The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

L'Orange

Rick Bowness is an absolute idiot for putting Edler on the right side. We have no reason to have him there now - Hamhuis proved he can comfortably play on the right and Edler clearly isn't playing well there. Him being on the left side also allows him to rush up the ice and use his pass to create opportunities - left hand shot down the left wing. He's a much better passer than a shooter, so this makes sense on the offensive and defensive side of the puck.

I never liked what Bowness and Brown have done to this team - it's not AV's job to coach special teams and the defence, which are our two biggest concerns this season and even spanning back to the last half of last season.

Get rid of these bone-head assistant coaches and Edler will play better.

I have wondered about Bowness's coaching for a long time, I guess a couple of losses brings it out. Edler has the Norris potential tag and we wait for that to mature. He hits that extra gear now and then to keep the speculation going. I can appreciate that playing the right side takes some adjustment so I wait. Still don't see why his physical game isn't more consistant and still don't see why he cannot hit the net. Enough with the shootouts!

I have a theory that AV has him on the right side as they evaluate their trade needs from a Lou deal. I still hope for a right side dman with a physical presence.

@Plogue

Not really subscribing to your philosophy ("2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.")

This forum is for exchanging ideas. Nothing wrong with pointing out problems, in a civilized fashion - unless you really think our team is perfect. If we want the cup, we need to be able to identify our weaknesses and fix them - this is harder than it sounds, as the puzzle is a hard one to get right with whatever is available at any given point - and with cap limitations.

Edlers being used differently this yr, and he's playing on his offside - I'd wager that both, or one, of these is to much for him right now. He's being used as the 'shut down' guy, i.e. getting match ups against top line. He's never played this type of role in Van - I don't think it's the best use for him.

I think he'll be ok playing on his offside, but Hamhuis-Juice, or Juice-Garrison need to eat the shutdown mins. Despite what some people believe, Garrison is a grade A defensive defenseman (the underlying #'s support me). So is Bieksa and Hamhuis (though Hammers struggled since paired w/Edler *shocker*). Edler is not a defensive d-man, it's not his wheelhouse. He's best served how he's been used in the past .... high offensive zone starts against weak to medium competition w/ Sedin line.

I don't know why AV is using him differently. IMO, it makes zero sense considering they just acquired Garrison. I put more blame on his usage (ie coach decision) vs him.

Edler on the right side on the PP forces him to play the puck on his backhand when it comes around the boards. He clearly isn't used to this, and is often bobbling the puck on his backhand or trying to play the puck with his skate. Switch him to the left side on the 2nd PP unit. He seems apprehensive to shoot, and this may be because he's worried about giving up puck possession when he's on the ice with the Sedins. Let him play on the second unit where he might not feel as much pressure to get the Sedins the puck.

Edler on the right side on the PP forces him to play the puck on his backhand when it comes around the boards. He clearly isn't used to this, and is often bobbling the puck on his backhand or trying to play the puck with his skate. Switch him to the left side on the 2nd PP unit. He seems apprehensive to shoot, and this may be because he's worried about giving up puck possession when he's on the ice with the Sedins. Let him play on the second unit where he might not feel as much pressure to get the Sedins the puck.

Right now, Edler's problems are AV's fault. This right side experiment is hindering his entrance into prime. This should be left to Garrison.

Aside from that, and his brutal drop passes (coaching should say NO MORE!), my beef with Edler lies in his physical inconsistency. We all know what kind of force Edler can be. It just bothers me to only see that game come out a few times per season.

i wouldn't single edler out he's been the same as the other d-men on this team with the exception of perennial whipping boy ballard (who's looked good) and his partner tanev. the "top" 4 have all looked rough making poor decisions, horrible passes and missing the net with shots. time for AV to send a message and let one of them watch a game he could say he drew the name out of a hat from his top 4.

Right now, Edler's problems are AV's fault. This right side experiment is hindering his entrance into prime. This should be left to Garrison.

Aside from that, and his brutal drop passes (coaching should say NO MORE!), my beef with Edler lies in his physical inconsistency. We all know what kind of force Edler can be. It just bothers me to only see that game come out a few times per season.

If he stays on that side, he will continue to "struggle" until he gets more comfortable. Question will be can the team wait for that, or simply give up and move him back. If they give up, they will lose that as an option. I am sure they will give him a bit more time since the team is doing fairly well right now (even if the last couple haven't been great).

Guest Gumballthechewy

It may sound like an excuse but it's just a fact that Edler is playing on his off side. Being a left handed shot it's naturally easier for most to play on the left side but because we have only two right handed d-men he is the one playing on his off side. It'll take him some time to get used to it but he is definitely struggling right now. I know from experience, obviously not at the nhl level, but i'm a righty and my coach asked to play on the left side and it was just so awkward for me personally. Hopefully he gets his game going soon because when he's on he is arguably our best d-man.

With 400 games under his belt, Edler needs to become a more rounded dman. Bieksa can also put up the offensive numbers if you want him to go on the offense and leave the rest to his backup partner. When Bieksa was paired with Hamhuis, he developed that side of his game. Many look at it as Hamhuis bailing out Bieksa all the time but now that Hamhuis is struggling, you can see that that was only partially true(that he was the guy providing most of the defense). It is going to take time for Edler to become a more rounded dman so rather than blame the coach, look upon it as the coach offering the chance for Edler to become more defensively responsible.

You're severely under-valuing Edler here. The guy is one of the best defensemen in the league and you're saying that he needs to be given easy minutes with the Sedins against weak competition and offensive zone starts. For God's sake, that's an insult to Edler and his abilities.

So he needs to clean up a bit defensively. Ask Chicago fans how much they were clamouring for Duncan Keith to clean it up in the defensive zone the last few years. They'll tell you he looked like a 3rd pairing defenseman. Defensemen who are constantly tidy in their own zone are so unbelievably rare. Ask Nashville fans about Shea Weber, or Wild fans about Ryan Suter. They've been far from perfect as well and they're making $2.5+ million more than Edler.

I'm actually glad that Edler is being used as the go-to shutdown defenseman. Right on! That means the coach has faith in him - and we're talking about a coach who has very little patience for guys not getting it done in their own zone - and it means he's getting a very valuable learning experience that all great defensemen need before they reach the point of being great.

The Canucks are building their defense core around Alex Edler for years to come. Embrace him.

All interesting points but I think the next five games will be the telling tale for the defense and Edler in particular. The team needs him to show up on a constant basis. No excuses.

Bieksa's game has drastically improved recently. He has been much more responsible in his own zone and a warrior in general. Taking a puck to the face and coming back? Well played Kevin.

Garrison is finding his groove and is very strong on puck. He is effective in shutting down the opposition. When will the CDC let go of their addiction to stats and points? He needs some time to adjust to a totally different team and system. At least he is consistent.

Hamhuis has suffered since being paired with Edler. His passing and playmaking are taking a dive. He is better than this though.

Ballard and Tanev are the class of the defense right now.

Edler to me is the epitome of the Canucks of two years ago. Inconsistent and soft. We can find reasons for his sub par play, but in my opinion he is a 5 dressed up as a 9.

Henrik Sedin, a man falsely accused of being a soft player, has shown in recent games how durable and truly tough he is. We have our captain and we should be proud. He has risen far above the stupid insults of mentally defective fans of other teams. (Boston I am looking your direction heavily!)

Alex Edler is an average defender with a great shot. To put the future of the Canucks defense corps in his hands is foolish. This idea being bandied about that he will ever win or even compete for a Norris is ridiculous.

Archived