems apprehensive to shoot, and this may be because he's worried about giving up puck possession when he's on the ice with the Sedins. Let him play on the second unit where he might not feel as much pressure to get the Sedins the puck.

Agreed with this, and on that note I want to point out that I don't like Daniel on the point. He doesn't have a nearly threatening enough shot to be effective from there and he's not a powerplay quarterback either so his playmaking abilities aren't really being put to the best use in that position. I'd like to see Daniel down low on the right side, where he's on his off wing and can easily score those nice tap-ins, and Kesler on the point on the right side, which would allow Edler to go back to his normal position on the left side. Put Kassian down low as the net presence and then I think you'd have the perfect PP set-up.

Kassian - H. Sedin - D. Sedin

Edler - Kesler

Anyway, carry on with the Edler discussion.

#32 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Right now, Edler's problems are AV's fault. This right side experiment is hindering his entrance into prime. This should be left to Garrison.

Aside from that, and his brutal drop passes (coaching should say NO MORE!), my beef with Edler lies in his physical inconsistency. We all know what kind of force Edler can be. It just bothers me to only see that game come out a few times per season.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#33 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

i wouldn't single edler out he's been the same as the other d-men on this team with the exception of perennial whipping boy ballard (who's looked good) and his partner tanev. the "top" 4 have all looked rough making poor decisions, horrible passes and missing the net with shots. time for AV to send a message and let one of them watch a game he could say he drew the name out of a hat from his top 4.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#34 Ohnoeszz

Ohnoeszz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Right now, Edler's problems are AV's fault. This right side experiment is hindering his entrance into prime. This should be left to Garrison.

Aside from that, and his brutal drop passes (coaching should say NO MORE!), my beef with Edler lies in his physical inconsistency. We all know what kind of force Edler can be. It just bothers me to only see that game come out a few times per season.

The right side experiment is exactly what will push him to eliminate the problems that were existent when he played on the left side. He has stride issues turning to his right. They are improvable. His physicality is directly tied to his positional play which is affected by his skating ability. Playing him at RD on defense and the powerplay is going to force him to improve that skating ability and learn the angles he is capable of taking. He will take the body more, when he's in position to take the body more.

If you don't view Edler as an emerging elite defensemen, you are spoilt in your own delusions of what constitutes a defenseman. The posts in here that insinuate that we could trade him for a RD and not lose anything on the blueline are utterly insane. I don't understand how people can be so blind to his skills and ability.

#35 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

If he stays on that side, he will continue to "struggle" until he gets more comfortable. Question will be can the team wait for that, or simply give up and move him back. If they give up, they will lose that as an option. I am sure they will give him a bit more time since the team is doing fairly well right now (even if the last couple haven't been great).

#36 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

It may sound like an excuse but it's just a fact that Edler is playing on his off side. Being a left handed shot it's naturally easier for most to play on the left side but because we have only two right handed d-men he is the one playing on his off side. It'll take him some time to get used to it but he is definitely struggling right now. I know from experience, obviously not at the nhl level, but i'm a righty and my coach asked to play on the left side and it was just so awkward for me personally. Hopefully he gets his game going soon because when he's on he is arguably our best d-man.

This would explain the poor passing but not the sub-par defence and lack of physicality.

For the recored, I'm not bashing Edler, I want nothing more than for him to succeed.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#37 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Edler seems uninterested half the time, strange behaviour for a guy drawing that kind of salary.
maybe he wants to be a winger

Edited by DaMacNamedDre, 18 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#38 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

With 400 games under his belt, Edler needs to become a more rounded dman. Bieksa can also put up the offensive numbers if you want him to go on the offense and leave the rest to his backup partner. When Bieksa was paired with Hamhuis, he developed that side of his game. Many look at it as Hamhuis bailing out Bieksa all the time but now that Hamhuis is struggling, you can see that that was only partially true(that he was the guy providing most of the defense). It is going to take time for Edler to become a more rounded dman so rather than blame the coach, look upon it as the coach offering the chance for Edler to become more defensively responsible.

