The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson with the goal of the year?

i'm never going to live this trade down. someone get this clown out of management before he costs us anymore prospects.

cody > tavares at WJ's

now, that's saying something. I hope cody puts up a 100+ pts next year so gillis can look like even a bigger moron. frack sakes. SO mad right now.

He wanted more ice time not out, don't believe everything Gillis says, he already made himself look like an idiot b!tching about Cody after the trade while Cody took the high road.

He has two less points then our highest scorer and most of them have come at even strength.

Why do people keep saying he gets more ice time then he would under AV... no sh!t that's why he wasn't happy in the first place.

I would also like to add that the Sedins are probably almost as bad defensively as Cody is and they have pretty much the same amount of points and way more experience and the Twins get more pp time...

Go ahead and say Hodgson has Vanek and Pominville, but Hank has Daniel and Burrows.....

And your last line doesn't really make any sense. Cody has great hands? and has improved defensively and in face offs since he actually has trust from his coach and doesn't get stapled to the 4th line.

Remember when AV put him on the 4th line after he won rookie of the month? No wonder his dad was pissed.

Well yeah he's also had like 10 more years to develop. He could become as good as him, he's doing arguably better then Hank did at the same age.

Who seriously thought the Sedins would turn into the elite players we see now back then?

Henrik had an advantage though in having a twin brother to play with always.

I think it's fair to compare them when he's producing at the same rate in only his 3rd year in the NHL. They have similarities too, slow, great vision and passing, weak defensively, not gritty.

I'm not trying to say he's better then Henrik which obviously he's not, but he could turn out to be the same caliber of player when he hits his prime.

Well yeah he's also had like 10 more years to develop. He could become as good as him, he's doing arguably better then Hank did at the same age.

Who seriously thought the Sedins would turn into the elite players we see now back then?

Henrik had an advantage though in having a twin brother to play with always.

I think it's fair to compare them when he's producing at the same rate in only his 3rd year in the NHL. They have similarities too, slow, great vision and passing, weak defensively, not gritty.

I'm not trying to say he's better then Henrik which obviously he's not, but he could turn out to be the same caliber of player when he hits his prime.

Cody Hodgson @ age 23 > Henrik Sedin @ age 23

The Sedins were only 0.5PPG players with lots of ice time under Marc Crawford. Didn't break out offensively until Anson Carter came along.

Throw in the fact that Hodgson had a major back injury, and doesn't have a twin to practice/train/play with since the very beginning. The Canucks traded away a sure thing for a maybe.

Cody Hodgson @ age 23 > Henrik Sedin @ age 23

The Sedins were only 0.5PPG players with lots of ice time under Marc Crawford. Didn't break out offensively until Anson Carter came along.

Throw in the fact that Hodgson had a major back injury, and doesn't have a twin to practice/train/play with since the very beginning. The Canucks traded away a sure thing for a maybe.

27 pts in 31gp.

Real deal folks...

As a NHL enthusiast, I love following other teams, such as Colorado.

I remember when they traded Stewart and Shatty for EJ. I stopped following the Avs as much since. Dumb, dumb move...

This is one of the moves that still haunts me till date. I will be a Canuck fan forever, but this trade hurts.

And Hodgson is a great leader. Captain of the Brampton Battalion and the U18 team.

Looking at Buffalo, once Pominville is gone, Hodgson will be their captain.

hodgson_cody_cp_260.jpg

27 pts in 31gp.

Real deal folks...

As a NHL enthusiast, I love following other teams, such as Colorado.

I remember when they traded Stewart and Shatty for EJ. I stopped following the Avs as much since. Dumb, dumb move...

This is one of the moves that still haunts me till date. I will be a Canuck fan forever, but this trade hurts.

And Hodgson is a great leader. Captain of the Brampton Battalion and the U18 team.

Looking at Buffalo, once Pominville is gone, Hodgson will be their captain.

hodgson_cody_cp_260.jpg

I'm a Henrik fan as much as I'm a Hodgson fan, so am generally reluctant to get into comparisons given how easily commentary can be twisted as if intended to bash any particular player, but for the sake of contrast...

Let's skip over the incredible advantage Henrik has had by playing with a twin since toddler-hood, the fact Hodgson lost much of his 1st NHL year due to injury and also unlike Henrik had to adjust to a new team/setup/etc. mid season post trade, and just compare games actually played and stats generated by each -

As of "today", Hodgson is 23 years old and has played only 122 NHL games, stretched over 3 seasons due injuries and between 2 teams due the trade. Henrik at 23 years old had played 242 NHL games stretched over 3 seasons and for only 1 team.

