The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson with the goal of the year?

Maybe you should consider the fact that fans of other teams who despise ours are very much enjoying this as well. This is looking like a very bad trade right now.

Gillis traded a guy who could help us now for a guy who might help us a few seasons down the road, when our core will be a couple years older. To enjoy something like this seems machoistic to me.

You know highlights don't make players. It's relaly about how well you play overall and under stress and pressure. Hodgson may have had one fortuitous goal, but that doesn't guarantee he's good like that all the time.

I really thought that was in slow motion. What were the defenders thinking? Good skills though, credit where credit is due.

I still preferred his Boston "shot"..........the ringing off the metal followed by Thomas having a double take and the look on the coach's face............epic.

I really thought that was in slow motion. What were the defenders thinking? Good skills though, credit where credit is due.

I still preferred his Boston "shot"..........the ringing off the metal followed by Thomas having a double take and the look on the coach's face............epic.

Maybe you should consider the fact that fans of other teams who despise ours are very much enjoying this as well. This is looking like a very bad trade right now.

Gillis traded a guy who could help us now for a guy who might help us a few seasons down the road, when our core will be a couple years older. To enjoy something like this seems machoistic to me.

I think Cody is doing awesome but I am concerned about his ability to help our team. He is scoring points on Buffalo's top line and top unit power play.

He was never going to play with the Sedins so he would never have been given the same kind of talent to play with. I dont think Cody was fast enough to keep up with Kesler or Raymond so who knows what line he would have ended up with.

Cody could not fit in here . I am so happy hes doing well in Buffalo. He scored a couple tonight against the capitals too !!!

Could care less what highlight reel fans of other teams think about the trade - and I don't agree with your assessment of the deal at all - nor do I ignore that actual context of the deal.

Kassian is getting 45.4% offensive zone starts (impressive that a coach like AV trusts a rookie that way actually), he has a +8.75 relative corsi (relative to a good team), is being shuffled around to different lines and roles due to injuries at center - essentially playing with a shutdown center, Lapierre, most of his minutes - and is performing well regardless of the situations of his opportunities. We saw what he's capable of when he gets top line opportunities. We also see that he's a quality two way player that plays well when his role is reversed. The opinions of people who overlook what he brings don't concern me - if they want to pretend this was a very bad trade, they don't really know much about the players involved.

Kassian isn't a project that will help in the future - he's a very solid rookie with a great balance of qualities he brings that are valuable right now.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with this deal. Still entertained by all the far-sighted whining.

I think Cody is doing awesome but I am concerned about his ability to help our team. He is scoring points on Buffalo's top line and top unit power play.

He was never going to play with the Sedins so he would never have been given the same kind of talent to play with. I dont think Cody was fast enough to keep up with Kesler or Raymond so who knows what line he would have ended up with.

Cody could not fit in here . I am so happy hes doing well in Buffalo. He scored a couple tonight against the capitals too !!!

Could care less what highlight reel fans of other teams think about the trade - and I don't agree with your assessment of the deal at all - nor do I ignore that actual context of the deal.

Kassian is getting 45.4% offensive zone starts (impressive that a coach like AV trusts a rookie that way actually), he has a +8.75 relative corsi (relative to a good team), is being shuffled around to different lines and roles due to injuries at center - essentially playing with a shutdown center, Lapierre, most of his minutes - and is performing well regardless of the situations of his opportunities. We saw what he's capable of when he gets top line opportunities. We also see that he's a quality two way player that plays well when his role is reversed. The opinions of people who overlook what he brings don't concern me - if they want to pretend this was a very bad trade, they don't really know much about the players involved.

Kassian isn't a project that will help in the future - he's a very solid rookie with a great balance of qualities he brings that are valuable right now.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with this deal. Still entertained by all the far-sighted whining.

Just a small aside - Hodgson has only been on the "top power play unit" for two games, with tonight's power-play goal being one of few bright lights in the Sabres' rather dismal power-play (they're 30th in the league in PP%, so even worse than the Canucks at 26th).

Hodgson has been, however, one of the regular go-to guys on the Sabres penalty kill, even happens to lead his team in short-handed points - only two, but good for being better than all Canucks (seeing how Canucks haven't tallied even 1 short-handed goal so far).

So even if Hodgson couldn't keep up with Kesler or Hanson, it'd be kinda nice to have him on the Canucks' penalty-kill this season. Seems he's not such a deadbeat "defensive liability" as we were made to believe ;-)

More evidence to debunk the shrug off by certain posters that Hodgson is merely riding on Vanek's coattails -

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/03/vanek-and-ott-switched-as-lines-seek-chemistry.html

Vanek and Ott switched as lines seek chemistry

March 19, 2013 - 1:54 PM

By Mike Harrington

MONTREAL -- Thomas Vanek has two goals in the last 11 games, while Jason Pominville has two in his last 12 (and none in the last seven), so interim coach Ron Rolston is breaking up his top line for tonight's game in the Bell Centre.

Vanek will skate with Tyler Ennis and Ville Leino, while Steve Ott moves to the No. 1 unit with Pominville and Cody Hodgson. The line of Marcus Foligno-Kevin Porter-Brian Flynn stays intact while the fourth line will be Drew Stafford-Patrick Kaleta-Jochen Hecht.

"We're not winning as much as we want so obviously we're going to change things up but it doesn't matter," Vanek said. "Whoever you play with you try to make the best out of it. I've always said it doesn't matter who you play with, how much. You're a professional and you move on and deal with it.

"It's not working the way we have been. Overall as a line we haven't been going as good as we want to. We're still creating stuff, my chances aren't going in."

Rolston said Sunday he felt the line was getting stale and reiterated that point today. He also like Ott's game in Washington, where the most irascible Sabre was under the Caps' skin all night drawing penalties. "He certainly offers a lot to a line," Rolston said.

"He plays heavy, gets in there, makes space and plays with a certain attitude. He's been that way since I've been here so it gives him a good opportunity."

"I'm excited," Ott said. "Cody has been phenomenal all year. He's a young talent that's worked hard. He's progressed and you can really see it in his game."

Vanek has really enjoyed playing with Hodgson, a right-handed shot who can feed him on either side of the ice. Ennis is a left-handed shot.

"With Cody I've had good chemistry. It's going to be different for me for a little bit," Vanek said. "I just have to adjust to those two [Ennis and Leino] and see where I can find my chances."

"Thomas is an amazing player," Ennis said. "Just get him the puck. When he's got the puck on his stick, there's a good chance it's going in. Sometimes it's good to switch it up. Change things up a bit might spark something."

"It's something where we're probably trying to spread scoring throughout the lines," Ott said. "Van has been an extremely strong asset for his team. He instantly makes any line he goes on a lot better. For myself, I try to play my similar game and hopefully find some chemistry throughout the lineup."

The bolded/underlined comment is interesting. Particularly as, when attempting to rationalize the Hodgson trade after the fact, MG suggested that Hodgson was given so many offensive-zone starts because he WAS NOT "trusted". Presuming MG wouldn't lie to distract attention from the trade by discrediting Hodgson's potential, we can only assume that Kassian is getting such a high percentage of o-zone starts because the coach does NOT trust him ;)

Archived