46 replies to this topic

#1 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

First of all, I am a massive Luongo fan and would prefer that we move Schneider- I have always felt this way.

Luongo is far better than Schneider was at the age of 26.

What I really want to state is something we all heard about but seem to selectively forget.

Luongo nixed several trades that Gillis had set up.

At the draft Gillis and Burke had a trade in place for Luongo, it did reportedly involve a variation on Luke Schenn (R. handed D man), Kadri (centre) and a 2nd. ( Wait a minute- aren't these boards demanding Gillis goes out and get a big R handed D man, a centre and more picks for this draft???)

Gillis presented Luongo with the trade and he said no. Luongo wanted to know if Florida was till an option. Gillis could have lied to Luongo and said no, but he said that he is in discussions with Florida but that they had not come close to making a good offer.

In and around this time, Luongo also nixed a trade to Columbus. How sweet would it have been to get Nash? or a CNJ first or Johansen??? (just speculating)

Shortly after this Luongo's brother took to twitter making fun of Mike Gillis stating "at least Howard was offered a trade to a team on his list" of teams he was willing to go to.
How would you feel is you were Gillis? Trying to move an all star player is pressure enough, getting made fun of by the dude's brother who does not understand GMing is kind of awkward...

Both of these nixed trades werereported by the guys at the province and were discussed at length throughout the summer-not sure why we choose to forget these details

My main point

Why is Gillis holding this team hostage over a franchise player who has an NTC?
Luongo feels bad about what happened in him nixing the trade, but that was his right and he is an allstar and should have his contract respected. Luongo is partly culpable because he has overtly told the media he will "do what is best for the team," yet he has nixed 2 and possibly more trades- so he has lied to the media and fans in a way as well.

Gillis needs to move on and trade schneider now. Having a stud asset on the bench each night is obviously not helping us.

Schneider has not demonstrated that he is by far better than Luongo-infact schneider showed that he is also capable of losing in a shootout and getting ventilated for 7 goals in an important game- determing who is better is splitting hairs. Who is more valuable as a moveable asset?-schneider- Gillis needs to wake up and start creating a schneider bidding war.

Edited by canuckfan85, 02 March 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#2 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Whether those rumors are true or not, Luongo can choose where he wants to be traded to.
If Gillis doesn't like that, he shouldn't have locked him up in the first place.

Also, there's no real reason to rush this trade right now.
As soon as a team (that needs a difference maker) accepts the reality that they may not make the playoffs, they will inquire about one of our goaltenders and most likely overpay.

The goaltender trade will either happen closer to the deadline or in the off season.

Edited by Tystick, 02 March 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

#3 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Whether those rumors are true or not, Luongo can choose where he wants to be traded to.
If Gillis doesn't like that, he shouldn't have locked him up in the first place.

totally agree- move schneider

#4 bryguy26

bryguy26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes we could get more for Schneider. But lately I really don't trust Gillis's judgement when it comes to making trades. Lou we be in demand soon. Florida, Tampa and Columbus will be under immense pressure to upgrade their goaltending after this season.
Posted Image

#5 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

IF what you say is true about Lu and his "nixing" of deals that have put the team in this position and then going public with the "I'll do what's best for the team" PR stunt, what makes you think Gillis wants to keep him?

While Lu had every right to do what you say he did, it would certainly have been self-serving of him to do that considering his public comments and would in no way have endeared him to Mr GIllis.

IF (big IF) you are right, you are saying that LU is basically forcing GIllis to trade Cory, the asset he wants to keep.

Great for their long-term relationship.

#6 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Luongo's days in Vancouver are numbered. If it will take until the day he is traded for people to realize it, then so be it.
Posted Image

#7 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Let's get something straight...

Everything you said is speculation.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Or maybe patience is required.

Sweet rumours, btw.
Posted Image

#9 hongcouver

hongcouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

The big question is why did Gillis circumvent the cap and sign Luongo to a bogus 12-year deal with a NTC, while knowing full well that we had a young stud goalie already in our system. This GM foolishness sets us up for the goalie conflict which we have today.

Luongo should not have to waive his NTC and move to Toronto or Columbus if he doesn't want to.

Gillis should stop handing out NTC's like hot cakes. Gillis is the problem (not AV, not Luongo, not Schneider)!

