The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Islanders Place Dipietro on Waivers

Provost

It's not just that. How many forwards do you have on a team? 12. How many goalies? 2. One barely plays. If your star forward falls off and isn't a legitimate 1st line player later in the contract, they can usually be a serviceable 2nd line guy. If your #1 goalie falls off you have a backup that isn't playing that is eating up 5.3 million dollars of cap, and nobody will take him in a trade. That's the added risk to signing a goalie to a long term contract. Not to mention the hot and cold nature of the position. You can be the best goalie in the league one year and then the worst the next (Elliott).

As for the Schneider/DiPietro value thing, the 31 million that they'll have to use to buy him out is not worth losing Hamonic and Niederreiter. They'll be able to give up less elsewhere.

lol. you are probably one of those guys who would bitch at someone who gives you 10 bucks for free because another guy is giving others 11 dollars.

luongo stole 3 games for us in the final, but apparently it wasn't enough for you and he's the sole reason why we didn't have a cup 2 years ago.

to simplify your mentality, choked = lose in playoff.

bravo bro, bravo

And when has Luongo ever fallen off? I really don't get your point. The fact of the matter is that Gillis signed Luongo to such a long contract due to his consistency and durability and the fact that goalies can play into their 40's. Just look at Hasek, Brodeur and Belfour. Forwards are risky due to the fact that they are more exposed to injuries because of hits along with wear and tear. You rarely see forwards playing great into their 40's with the exception of Selanne. IF Luongo gets traded, he will still be playing in 6-7 years.

lol. you are probably one of those guys who would bitch at someone who gives you 10 bucks for free because another guy is giving others 11 dollars.

luongo stole 3 games for us in the final, but apparently it wasn't enough for you and he's the sole reason why we didn't have a cup 2 years ago.

to simplify your mentality, choked = lose in playoff.

bravo bro, bravo

That's where your'e mistaken. In my honest opinion, choking is playing great and then playing terribly and losing games by lopsided scores resulting in playoff elimination. We have all seen that in 3 (very nearly 4) series starting in 2009.

Luongo is branded an elite goaltender, sometimes he's plays like it, sometimes the very opposite. The same recycled excuses (we didn't score enough, our defense sucks, we were injured, etc.) for his poor performances cant be used every year, can they? In reality they cant. In reality he has choked in some very big games and that's all there is to it. He's not the only goaltender to lose his composure, but it seems he's done it the most in recent memory.

Sound and rational thoughts. I don't know which Luongo some of these folks have been watching in recent years...but he craps the bed in big situations so often he oughta be sponsored by Depends Adult Diapers (with the exception of the Olympics). I for one am sick of the flimsy excuses when Luongo has a bad game..(injuries, defense sucks, offensively challenged) I am a Luongo fan...but he is among the easiest goaltenders to rattle...to get under the skin of...that I have seen in quite a while....and on the occasions he loses his composure and lets in a soft goal...that's usually the start of a bad night for us.

Archived