I've not disagreed with that. I'm saying there are 2 significantly new variables for Edler this season, well 3 if you include a new partner. This is a short season. Points matter, every game actually matters - it's not the time for significant tryouts on the back end. Esp when it's clear, to me anyways, he's not handling one of both of those new variables very well. And esp since they don't need to do the tryout, they have 4 capable high quality shut down guys who have 'proven' to handle those mins effectively.

I'm not 'blaming' the coach, or blaming anyone for that matter. It's my opinion, you're getting a little sensitive over an opinion. I see the change in usage as the 'issue', an 'issue' which falls under the coach. I don't see the value in this adjustment esp since it's not working during a short season.

#39 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

You're severely under-valuing Edler here. The guy is one of the best defensemen in the league and you're saying that he needs to be given easy minutes with the Sedins against weak competition and offensive zone starts. For God's sake, that's an insult to Edler and his abilities.

So he needs to clean up a bit defensively. Ask Chicago fans how much they were clamouring for Duncan Keith to clean it up in the defensive zone the last few years. They'll tell you he looked like a 3rd pairing defenseman. Defensemen who are constantly tidy in their own zone are so unbelievably rare. Ask Nashville fans about Shea Weber, or Wild fans about Ryan Suter. They've been far from perfect as well and they're making $2.5+ million more than Edler.

I'm actually glad that Edler is being used as the go-to shutdown defenseman. Right on! That means the coach has faith in him - and we're talking about a coach who has very little patience for guys not getting it done in their own zone - and it means he's getting a very valuable learning experience that all great defensemen need before they reach the point of being great.

The Canucks are building their defense core around Alex Edler for years to come. Embrace him.

I don't see the value in it. As I've said many times, Nucks have 4 quality shut down guys who have 'proven' to play those minutes. No other team in the league has that. In a short season, why try to force Edler into that role right now? Nothing wrong with Edler eating softer mins with high offensive zone starts, is Letang a bust for playing the same type? Or Doughty, or Keith and Seabrook. They're all eating softer mins this yr --- cause their teams have other effective shut down guys who can handle the role. Play to your strengths, it's a short season.

Edited by RunningWild, 18 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#40 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

All interesting points but I think the next five games will be the telling tale for the defense and Edler in particular. The team needs him to show up on a constant basis. No excuses.

Bieksa's game has drastically improved recently. He has been much more responsible in his own zone and a warrior in general. Taking a puck to the face and coming back? Well played Kevin.

Garrison is finding his groove and is very strong on puck. He is effective in shutting down the opposition. When will the CDC let go of their addiction to stats and points? He needs some time to adjust to a totally different team and system. At least he is consistent.

Hamhuis has suffered since being paired with Edler. His passing and playmaking are taking a dive. He is better than this though.

Ballard and Tanev are the class of the defense right now.

Edler to me is the epitome of the Canucks of two years ago. Inconsistent and soft. We can find reasons for his sub par play, but in my opinion he is a 5 dressed up as a 9.

Henrik Sedin, a man falsely accused of being a soft player, has shown in recent games how durable and truly tough he is. We have our captain and we should be proud. He has risen far above the stupid insults of mentally defective fans of other teams. (Boston I am looking your direction heavily!)

Alex Edler is an average defender with a great shot. To put the future of the Canucks defense corps in his hands is foolish. This idea being bandied about that he will ever win or even compete for a Norris is ridiculous.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 19 February 2013 - 10:34 AM.

Posted Image

#41 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Move along people. There are many threads of Canuck players being trashed today so don't linger too long in this one.

2 losses in a row. Time to blow it up. Why did we wait this long?

Are we going to make a thread for each of our D-men? They have all been guilty of some bad play, so we should just agree everyone needs to be better, or at least more consistent and less prone to bad plays resulting in goals.

It's a discussion board. People come here to discuss.

Why is there a topic for different D-men? Different people have different opinions, some want to talk about Hamhuis, some Edler or whatever. Since they are Canuck players in the Canuck section on a Canucks board, I see no problem with that. Also no one is saying blow the team up but when a player is playing below his abilities, it's natural for fans to talk about it.

I am curious to people that hate these topics, if you all had omnipotant control of this board, what would the allowable topics be?

