The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What a beautiful HST free day

Harbinger

That is correct. It would also mean that we would have been left with a regressive, ineffecient system of taxation.

Not only that, but after the word had gotten out that Campbell turned down an offer of 1.6 billion dollars in order to implement a tax system widely regarded by economists as superior to the PST/GST, the amount of critcism leveled at him by the NDP and the rest of the GC detractors, would have made the anti-HST complaints seem like nothing.

He did the right thing. Unfortunately, he overestimated the integrity of his political opponents and many of the voters of this province.

It's so beautiful to be HST free :)

Working in the renovation business there has definitely been a spike in estimate inquiries since about two weeks before April 1st. People have been looking forward to this for a while. It's definitely bearing itself out in our business.

It's so beautiful to be HST free :)

Working in the renovation business there has definitely been a spike in estimate inquiries since about two weeks before April 1st. People have been looking forward to this for a while. It's definitely bearing itself out in our business.

Geez, it's not that I hate the NDP's ideals, but Adrian DIx is so bad he almost makes me want to vote for Christy Clark. But then I realize that I couldn't do that, so it makes me want to actually vote Green.

But then I remember that I now live in Ontario and am happy I don't have to deal with the mess :D

I do want to come back some day though. Thinking in the medium-long term, an NDP win, an NDP debacle, and a return to power of a cleaned-up Liberal party is probably what would be best.

I'm paying less now. You can't really tell me i was saving anything, because the price of everything has gone up in Vancouver. Going to swim sharpening my skates. food services, the price of everything has gone up, on top of adding a new tax to it. I'm a guy that actually eats out a lot, so I've already been saving through that. Was I saving money before? No. Did I notice the price of regular day things go up the past 2 years. YES I ???? DID! are there more jobs in BC? NO!

sorry bro. we can bicker about this all day, but the end result is, hst is gone. Businesses were not going to pass on the savings to us.

But they did. I posted earlier in this thread about how the CPI in BC decreased relative to the rest of Canada during the time the HST was enacted, as opposed to the same period before the HST was implemented in which time it tracked the CPI in the rest of Canada. Simply put, after-tax prices of things in BC went down during the HST. AFTER TAX.

I have Statistics Canada information on the prices of all goods in BC to back me up.

You eat out a lot... do you buy liquor while out at dinner? Because you're paying more for that now.

No, i'm not a drinker.

i'm not saying this for argument sake. I did not notice the price drop of anything when the hst was in place, infact I noticed the opposite of that happening. I'm being honest with you right now. When the vote was happening, I looked at all options, I did as much research as I can on the HST, in the end, I still didn't see how the HST will help ME. Myself, because there were so many factors I can look at. Yes there can be more jobs! Yes our government was rewarding people moving businesses over here. But I was just spending more and more and I had to rely on doing my shopping over the internet.

Anyways, thanks for the chat. I understand how you guys (hst supporters) are upset that it didn't go through, and I don't blame you guys for that. I'm sure there are some benefits of the HST, but again, the hst wasn't helping me. Job growth didn't really refelct that too, as a lot of companies were leaving B.C

We can only now wait and watch to see if Ontario's situation will improve as they have the hst the same time we imposed it.

Thank you liberals for doing as the people asked and removed that POS tax. Went to the restaurant and paid less. Then went and did some groceries, paid less. It was pretty awesome. It's amazing when you can actually see the difference like that. Thank you Jesus.

Don't worry, you will soon be back to buying less groceries as soon as the income tax goes up. One way or another, the government (NDP or Liberal) will get their money.

Tax income before it enters your bank account or tax spend... I would rather have the money in my bank and spend less/invest more.

This is what I don't understand.

All of the anti-HST crowd are patting themselves on the back for striking down what they saw as a "tax grab" by the Liberals. Now they're going to vote in an NDP government whose support base consists of large public sector unions, who will be looking for more government money. The BCTF is already running ads.

How do people think Adrian Dix plans to pay for everything? He has no choice. Unless he wants to run a huge deficit, he's going to have to increase taxes somewhere. If a consumption tax is so unpalatable to 55% of British Columbians, they're going to have to live with higher income taxes.

That seems pretty bass-ackwards to me, although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, considering the source.

Pretty simple - NDP backers think money grows on trees.

Well, that, and our collective wallets. This was something i addressed in a thread earlier - /topic/341608-bc-elections-ndp-supporters-in-for-rude-awakening/">http://forum.canucks...rude-awakening/ - but of course the NDP shills here shot that down, addressing no tangible points as to how to pay for everything.

Archived