The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Jordan Shroeder's Time in Vancouver Done?

Pasific Coluseum

my views on schroeder have nothing to do with either of those factors, and everything to do with the fact that he has yet to demonstrate any sign whatsoever of becoming an impact player at a professional level 4 years after plummeting down the rankings of a weak draft class (he was ranked 5th among north american skaters), not to mention regressing significantly in his second year of university (dropped from 35gp 13g 32a 45p as a freshman to 37gp 9g 19a 28p as a sophomore).

Schroeder's problem is a mental, trust, and positional play issue. He's far too worried about screwing up defensively to take appropriate risks or commit himself to scoring positions. He doesn't seem to trust the guys hes playing with to be responsible defensively. Playing with Wiese and Sestito on the 4th line probably hasn't helped that.

Even when he was playing with Raymond and Hansen, he would always err on the side of defense - ie playing high slot instead of getting down low and not always supporting on a two-man forecheck. Unless he was the low-cycle man, he always plays higher in the zone than he should and is way too quick to leave. He's missed a ton of low-slot rebounds because of it. I've also seen him back off into the Canuck's Dman coverage areas on 1 and 2 on 2's where he was the extra guy (he didn't need to be there).

In the last few games before he got dropped down, I think he started trying to break out of that mentality. Unfortunately being stuck with a couple of fourth line grinders makes succeeding in that role next to impossible.

If I had to guess, he took playing the defensive part of a two-way centre a bit too much to heart. He needs to figure out a better balance, and from what I've seen so far, he has the skills for it. At least when he has offensively capable line mates. He isn't good enough to carry pugs, but he does have pretty good vision, passing, and play making.

Again I go back to Cody Hodgson who everyone wants back so badly, he didn't do much in his first time in the NHL, and he didn't put up impressive stats in the AHL that year either, but you could see the next year that the experience paid off as he came in and was a capable secondary offensive player.

And it's always important to keep things in context.

When Hodgson played in Vancouver last year, the Canucks had both Kesler and Malhotra in the lineup, carrying all the difficullt matchups, winning alot of faceoffs, and allowing AV to give the Sedin's line their ozone starts, but also Hodgson, who did have relatively sheltered minutes, and played with the two absolute two-way dynamos, Higgins and Hansen.

People are complaining about what they've seen from Schroeder this season, but the context of his opportunities is very different.

A Canucks lineup with a healthy Kesler and a shutdown fourth line enables AV to put Schroeder in situations where he would be very successful - as the lineup stands, AV had to use him out of place - and imo Schroeder did just fine playing the roles he was given. It just doesn't necessarily make sense to continue to use him that way. He's not really ready for a second line role - and with a makeshift second line and a fourth line lacking the shutdown center, the conditions just aren't right imo....yet. But he'll be back - I was actually really impressed by him and look forward to his future.

He had a golden chance to land a spot with the Canucks with Kesler pretty much out for the season but he just isn't producing offensively and he's not a guy I want centering the 3rd line or playing in the bottom 6. He still has time to develop as he's only 22 so his time isn't done in Vancouver, I wish he could make the move to wing as being a center his size in the NHL is going to be tough.

Hahahahaha, it feels so good to be soooooo right. I've always said on here that Jordan Schroeder was a terrible choice at the draft and that he has proven to be a bust. But most of you tools just kept denying it over and over again. You said his poor production in the AHL meant nothing, and that he just needed better linemates to showcase his massive play-making skills. A lot of you were penciling him in as a fine replacement for Kesler on the second line until Kesler got back from injury, and yadda yadda yadda.

Now look at you. Almost every one of you has come to the realization that the kid is no good. Too small, not enough offensive upside to make up for this, and not enough passion to make up for either. AHAHAHAHA

Taking stock: most of you said the Canucks were fine in nearly every aspect up until just a couple weeks ago, and you were wrong; most of you said Jordan Schroeder would make a significant impact on the team, and you were wrong; most of you said the same thing about Kassian and that he was much more useful to the team than Hodgson, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was a genius, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was right to let Salo walk, and you were wrong; you said the Canucks as usual would be a lock for a playoff spot this season, and you were wrong; you said up until just a couple weeks ago that AV was a great coach, and you were wrong... I COULD GO ON FOREVERRRRRRRRR!!!

