The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What a beautiful HST free day

Harbinger

I would ask you for evidence of that but I know it's just anecdotal. Not really your typical m.o. but I know when it comes to deflecting, deflectors gotta deflect.

If the Liberals had such glorious truth on their side, then surely they shoulder some of the blame for doing such a piss poor job promoting it?

And the reason?

In line with Campbell's philosophy on such things as reform of the electoral system, the system in place for the HST referendum he did not consider to be equitable and thus the change made it easier for opponents to the HST. The rules in place would have made it virtually impossible to reject the HST as we saw with the two electoral reform referenda which Campbell pushed for strongly.

You act as if Campbell did not realize what he was doing... he certainly did.

IMHO he should not have done so but he did for what he considered fairness and equity - he mistakenly thought that rationality and information would hold sway. When faced with a con man like The Zalm willing to say anything, that proved to be a miscalculation. Gordon Campbell the policy wonk vs the populism and demagoguery of the Zalm and misinformation and misrepresentation won out to the detriment of the province.

Wrong. He did it in a last-ditch effort to save his political career. He sold out all of BC for his own personal interests. And for what?

BC had to return the 1.6 billion to the feds and his political career was finished.

Nice attempt to spin this into Gordon Campbell doing it for fairness and equity.

The death of the HST falls directly on Gordon Campbell. Deny it all you want. Spin it all you want. You can't change the facts.

Nothing "anecdotal" about it if you had been paying attention to what was said and the information that was being peddled. I have laid it out in gruesome detail in the past with sources and and cited excerpts.

You should learn what the term anecdotal means.

Only dumbfracks who took first year accounting and macroeconomics think HST is good. Get an actual degree then talk undergrads.

Thank god they took this crap away. Retards who eat up the governments bull are so sad.

Obviously ronthecivil and Wetcosters minds have slowed so much they can't even use what they paid to learn to think objectively!

Are you in denial my friend?

The HST referendum succeeded only because of Gordon Campbell, who lowered the vote’s requirements.

The referendum would have failed under the rules of B.C.’s Recall and Initiative Act. The act requires half of all registered voters in the province to vote in favour of change, a benchmark the HST referendum did not meet.

What part of that don't you understand?

Sure bud, it's so much easier to just say 'everyone who voted no was just taken by this one guy' rather than actually having to think about it.

Did some people vote no based on what he said? I'm sure they did. Did everyone? Absolutely not.

Or because they honestly thought it was a worse tax or they wanted to send a message to the liberals or.... Right or wrong, stupid or not my point is simply putting all the blame on one man is a pretty simple minded and disingenuous look at a very complex issue.

Archived