Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Why not try Higgins with the Sedins?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

burrows has the finish, booth just doesnt seem like he would be a good fit on first.
sedin sedin burrows
higgins kesler raymond
booth schroeder hansen
volpati lappy kassian

You can view all my CDC artwork here:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

#32 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,812 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Burrows is playing well with the Sedins right now, but during their dry spell I wanted changes and Kassian was the best fit. Higgins isn't as big and good in front of the net - he's great at deflecting shots from the point (I can recall several goals tipped off shots off the stick of Hamhuis by Higgins), but isn't as big as Kassian.

Kassian had great success with the twins and is, believe it or not, more skilled than Burrows. He has much faster hands than Burrows, is tougher to knock off the puck by a LONG shot (protects the puck better than anyone on this team including Henrik) and his size causes problems in front of the net, unlike Burrows who is handled by big defenders much more easily.

Higgins is the perfect in-between of Kassian and Burrows, but a much better shot than both of them. If Burrows starts to slump, I'd like to see Kassian or Higgins get a go with the twins.
Posted Image

#33 deebow420

deebow420

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

i will say what everyone is thinking.... bring back Anson Carter..haha kiddin. but a game on the Sedin line would help anybody's game..Higgin's would give them some more space out there like Kass did.. he just couldnt keep up to their game(in my opinion) but i think Burrows keeps up with his feet and his passing game just a little bit better... We just got Booth and Kesler back...give them time impatient canucks fans... Booth played like 12 minutes so far this year.. Kesler is getting back to Kesler quick..We will have three scoring lines rolling soon..

#34 deebow420

deebow420

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

burrows has the finish, booth just doesnt seem like he would be a good fit on first.
sedin sedin burrows
higgins kesler raymond
booth schroeder hansen
volpati lappy kassian

mr.zamboni i like those lines... except i would like to see Booth live up to his potential and skate on the 2nd line instead of Higgins.damn thats a tough 4th line to play against though!

#35 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

i Think we should keep Burrows there for the time being, The Sedins are starting to click again so why not just leave it as is for now?

No videos in sig please. 

#36 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

The notion that anyone can play well with the Sedins is half true. The twins do make their teammates better players, but Burrows compliments them better than any player ever has. He gets the cycle game and has enough energy and aggression that he is crucial in getting keeping the cycle going. He just knows where to be at any given time.

I like the idea of playing Kassian on that line, from time to time. He gives the top line a 'different look'. Right now, the line is scoring again, so I would only put Kass on the line in games where a change is needed or if the team has a good lead.

AV needs to keep Kassian interested by giving him opportunities that will not only be challenging, but will continue to develop his potential and committment to the game.

#37 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I still can't believe AV took Kassian off the Sedin line so soon. He does it all the time and it gets really annoying. He will randomly take a player off a line in the middle of a game and won't put them back for months.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#38 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

sedin sedin Burrows
Kassian Kesler Booth
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lappiere Volpatti

Weiss

#39 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yes lets move Daniel to his off wing that will help. Higgy isn't an ambi turner his blue steel only works on the left.

#40 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Higgins is not a power forward. Kassian is. I hate the fact that Vigneault took Kassian off the Sedin line. Burrows should play on the second line with Kesler (chemistry before) and Kassian should be up with the Sedins. Burrows is not a power forward, and he can't get rough with the opposing players like Kassian can, nor can he really stick up for them. The Sedins need a different element, not the same element to play with them, and that guy is Kassian. A power forward complementing two finesse players, that is a top first line.

Why do you hate the fact that Kassian was taken off the Sedin line? Were you actually watching hockey? Or were you watch Kassian score a lot?? The Sedins were struggling big time with Kassian on that line. We dont need Kassian to score, we need the Sedins to score. It was almost an immediate impact when Burrows was put back on the Sedin line. They had more jump , and I think they even assisted on Tanevs game winner if I am correct??? Since then its all been uphill. Putting Kassian back on the Sedin line would be a STEP back for this team...Kassian hasnt played long enough with the Sedins to understand how they play. Hes a great player but hes not quite ready yet. I think Burrows and the Sedins will retire a line together...If it aint broke dont fix it!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#41 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Might be worth a shot if Sedins struggle with Brrows at some point. I wouldn't mess with the line until they need to, though (if it aint broke...).

#42 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Might be worth a shot if Sedins struggle with Brrows at some point. I wouldn't mess with the line until they need to, though (if it aint broke...).

I don't think I even recall any significant stretch where Burrows has struggled. I keep waiting for it but he still seems to be thankful just for playing hockey and he shows up every game. So if your waiting for Burrows to struggle with the Sedins.....it ain't gonna happen. The point is can we export some of that "Burrishness" into the second line? We need a player on the first who can at least cycle and can be hard-nosed on the puck, at least enough to give room to the Sedins, Higgins might do that. I say its worth a try. Because if it works, the second line could be one ornery handful to contain.