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#42 Elliot

Elliot

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

What is the purpose of this play, (hinge/drop pass) other than to confuse the fans and slow down the rush? Seriously. Puck protection? Puck control? What am I missing here? It seems to eliminate any rush intensity.
Looks like a staring contest. If anyone knows, please explain.

I can't speak as to why it was implemented, but it was quite effective in recent years. Allowed for entrance into the offensive zone on PP's and such, but has since become predictable. Teams can read it much more effectively, and it at times results in turn overs, odd man rushes, and occaisonally goals. So it's definitely time to add a new way of gaining possession in the offensive zone. We have guys like Kesler, Raymond, Booth that are all quick and can burst into the zone, then it's up to the other guys to get open for them. It can certainly be frustrating watching the guys try this drop pass repeatedly, especially when it's not working. It's not to say that it never does, but it is not nearly as efficient as it was in the past.
Posted Image

#43 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.
I see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between.

Personally would have traded Edler rather then resign him and especially to that foolish huge contract. We are in trouble counting on him and having him play all the minutes he plays this guy is going to kill our chances of success.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler niw we are stuck.

#44 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that i am crazy and he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I finally see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between. Its about time.

Personally would have traded Edler rather then resign him and especially to that foolish huge contract. We are in trouble counting on him and having him play all the minutes he plays this guy is going to kill our chances of success.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler now we are stuck with his useless soft a$$.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 19 February 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#45 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that i am crazy and he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I finally see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between. Its about time.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler now we are stuck with his useless soft a$$.

Posted Image GIFSoup

Over-rated = CDC's most over-used and most annoying word

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#46 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Are we going to make a thread for each of our D-men? They have all been guilty of some bad play, so we should just agree everyone needs to be better, or at least more consistent and less prone to bad plays resulting in goals.

Ill subscribe to that.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#47 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's a discussion board. People come here to discuss.

Why is there a topic for different D-men? Different people have different opinions, some want to talk about Hamhuis, some Edler or whatever. Since they are Canuck players in the Canuck section on a Canucks board, I see no problem with that. Also no one is saying blow the team up but when a player is playing below his abilities, it's natural for fans to talk about it.

I am curious to people that hate these topics, if you all had omnipotant control of this board, what would the allowable topics be?

Well said TimberWolf.
Posted Image

#48 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Gillis did not sign a NTC or NMC for Edler so the Canucks are only stuck with him if they choose to be. The fact that Gillis signed him for $5 M a year makes him a very attractive piece for a trade.
Posted Image

#49 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sadly the Canucks lost their second game in a row today. I have noticed something similar in each one of the losses.

Alex Edler is one the ice and making bad plays. His passing is spot on if his teammates were the skates of the Blues.

He is weak in his own zone and absent physically. He laid out one hit, and was pummelled repeatedly. He was on the ice for the tying and winning goals against the Stars, and was on for two today. I actually witnessed Luongo shove him out of his way.

This is the play of the highest paid defensman on the team? Can somebody explain what Edler's strategy is? Or just put up another impotent facepalm?

The defense is leaderless. Edler should be based on his salary, but he isn't even close. Of the top four he is the largest, yet is also the least physical. Bieksa leads the team with 24 hits and has found his game.

You'd think making five million a year would motivate someone. Give them some consistency.

This is Edler's year to prove himself or I certainly hope he'll be on the trading block.

Yeah I know there are homers here who will defend Edler to the death. Blame Luongo or the Sedins rather than looking at the real issue that the "defense by committtee" idea only gets you so far and that eventually you need a leader on the blueline.

Edler is a forward with an identity crisis. He can score with that cannon of a shot, but he can't clear the crease to save his life. He is this team's most glaring weakness. I've wanted him to prove me wrong, since 2010.

He hasn't.

I can already hear le Choir de Deutsche Baggio piping up.

I agree 100%. I never say anything because of the CDC love affair with him and I want to give our players every chance to prove themselves, but I'm at the end of my rope here.

