#451 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Well, that's a whole other issue...

Of course, it's easier to play like big, bruising thugs like Boston when the NHL has your back, instead of standing behind you with a knife waiting for any opportunity....

and don't forget the media...
It still shouldn't matter play the way you need to win damn the consequences. If they get enough positive backing things chould change.
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."
Booker T. Washington

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#452 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

In general, I like the trade.

Connauton is low on my list of Canuck d-man prospects. I regret the team having to give up a 2nd more than trading the player.

Roy isn't big.

He is fairly good on offense, doesn't seem to be that bad with regard to his +/-, and looks to be a good play maker. If he can skate well enough then he should fit in nicely with Kesler and whoever winds up on the 2nd line with them (Booth - if he's still here, Kassian, Jensen, Raymond - if he's still here, Higgins, other?).

As has been pointed out, he is not the greatest at face-offs. In a good year he's just over 50%. in a bad year he's mid 40's. This being said, if he is on the 2nd line, then Kesler could take at least all of the "important" face offs.

Re-signing Roy next year could be a problem. Assuming Booth, Ballard and Luongo ("the usual suspects") are traded or bought out, then obviously, the team has more wiggle room.

The biggest factor I see in whether or not the team tries to re-sign Roy is what comes back in trade (supposedly for Luongo).

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#453 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

TEAM Radio@TEAM104010m
Roy: Kassian offered Roy the #9 jersey but he "won't take it because he's a good kid". Roy will still "pondering" between a few numbers

If Kassian decides that he's not particularily attached to the #9....maybe he & Roy could swap #'s in training camp prior to next season...if they're still 'Nucks. But @ present....very considerate jestures made by both.

Edited by viking mama, 02 April 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#454 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

If he isnt re signed it is a pointless pickup and a waste of a 2nd and Kconn who could be used in a more permanent deal, he isnt the missing piece for a deep run and to get someone for 15 games just for the sake of making a trade is just dumb.

You're probably right, but only because there is never a guaranteed road to winning the cup. There are some really great teams to compete against this year.However, if Roy manages to return to form of a couple of years ago he was good for nearly a point a game. That kind of performance level goes a huge ways to making a deep playoff run.Are we going to win the cup? Probably not. But at least Gillis is making a go of it rather than throwing in the towel....and what if he manages to return to prior form and get us a point a game?
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#455 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

These alone are worth signing him to a deal. Getting the extra 10-15 points a full season would be worth it.
Posted Image

#456 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Lol Roy good center I guess, don't think he will want to resign here at our price. But you think his size helps play against a team like LA, Chi, or STL?
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#457 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Gilman says...stay tuned for what's coming next. Okay...expectations are growing - again. Gillis better bring it!

Edited by viking mama, 02 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#458 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Lol Roy good center I guess, don't think he will want to resign here at our price. But you think his size helps play against a team like LA, Chi, or STL?

Same size as Brad Marchand. Roy plays with heart and tenacity and he's offensively gifted.

Subbancopy.jpg

#459 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

This deal just undercut all the Leafs lowball Bozak leveraging.

Toronto just realized it's either Kipper, or a hockey trade for Luongo.

Suck it Laffs!

Trading for Roy by giving up a 2nd and K-Conn (a LD) does impact a possible Lou deal. Gillis can eat some CAP coming back but also get some pics. Absolutely love the Ballard for Streit idea. RD with a nice shot. As a typical CDC Canuck fan my pendulum is waving back and forth out of control!

#460 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

People who are mad about Connauton leaving clearly don't watch him play. His potential has likely peaked, and it's unlikely he ever becomes a full time NHLer. It's good to get something for him while he still has value.

Obviously it sucks to give up a 2nd round pick, but you gotta give up something to get something of value. And with our track record of 2nd round picks (Sauve, Rodin, Mallet), we're likely not giving up that much.

I have a feeling we'll get at least that pick, if not a 1st in a Luongo trade anyways. That's what makes this deal easier to make for Gillis.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#461 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well I'm disappointed.

I just don't see how it makes sense. The guy's a f-------g midget! I thought Gillis said we were getting BIGGER.

Also how do you justify giving away one of the hardest shots and biggest guys in the AHL AND a 2nd for what is basically a rental when Chicago gave a 4th for Handzus?

I know I wanted him to make a move but I didn't want him chuck resources away for a guy the other team didn't want in the first place.............AND he wants a damn fortune probably to stay.
Kevin.jpg

#462 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

If Gillis doesn't sign Roy then this is a FAIL. I like Roy but I like 2nd round picks in deep drafts more than rental players in seasons where we are soooooooooooo far from competing for the big prize. It's only a good trade if Roy wants to be here and signs a reasonable deal.

not gonna happen. Roy wants to be paid like a top center in the league 6+mill, that is why Dallas gave him up. Don't think Canucks will sign him for that as a 2nd liner/3rd line center...maybe but doubt it
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#463 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'm just glad Gillis went the skill route in choosing Roy to fill the center position. With Canucks scoring struggle so far, Roy's offensive pass first mentality will help. As far as I know, the closest other option at center that we were close to acquiring was Boyd Gordon. Last year Gillis chose the Defensive route for the third line (Samuel Pahlsson). This year the need for more skill guys is high so it only makes sense to get the more skilled guy in Roy.

As for the people whining about what we gave up. We need to make a push for the cup NOW. Giving up a 2nd round pick and higher picks is not a big deal if it means we have a Stanley Cup push while the Sedins are not dramatically hitting the downfall. Giving up a first round is not what I'm saying though, losing a first rounder is a whole different story and that's something a team like Vancouver needs to hold on to. Kevin Connauton isn't one of the top defensive prospects we have. Sauve, Carrado, and Anderson are ranked higher in my opinion to crack the roster over him leaving him expendable.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#464 doobiedoodoo

doobiedoodoo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Not sure Roy is what the Canucks need, but willing to give him a chance.