Edited by hongcouver, 02 March 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#10 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

There is no need for any trade prior to training camp unless the team needs a big kick in the a$$

Having said that, Luongo should just list 10 teams that he refuses to go to to make the whole process easier for Gillis.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#11 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#12 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yes we could get more for Schneider. But lately I really don't trust Gillis's judgement when it comes to making trades. Lou we be in demand soon. Florida, Tampa and Columbus will be under immense pressure to upgrade their goaltending after this season.

the question is - will Luongo go somewhere besides FLA?
EDM- no
CBJ-no
TB- maybe but Yzerman cannot afford another massive contract
WSH- maybe but McPhee cannot afford another contract

#13 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

There is no need for any trade prior to training camp unless the team needs a big kick in the a$$

Having said that, Luongo should just list 10 teams that he refuses to go to to make the whole process easier for Gillis.

go tell him that- go tell the allstar with the NTC who would have been the Conn Smythe winner had he won one more game in the 2011 SCF

#14 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

The big question is why did Gillis circumvent the cap and sign Luongo to a bogus 12-year deal with a NTC, while knowing full well that we had a young stud goalie already in our system. This GM foolishness sets us up for the goalie conflict which we have today.

Luongo should not have to waive his NTC and move to Toronto or Columbus if he doesn't want to.

Gillis should stop handing out NTC's like hot cakes. Gillis is the problem (not AV, not Luongo, not Schneider)!

because Luongo as nice as he is, is all about the money. He has an inferiority complex- he wants to be the best so he wants to be paid like the best.

Keenan has said this several times about Luongo- he offered Luongo a more than fair contract, but Luongo "was always one contract ahead of himself)

#15 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

go back and listen to this summer's Team 1040 podcasts- Gallagher and Taylor spoke all about this...

#16 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

go tell him that- go tell the allstar with the NTC who would have been the Conn Smythe winner had he won one more game in the 2011 SCF

Luongo said he was willing to wave his NTC but holding out in the hopes that he'll be dealt to the sunshine state all but invalidates his comment.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#17 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Since when were the Canucks offered Schenn Kadri and a second? Thats news to me..... I thought it was Schenn for Lou straight up, with Gillis also wanting the 5th overall and Burke saying no.

I don't know where your getting this about Lou nixing a trade, but if he did damn... that would have been a solid return.

#18 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Isint this suppose to be in luongo trade talks 6.0 or are your thoughts more important than other?

#19 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for setting us all straight.

I am sure this will quell all discussion on the topic.

Good job!

#20 SeaBass

SeaBass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I thought i was a good post.

#21 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Luongo didn't "nix" any deals. He has stated several times that he has yet to be approached by MG about any particular trade. And so he waits.

Nice try though.

Posted Image

#22 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I thought i was a good post.

Thanks Sea Bass.

#23 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Luongo didn't "nix" any deals. He has stated several times that he has yet to be approached by MG about any particular trade. And so he waits.

Nice try though.

that's the parting line- how do you explain Luongo's brother's tweet?
also Gallagher and Taylor spoke all about this. Luongo says whatever he wants to the media- as I pointed out in the opening post

#24 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Unfortunately had he doesn't have any value in arguing.

And had he not got lit up, vancouver would have won the cup
Had Danny Sedin got 5 goals more each series he would have won conn smythe
Had sharp scored in game seven in the first round maybe CHI would have won another cup

#25 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

As much as I like Luongo, this is really all just speculation. Face it, Gillis really IS a better GM than you. Go back to bed.

#26 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

#27 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

As much as I like Luongo, this is really all just speculation. Face it, Gillis really IS a better GM than you. Go back to bed.

I sure hope he is a better GM than me, as he is being paid a lot of money to do so, and I am not a GM...not sure what you are getting at.

Have you been drinking???

Edited by canuckfan85, 02 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#28 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

webkit-fake-url://CCE5B3FA-C1F1-4CCC-8D7F-1B0ADAE8E431/chubby_asian_kids.jpg

#29 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Nice try, king

#30 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thank you for setting us all straight.

I am sure this will quell all discussion on the topic.

Good job!

Hahaha! I laughed.

But OP, the rumour (again, not fact) I heard was it was Schenn for Luongo straight up. What we do know is Luongo has said both that he hasn't been asked to provide a list of teams, and he hasn't been asked to waive his NTC. If there was a deal that Luongo was asked to approve, both of the previous things would have already happened.

So yeah, no.

Sigh. It just get's worse and worse.

Isint this suppose to be in luongo trade talks 6.0 or are your thoughts more important than other?

He is not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Edited by elvis15, 02 March 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.