When you ask what the strategy for Edler is I must say :picard: but you wanted an actual response so here it is. Edler is dumb, or he just can't translate intelligence into hockey IQ. He makes the dumbest plays and reads I've ever seen. Whenever we get scored on and I look for a breakdown, if there is a player I can't quite identify that's effed up brutally I just assume it's Edler and I'm right 90% of the time. Edler is also horribly slow and routinely gets beat clean on the outside. If there is a threshold for speed in the NHL Edler must be pretty close to it. Unforutnately as you mention, he's got great offensive instincts, he's big, and he can shoot the puck hard, although not accurately. Maybe he would be better off as a forward, and then used on the point on the PP or something.

The other mitigating factor is that Bieksa is just as bad if not worse. On good hockey teams you can hide one of these guys in your top 4 if you're good enough but having two guys with the defensive skill of Marc-Andre Bergeron is self-defeating. One solution would be to move him to the third line and limit his minutes against good competition but then you end up penalizing whomever plays with him as well, but that might be for the best.

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#50 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Alex Edler is the most overrated/underrated player on the Vancouver Canucks. CDC at it's finest bi-polar moments.

#51 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

BBB

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 February 2013 - 11:04 AM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#52 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.
I see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler niw we are stuck.

Right, because Joe Blow fans like yourself know better than the GM of the Vancouver Canucks.

Some of you are a real laugh!

#53 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Alex Edler is the most overrated/underrated player on the Vancouver Canucks. CDC at it's finest bi-polar moments.

Yep.

#54 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Right, because Joe Blow fans like yourself know better than the GM of the Vancouver Canucks.

Some of you are a real laugh!

You're the one that's a laugh.

Who said anything about me being better then MG buddy?

I think MG has done a very good in Vancouver for the most part but this signing was a clear mistake to me based on Edlers overall disappointing play.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 19 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#55 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

evaluate on more than a few games - put your memory cells to better use.

#56 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Rick Bowness is an absolute idiot for putting Edler on the right side. We have no reason to have him there now - Hamhuis proved he can comfortably play on the right and Edler clearly isn't playing well there. Him being on the left side also allows him to rush up the ice and use his pass to create opportunities - left hand shot down the left wing. He's a much better passer than a shooter, so this makes sense on the offensive and defensive side of the puck.

I never liked what Bowness and Brown have done to this team - it's not AV's job to coach special teams and the defence, which are our two biggest concerns this season and even spanning back to the last half of last season.

Get rid of these bone-head assistant coaches and Edler will play better.

Yes get rid of them, and give the coaching job to Malhotra. But what to do with Edler, his new contract did not motivate him. It is ironic that Malhotra can't play because the management is concerned about his safety with his reduction in periferal vision, when it seems that Edler has vision problems too. Often he fans on the puck as if his depth perception is off. Maybe he doesn't hit because his stick is too long, who knows. He is playing brutal this season.

#57 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Edler was recovering from injury at the end of last year, and had some trouble / was tentative with decision making. I agree it seems to have passed directly into this season, so I think it is just confidence. He can still find his groove, he just needs time.

Do we really care if he is a bum the first half of this season but finds his game by the end and for the playoffs? Give him a chance... he needs 20-30 games to get on track this year...

Edited by canucksnihilist, 19 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#58 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Gillis did not sign a NTC or NMC for Edler so the Canucks are only stuck with him if they choose to be. The fact that Gillis signed him for $5 M a year makes him a very attractive piece for a trade.

Well that's good and hopefully there's a couple GM's that agree because the way Edler has played for the past few years he's only worth half that amount.

#59 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Well that's good and hopefully there's a couple GM's that agree because the way Edler has played for the past few years he's only worth half that amount.

With the way Edler has played?? He scored 49 points last year and has 10 points in 14 games this year along with being well above average defensively. If he was a defensive stud, which seems to be what a lot of you are expecting out of him, he'd be a 7.5 - 8 million dollar defenseman. As of now, he's being paid a very reasonable $5 million a year to skate on the 1st pairing and anchor both special teams units. He's above average at all those things and he's also on the verge of being a 50 point defenseman. These kind of defenseman are highly coveted league wide. The fact you think Edler is only worth $2.5 mill shows how limited you are in your perspective. Get real.

#60 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Edler only worth $2.5 million :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's rich

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.