Hodgon's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =

122 NHL games

32 goals, 37 assists, 69 points, 26 PIM, +1

(0.57 pts/game)

faceoffs each year (42/38.1% - 710/46.8% - 574/46.5%)

Henrik's total @ 23 years & 3 NHL seasons =

242 NHL games

33 goals, 71 assists, 110 points, 112 PIM, +16

(0.45 pts/game)

faceoffs each year (1020/44.1% - 785/47.4% - 995/48.2 %)

Those stats are hard to compare really. Ice time was different (for one example only - Hodgson in his 3rd year is getting more ES time than Henrik did in his 3rd year, but then Henrik averaged 2:30, 1:56, and 3:22 on the power play in each of his first seasons while Hodgson hasn't gotten anywhere near those opportunities), Henrik on the 3rd/2nd line back then wasn't facing top lines and d pairings that Hodgson has been this year for the Sabres, etc. But still, you referred to Henrik being "better than Cody" in every guard, and specifically - "Defensively, Faceoffs, Offensively, Character, Strength, Toughness", so let's take each one...

"Defensively" - Henrik @ 23 was not any better than Hodgson at the same age, period.

- Henrik was a solid +16 after his first 3 seasons, but then Hodgson was only a negative while acclimatizing post trade - eliminate that stretch just after his trade, and Hodgson is sitting at +10.

- Think about being a good defensive player in terms of how often you put your team into a short-handed position, and consider - Henrik racked up 112 PIM for his team his first 3 seasons, Hodgson only 26 PIM.

- Think about the greatest defense being a good offense - Henrik had 1 short-handed point over his first 3 years, Hodgson already has 2 short-handed points and his 3rd full year isn't done yet.

- By the end of Henrik's 4rd NHL season, the most he was ever trusted short-handed an average 0.53 mins/game. Comparably, Hodgson in now averaging 1:43 minutes of PK duty in only his 3rd season.

"Faceoffs" - Henrik @ 23 years wasn't any better than Hodgson at the same age (possibly even worse when one considers Henrik didn't have to face the top centers of other teams).

Henrik -

total taken = 2800, won = 1302, lost = 1498, percentage = 46.50%

Hodgson -

total taken = 1326, won = 612, lost = 714, percentage = 46.15%

(side note, even this year Henrik's 48.2% really ain't much better than Hodgson's 46.5%, when we consider Henrik has a good 10 years of experience over the kid)

"Offensively" - Hodgson has Henrik beat hands down. Period.

Henrik @ 23 years old and playing with a twin against other team's secondary lines/defensive, had 0.45 pts/game. Comparably, Hodgson playing all over AV's line shuffles and then (for Buffalo) against top lines/defensive, is at 0.57 pts/game so far.

For other numbers...

@ ES (even strength) - In his 3rd year, Henrik totaled only 19 ES over 82 games - Hodgson already has a team-leading 23 pts in only 31 games.

@ SH (short-handed) - Henrik had 1 pt over his first three seasons, while Hodgson already has 2 ps in the 31 games he's been given PK duty.

@ PP (power-play) - Henrik had 37 pts over 626 PP minutes, good for 0.059 pts/min. Comparably, Hodgson has had 16 pts over 250 PP minutes, good for 0.062 pts/min.

"Character" - Really??

How can we really judge the "character" of these two guys at 23? I don't recall - did Henrik come to the Canucks as a proven leader of his junior teams? Hodgson did. Did Henrik have his character criticized and bashed by his coach and former GM in the media, and respond professionally by keeping his mouth shut and head into simply becoming a better player on the ice? Hodgson did. Henrik's teammates have always talked highly of him, so have Hodgsons (other than the slights made post trade) - even this last week when Vanek was demoted off Hodgson's line and Ott promoted, both those guys were quoted as signing the kid's praises. Hodgson hasn't been called a "sister" by the so-called fan, something Henrik and his bro had to endure.

Really I don't see how it's remotely possible to compare these guys' character at 23. They simply had very different starts to their careers and both seem to have handled what adversity they faced very well.

"Strength" - Huh?

Pretty sure I recall Henrik and Daniel being subjected to the "sister" name-calling by fans their first few years in the NHL, while Hodgson has simply been bashed as "soft" by disgruntled fans after the trade. Don't see either Henrik or Hodgson being a fighter type, lol, but then smashing and fighting just aren't their games.

"Toughness" - Huh?

Strength and toughness obviously aren't the same thing precisely, but like the former it is difficult to objectively compare whether Henrik or Hodgson are more "tough" than the other. Still, I think about how many times we listened to so-called fans call Henrik a "sister" and it's kinda hard to imagine Hodgson being any less "tough" that that, lol.

All in, while the numbers show Hodgson has actually already exceeded what Henrik accomplished during his first 3 seasons, there are simply too many factors at play to make the call either way. There is 10-something years between them. The game is different, they had different learning curves and situations and opportunities. They are different players on different teams in different eras with different backgrounds.

Archived