The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Kesler...

Outsiders

I seriously don't get those who want to trade Kesler. He is a heart and soul player who shows up and plays hard. It is his heart and soul that gets him injured. His need to make a big hit to spark the team or throwing himself in front of a puck is exactly what this team needs and I think the rest of the team should take his example of selfless sacrifice more seriously.

I also keep reading about his selfishness with the puck and how he's always a shoot first, pass later, player. A quick look at his career stats tells me different. His goal to assist ratio has always been fairly balanced. In fact, since he first appeared with the canucks in 03-04, only twice has his goal output exceeded his assist production.

I do not believe he deserves to be accausted the way he is every game, nor do I believe any questioning of his heart valid. In fact, I believe that when the torch is passed, it is Ryan who will recieve it. Furthermore, I would like to see more of an emphasis put on finding more like him and not so much focus put on the looking for the single superstar that carries rediculous salary and equally rediculous ego that these players inevitably grow.

If one looks at the recent Stanley Cup winners; All had balance throughout the line up. No one player stood out. All contributed and all won there respective cities the cup.

While it is good to have those 100 pnt players, it is no guarantee to get that which all Vancouver fans want more than anything else. In the playoffs it is the Keslers of the hockey world that win the day. Grit, determination and sacrifice are victorious and not the pretty goals and spectacular moves. Sometimes, yes, the odd nice goal does present itself, but more often than not, it is the ugly hack and slash goals that win Lord Stanley.

In the end, those that criticize and constantly rip Kesler should, instead be looking at the rest of the team and asking why they are nt putting out the same effort.

Define constantly. If you re referring to his feeble attempts in last years playoffs, I feel it only serves as further evidence of his inability to take a dive. In the two or three instances I can think of, it was so obvious that one cannot believe it is a regular part of his style. His inability to sell it, to me, shows that he doesn t dive or fake injury. I further think that he was unable to play his regular style due to injury and thus had to resort to doing what he could to try and help. He instead tried to draw penalties.

I would hear offers on him that's for sure. Every player has a price, to deny that is to deny reality. It all depends on what the return is. I personally wouldn't mind trading him. He has suffered injuries every single year, he whines, he dives (embellishes), he apparently doesn't get along well with the coach, and he doesn't make the players around him any better, in fact, I think he brings players around him down a little because he such a selfish player. Basically, if Gillis were to make any blockbuster trades I would use Kesler as a main piece for the right price in a heart beat... would not upset me at all.

I would play him on the 3rd line until he shows that he is ready to assume 2nd line duties. I also would not have Kesler screening on the PP, he takes a beating while doing this and needs time to stay healthy just in case we make the playoffs.

If he can get back in form, you wouldn't entertain the idea of trading him and with the injuries taking a toll, you wouldn't get anywhere near market value at this point. Kes just needs time to get back to 100% and firing on all cylinders. He is a keeper.

I would play him on the 3rd line until he shows that he is ready to assume 2nd line duties. I also would not have Kesler screening on the PP, he takes a beating while doing this and needs time to stay healthy just in case we make the playoffs.

Archived