The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Downtown Eastside Restaurant Target Of Protestors

DonLever

Compared to other eateries in the Gastown area (looking at you, Chill Winston, Salty Tongue, Blarney Stone, Chronic Tacos before they closed shop there), it's the same damn pricing. $10-15 for a dish, total coming out to around 50-60 if you're going in a group.

If protesters really wanted to protest the exorbitant prices of food (think soup and half-serving salad for $10!), they should have a group outside every establishment in that area. Otherwise, they can go and suck it.

Will there ever be an audit of all the funding towards the DTES?

I remember a few years back it was estimated that $300 million per year was injected towards the area from various levels of government, charities, etc.

Suddenly news story just kinda disappeared.

• 3 weeks later...

Protester set to begin hunger strike over Downtown Eastside gentrification

Downtown Eastside anti-gentrification protesters are planning a news conference at the site of the old Pantages Theatre tomorrow at noon, where they say a formerly homeless resident will begin a hunger strike.

The hunger striker will start at the Pantages site – location of the proposed Sequel 138 condo project – and then move a block and a half west to picket the embattled restaurant Pidgin restaurant at 6 p.m., according to a news release.

The release was sent out by DTES activist Wendy Pedersen, an organizer for the Carnegie Community Action Project (CCAP) and a 16-year resident of a housing co-operative on Alexander Street.

The goals of the hunger strike are unknown at this point.

Tensions have flared in recent weeks between business owners in the area and activists who have picketed the Pidgin restaurant and allegedly swiped the Save On Meats sandwich board.

Some of those established Italian places in the area are pretty "bada-bing", or at least some of their clientel is, that goes a long way when it comes to keeping the riff-raff away.

Anyways I can't figure out what their beef is either, its not even like The Drive was always an area that catered to the low income/druggie crowd. It was only a lot of those folks started getting pushed out of Kits and other formerly cheap and funky areas did they come to the Drive.

Some of those established Italian places in the area are pretty "bada-bing", or at least some of their clientel is, that goes a long way when it comes to keeping the riff-raff away.

Anyways I can't figure out what their beef is either, its not even like The Drive was always an area that catered to the low income/druggie crowd. It was only a lot of those folks started getting pushed out of Kits and other formerly cheap and funky areas did they come to the Drive.

Ridiculous, targeting a guy who's turned an empty for 20yrs building into something nice that turns over more tax dollars to help the poor out?

Yell at my friends and I after we've just had a nice dinner and about 4 or 5 drinks, I dare ya

Ridiculous, targeting a guy who's turned an empty for 20yrs building into something nice that turns over more tax dollars to help the poor out?

Yell at my friends and I after we've just had a nice dinner and about 4 or 5 drinks, I dare ya

These bums need to get a friggin job... or ship them out to Surrey or Abbotsford. They can take more crap anyways.

It is funny how they are vandalizing and protesting the very businesses that have actively done their part to make the DTES area a better place.

Archived