#465 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Best part about this deal? I have Roy in my fantasy pool :P.

But great deal all in all. The 2nd is a non factor in this situation. Luongo trade will off-set it. We still have our 1st, and gained a legitimate 2C. Last year Gaustad (a solid 3C in his own right) fetched a 1st.

Kind of sad to see KConn go, but we're pretty set on the club with Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all locked up long term.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#466 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ugh, too much for a rental. The Canucks' D prospects were already thin, and Connauton was the most NHL ready of them.

Corrado is a way better d prospect. we can afford connaughton.

#467 "Bull" Horvat

"Bull" Horvat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Roy is a lot stronger on the defensive side than Cody Hodgson, definitely a lot skilled. So no, CoHo fans, can't compare that.

To those who wanna bash about trading Connauton away, this guy has fell in our prospects ladder. 2nd top dmen after corrado is andersson now. connauton gave up a lot of his offensive abilities to be a player who can play two way just so he can make the big league team but even in his own words this veteran defensemen group is too hard to break into
Posted Image

#468 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well I'm disappointed.

I just don't see how it makes sense. The guy's a f-------g midget! I thought Gillis said we were getting BIGGER.

Also how do you justify giving away one of the hardest shots and biggest guys in the AHL AND a 2nd for what is basically a rental when Chicago gave a 4th for Handzus?

I know I wanted him to make a move but I didn't want him chuck resources away for a guy the other team didn't want in the first place.............AND he wants a damn fortune probably to stay.

You are so missing the big picture here.

The team got better for a gamble that the 2nd may pan out. Connauton was a long shot. The team got better.... I repeat.... the team got better.

Roy will be a compounding effect on the players we have. Whoever lines up with him will get substantially more and better scoring chances. That's a much bigger need for our team than size.

Edited by theminister, 02 April 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#469 "Bull" Horvat

"Bull" Horvat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Best part about this deal? I have Roy in my fantasy pool :P.

But great deal all in all. The 2nd is a non factor in this situation. Luongo trade will off-set it. We still have our 1st, and gained a legitimate 2C. Last year Gaustad (a solid 3C in his own right) fetched a 1st.

Kind of sad to see KConn go, but we're pretty set on the club with Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all locked up long term.

yooou know it! i got him last night hahaha

btw, Roy will be centering 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen
Posted Image

#470 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,299 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well I'm disappointed.

Handzus for a 4th was a much, much worse deal. Handzus is a marginal 4th liner. There's no comparison to be made. I'd consider Handzus as a winger for Lappy on the 4th line if he were on waivers.
Otherwise, you're obsessing over size. Roy is a BIG talent.

#471 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,218 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Maybe watching Roy dive will make the rest of our teams' dives more acceptable. Hehe. Yeah right.
Posted Image

#472 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

If this is true... plan the parade.

Its like trading hitler to Israel ...

LOL,

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#473 "Bull" Horvat

"Bull" Horvat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

You are so missing the big picture here.

The team got better for a gamble that the 2nd may pan out. Connauton was a long shot. The team got better.... I repeat.... the team got better.

Roy will be a compounding effect on the players we have. Whoever lines up with him will get substantially more and better scoring chances. That's a much bigger need for our team than size.

to add to this , Roy plays bigger than his size suggests. to the guy "theminister" quoted, i guess no midgets pan out eh as solid nhl forwards eh? St. Louis? Gionta ? Cogliano ? Gerbe ? Ennis ?
Posted Image

#474 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well I'm disappointed.

Right.... Cause getting bigger worked out so great last year.. Fact is we need goals. Goals = wins. Big plugs who can't skate will not get us goals. Big plugs who can't skate = no goals = no wins. Skilled players like Roy = goals = wins.

Do you see what I'm getting at sugar plum?
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#475 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Nah that was a separate trade for MAG

Also, AV absolutely refused to give him a chance so nothing lost there.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#476 a Fool

a Fool

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

This. Canucks have needed a puck distributor up front all year. This also takes pressure off Kesler who will be able to play tough 5-on-5 minutes, #1PP, and #1PK without killing himself.

#477 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,299 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Got er done the day before the deadline.
Now the cream is all we're looking for -and there's time to churn it.

#478 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Roy Kassian
Raymond Kesler Hansen
Higgins Lappy Weise

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#479 eagleeyedak

eagleeyedak

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Handzus for a 4th was a much, much worse deal. Handzus is a marginal 4th liner. There's no comparison to be made. I'd consider Handzus as a winger for Lappy on the 4th line if he were on waivers.
Otherwise, you're obsessing over size. Roy is a BIG talent.

Handzus is 55% faceoffs, though. You think this isn't a big deal until you see how many defensive zone faceoffs Henrik is having to take right now as a result of Kes/Manny being out.

#480 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

People who are mad about Connauton leaving clearly don't watch him play. His potential has likely peaked, and it's unlikely he ever becomes a full time NHLer. It's good to get something for him while he still has value.

Obviously it sucks to give up a 2nd round pick, but you gotta give up something to get something of value. And with our track record of 2nd round picks (Sauve, Rodin, Mallet), we're likely not giving up that much.

I have a feeling we'll get at least that pick, if not a 1st in a Luongo trade anyways. That's what makes this deal easier to make for Gillis.

The other big thing with Kevin C. -- when would he even crack the Canucks? People can debate whether the d-core is good enough all they want, but considering the deals handed out, would he really be beating anyone we have into the lineup in the next while? Not likely at all...

Decent trade. Second's tough, but Roy's a great player and a perfect showpiece for kids like Schroeder of what you can do without size, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.