2z4fxud.jpg

#43 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I don't think I even recall any significant stretch where Burrows has struggled. I keep waiting for it but he still seems to be thankful just for playing hockey and he shows up every game. So if your waiting for Burrows to struggle with the Sedins.....it ain't gonna happen. The point is can we export some of that "Burrishness" into the second line? We need a player on the first who can at least cycle and can be hard-nosed on the puck, at least enough to give room to the Sedins, Higgins might do that. I say its worth a try. Because if it works, the second line could be one ornery handful to contain.

Actually, I said it the other way around - when the Sedins struggle with Burrows, not when Burrows struggles with the Sedins! I agree, Burrows is amazingly consistent. Sedins at least once or twice a year have a period where they seem to slow down or get complacent or something. Putting someone else on their line would be to spark them, not as a demoting of Burrows.

Edited by Quoted, 21 February 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#44 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

sedin sedin Burrows
Kassian Kesler Booth
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lappiere Volpatti

Weiss

Not bad of a lineup, but it's, "Weise".

I'd go with your lineup.

Edited by allkill326, 21 February 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image

#45 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Pros:
-One of our strongest players against the boards
-Great forecheck/backcheck
-Underrated offensive skills

Cons:
- Not comfortable on right wing (his words)
- Lack of chemistry

I say it could be tried. Probably a reasonable chance it works.

Sedins have chemistry with everyone. They could get a broomstick as a linemate and still dominate in the o-zone.
Posted Image

#46 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Sedins have chemistry with everyone. They could get a broomstick as a linemate and still dominate in the o-zone.

I'm not as sure about that anymore. I think they play better only with specific players: Burrows seems to help them be better and isn't just a piece of meat in front of the net to bang pucks in once in a while.

#47 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Higgins can only play LW.

All these threads just make it so obvious how we need another top 6 player on this team. Too many second rate options.

Edited by Dogbyte, 21 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#48 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

This is a good idea, Higgins is all about TRY . He's also a lot more talented than most people give him credit for. I think he would be an upgrade on Burrows simply because he's a bit bigger and tougher to push off the puck. He's also a very smart player and takes very few dumb penalties, Burrows has a tendency to get rattled and do silly things costing his team. Higgins is very level headed.

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#49 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Actually, I said it the other way around - when the Sedins struggle with Burrows, not when Burrows struggles with the Sedins! I agree, Burrows is amazingly consistent. Sedins at least once or twice a year have a period where they seem to slow down or get complacent or something. Putting someone else on their line would be to spark them, not as a demoting of Burrows.

Fair enough. Good point.

This is a good idea, Higgins is all about TRY . He's also a lot more talented than most people give him credit for. I think he would be an upgrade on Burrows simply because he's a bit bigger and tougher to push off the puck. He's also a very smart player and takes very few dumb penalties, Burrows has a tendency to get rattled and do silly things costing his team. Higgins is very level headed.

I said I would support trying Higgins out on the top line, but only to redistribute his talent to another line. You are out to lunch if you think that Burrows is not a smart player, that he has a habit of taking dumb penalties, get rattled or "do silly things" whatever that means.

2z4fxud.jpg

#50 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I really don't understand this thread at all. Why would you change Sedin Sedin Burrows? If they start to dry up or get pushed around you go back to Kassian or perhaps Booth. Higgins is a versatile 2nd, 3rd or 4th liner with a good work ethic and decent defensive and offensive skill set. He is also a LW that can play centre, not an RW.

And for those that keep talking about how good Kesler and Burrows are together. On the Pk and in a 3rd line checking role they definitely had some good chemistry. I don't really recall there being a ton of offensive chemistry though, certainly nothing that approaches the play of the Sedins and Burrows.
Posted Image

#51 Alexander 7he Great

Alexander 7he Great

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Why do you hate the fact that Kassian was taken off the Sedin line? Were you actually watching hockey? Or were you watch Kassian score a lot?? The Sedins were struggling big time with Kassian on that line. We dont need Kassian to score, we need the Sedins to score. It was almost an immediate impact when Burrows was put back on the Sedin line. They had more jump , and I think they even assisted on Tanevs game winner if I am correct??? Since then its all been uphill. Putting Kassian back on the Sedin line would be a STEP back for this team...Kassian hasnt played long enough with the Sedins to understand how they play. Hes a great player but hes not quite ready yet. I think Burrows and the Sedins will retire a line together...If it aint broke dont fix it!

You're a joke hahaha, no I was watching a sport called Dwarf Throwing, tool. Of course I was watching, everyone is entitled to their own opinion buddy, I was just stating mine, as Kassian gets more experience I can bet you we will see more of him up with the Sedins. Burrows just has more experience and knows where to go when he plays with the Sedins, he's like another twin, none of them are power forwards which our first line desperately lacks, especially in the playoffs. Were you watching the Stanley Cup finals when Marchand used Henrik as a punching bag? Did Burrows come to his rescue? No.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.