The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler Pt. 2

L'Orange

I would like to try something different with this thread. In previous topics I have been quite hard on poor Edler regarding his play in his own end.

Instead of being confrontational, I would like to pose some questions to those who support Edler.

1. What do you think is his issue regarding his woefully inconsistent play?

2. If his issue is his back, why in the name of all that's holy is he still playing?

3. Why the concentration on his point totals when he is weak in his own end? How does that justify his salary and place on the team, if he lacks the rudimentary skill as a defenceman which not only affect his +/- but the score of the game? (He has been on ice for a lot of GA this year)

4. Due to the fact that he is sub par in the defensive zone, should Edler consider changing position and becoming a forward? Possibly part-time like Byfuglien?

5. How much longer are you willing to give him to get his "A" game before moving him? Remember his NTC kicks in on July 1st.

He's being forced to play his weak side way too much. Also, I noticed that he seems a little too complacent in his own end nowadays, though why that's happening is beyond me, if it's true at all.

Maybe it's the relief from a long-term contract? Maybe he feels more composed and mature from becoming a veteran but is translating that awareness incorrectly? Maybe he has a chronic illness and sees no point in playing hard.

This was after all, tagged as speculation.

He's being forced to play his weak side way too much. Also, I noticed that he seems a little too complacent in his own end nowadays, though why that's happening is beyond me, if it's true at all.

Maybe it's the relief from a long-term contract? Maybe he feels more composed and mature from becoming a veteran but is translating that awareness incorrectly? Maybe he has a chronic illness and sees no point in playing hard.

This was after all, tagged as speculation.

It's been painful to watch. If he loses his stick it's like a fish out of water.

He's just mentally unstable it seems. If he makes a mistake he seems to compound it. I wouldn't blame a back injury on some of his bonehead moves this year. Also he's shown he can hit but chooses not to.

Maybe he just needs to simplify his play and not panic as much, we've seen a lot of great play out of him since he joined the team but seems to be on a downward trend and it's alarming. He gives this team quite a few positives but in the end playing defense is his weakest part of his game right now, and that's not a good thing for a defenseman.

Im worried we really overpaid him in the offseason. Sure, he puts up points, and it's perfectly acceptable for a $3.25 mil d man (his salary this year) to put up points and be shaky (worse than shaky) in his own end. It is however, not acceptable to pay a d man $5 mil and put up points and be a negative player.

Hope we havn't found ourselves a Mike Green type. He will need to step up his defensive game BIG TIME to earn that $5 mil or we will be stuck with another dud of a contract.

Archived