It is pertinent imo to use him as trade bait for a skilled depth D or C for playoff run I advocate Gillis to pull the trigger! How many times has Shroeder been sent up and down up and down? Come playoffs I do not think Jordan will be a factor especially because of the increased physicality. He is small and doesn't look like an everyday NHLer. Playing on the 4th line isn't helping his cause to becoming a point producer. He's been given PP time and lots of games to showcase his talents. Drafted in 2010 he still has struggled mightily to maintain a NHL roster spot.

I think Jordan Shroeder's tenure as a Canuck is all but done. If he goes to a team like the Isles he may find an offensive spark.

Shroeder & Ballard for Visnovsky, Reasoner & 3rd 2013 might be worth looking considering

Smaller players usually gets owned and disappears come playoff time. Unless the player is as good as Patrick Kane or Martin St. Louis of course. Heck even Kane didn't do that well in the playoffs after that single Cup run, having only 1 goal in 13 games. Those 10 goals that he scored back in 09-10 playoffs, what like 6 of them were against us? Small guys naturally have a disadvantage come playoff times, when the game picks up in intensity.

Like I said Schroeder would be great on a weak team as a top 6 player. He would get his top 6 minutes and be a 0.6 ppg type of guy.

He doesn't fit our playoff plans. He would just disappear come playoff time.

Marc Savard? (Who JS plays like)

Danny Briere?

Tyler Ennis?

Andy MacDonald?

Brad Marchand?

Brian Gionta?

P-M Bouchard?

Scott Gomez?

Tyler Kennedy?

Ryan Callahan?

Sorry I'm not buying your smaller guy disappearing theory. Which is exactly what it is, your thoery.

Jordan Schroeder is a player who since grade 8 has played against players bigger and older than him and has succeed, he played in the WJ a complete year before his draft year back in 08. And put up good numbers, and is the US all time leading scorer, and I'm pretty sure those tournments are pretty intense. He also has a respectable 14 points in 22 games in AHL playoff action.

I'm just not buying it sorry.

Who on that list of players has won the Cup recently?

Answer: Brad Marchand and Tyler Kennedy. That's it. Marc Savard didn't even play due to injury.

Brad Marchand is a rat and is one in a thousand. Unless Shroeder becomes as vicious as he is, it won't work out.

Tyler Kennedy did well enough back then. This year he sucks.

And then let's look at statistic probability. Obviously big and tough superstars wins the Cup more often than small guys.

Like I said even Patrick Kane sucked in the playoffs after that single Cup run. And his so-called "great" stats in that Cup run was boosted by his points against the Canucks during that meltdown. So like you I don't buy it. I don't buy into the idea of small players because they have never "truly" proven themselves during the playoffs in recent years.

For the record, yes small guy can work. For example I love Pavel Bure. He was great in the playoffs because he is THAT good. But once again you have to be THAT good. What are the chances for Shroeder coming anywhere close to Bure was?

I am not saying we should all be 6'5 230 lbs. But our players need to be decent size to succeed in the playoffs.

Hahahahaha, it feels so good to be soooooo right. I've always said on here that Jordan Schroeder was a terrible choice at the draft and that he has proven to be a bust. But most of you tools just kept denying it over and over again. You said his poor production in the AHL meant nothing, and that he just needed better linemates to showcase his massive play-making skills. A lot of you were penciling him in as a fine replacement for Kesler on the second line until Kesler got back from injury, and yadda yadda yadda.

Now look at you. Almost every one of you has come to the realization that the kid is no good. Too small, not enough offensive upside to make up for this, and not enough passion to make up for either. AHAHAHAHA

Taking stock: most of you said the Canucks were fine in nearly every aspect up until just a couple weeks ago, and you were wrong; most of you said Jordan Schroeder would make a significant impact on the team, and you were wrong; most of you said the same thing about Kassian and that he was much more useful to the team than Hodgson, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was a genius, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was right to let Salo walk, and you were wrong; you said the Canucks as usual would be a lock for a playoff spot this season, and you were wrong; you said up until just a couple weeks ago that AV was a great coach, and you were wrong... I COULD GO ON FOREVERRRRRRRRR!!!

Archived