Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
384 replies to this topic

#361 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,804 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

im pretty disappointed in this organization... for being known as a classy club, a club that gave our backup (at the time) an important game against his hometown team (and the team that beat us down for the cup) - why, a few days after an emotional presser that gave us a glimpse into roberto's true feelings on his situation, did they not give him the start on his birthday??

The team doesn't have the luxury of being sentimental. They're in a dogfight to win their division.

Right now, Schneider is the hot hand and it's absolutely the right decision to play him until that changes.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#362 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

You're still not getting it.

He didn't need to win that game to redeem himself. He did need to give the team a decent chance to come back to do so.

You're correct when you say he played well after the two goals, however, those saves needed to happen when he came in, not after giving up a couple.

Shorty said it during last night's game. The Canucks played like they were beaten for most of Saturday's game....because they were. That's what happens when you get into a 4-0 hole early on.

2-0 is no big deal. Teams recover form that all the time, especially with 55 minutes left to do so.

lol if you think being down 2-0 in the first 2 minutes on the first 2 shots doesn't deflate a team then just...wow

I find it absolutely hilarious that you're making it sound like Luongo was more to blame for that loss than Schneider. Schneider is a big boy you don't need to make excuses for him, he had an offnight that night. Pulling him and throwing Luongo in when he hadn't played in 7 games and was ice cold was stupid as well, should have just left Schneider in he would have gotten settled

Edited by Primus099, 05 April 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#363 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,804 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

lol if you think being down 2-0 in the first 2 minutes on the first 2 shots doesn't deflate a team then just...wow

I find it absolutely hilarious that you're making it sound like Luongo was more to blame for that loss than Schneider. Schneider is a big boy you don't need to make excuses for him, he had an offnight that night. So did Luongo

I'm suggesting nothing of the sort. Have you actually read my posts?

I originally replied to a guy who said that Lou wasn't given a chance to redeem himself. I said that he was; in the Edmonton game.

It's not a matter of who was more "at fault" for the loss. It was a case of giving up two goals immediately upon entering a 2-0 game, which is not "redeeming" yourself, no matter what you do the rest of the way.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#364 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious that you're making it sound like Luongo was more to blame for that loss than Schneider. Schneider is a big boy you don't need to make excuses for him, he had an offnight that night. Pulling him and throwing Luongo in when he hadn't played in 7 games and was ice cold was stupid as well

Which goalie was in net wasn't going to make the difference that night... unless he was willing to stop all the shots and score a couple of goals too. It was a bad game... sucks... but it happens... lesson learned... move on... revenged next meeting... about all the good things that can come from a game like that did... lets stop dwelling on it.
Posted Image

#365 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Id fire you instantly if you had your way.

Awful.

If i had my way...

Kassian with the Sedins,.. Not because Burrows isnt awesome, but just to mix it up, and give opposition a different look here and there.
Get rid of useless Booth and his contract
Get rid of Ballard (not because i dont like him, but because you cant pay your 6th dman 4 mill per year)
Play Raymond with Kesler (Because they both had their best years while playing together. We've forgotten how well they played with eachother)
Trade Schneider for a young player or two who could potentially be franchise players in a few years when Sedins are on decline. Give the ball back to Lou
Play Garrison on the PP as much as possible

Edited by EddieVedder, 05 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#366 kassians_fist

kassians_fist

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Gillis even acknowledged this, and they have been nothing but supportive of him thru this whole process. Youre whiny and your logic is flawed.

Not sure what part of my post was whiny and since I'm not Luongo I could very well be wrong, but if it were me in his shoes I know I would be feeling very stressed out about the future because of my family life.

Edited by kassians_fist, 05 April 2013 - 04:31 PM.

kassiansig2_zps8c73ed3c.jpg

#367 kassians_fist

kassians_fist

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ok my post was a bit whiny when i reread it, but I do feel bad for the guy.

#368 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Luongo was an idiot saying his contract sucks.. him acknowledging that he has an unmovable contract does not make MG's job any easier nor does he does he get leverage when they are dealing him.

He also just gave his critics/haters a soundbit they'll use now till he gets traded... even TSN played that clip 2 times in his highlight package... :picard:

#369 kassians_fist

kassians_fist

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Luongo was an idiot saying his contract sucks.. him acknowledging that he has an unmovable contract does not make MG's job any easier nor does he does he get leverage when they are dealing him.

He also just gave his critics/haters a soundbit they'll use now till he gets traded... even TSN played that clip 2 times in his highlight package... :picard:

Yeah that was careless. That's the only clip I've been seeing/hearing played of that interview.

#370 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not sure what part of my post was whiny and since I'm not Luongo I could very well be wrong, but if it were me in his shoes I know I would be feeling very stressed out about the future because of my family life.

Keep in mind in the last three years alone his bank account has grown by 24 million dollars... now i think that would help ease the stress about the future a bit!!

#371 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Keep in mind in the last three years alone his bank account has grown by 24 million dollars... now i think that would help ease the stress about the future a bit!!

Wow people need to get over how much he makes... all athletes make a boat load get the frack over it.

He brought pride to our organization and is by far the greatest goalie to ever play for us. He will be in the hall of fame one day
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#372 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wow people need to get over how much he makes... all athletes make a boat load get the frack over it.

He brought pride to our organization and is by far the greatest goalie to ever play for us. He will be in the hall of fame one day

Not sure about HOF one day.... i think unless he wins a cup or vezina trophy he will go down much the same as Curtis Joseph did, great goalie but not great enough for the hall.

#373 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,638 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

What else is new? He's been making it hard for him to get dealt from the beginning.

First of all letting it slip that he wanted a trade.

Then refusing to waive his no-trade to go to Toronto back at the draft.

Then letting it be known that Florida was pretty much his first and only choice of teams.

MG is pretty much in a position where he can only deal him to Florida now. And Florida likely knows it. The only question is, do they even want him?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#374 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

As far as money goes... If someone like Jannik Hansen had his career end today, he would have far more to be worried about financially for the rest of his life to support his family etc, If Lui had to he would be quite well set just from these last few years not to mention the contract before this one. I'm pretty sure he would have a comfortable life with no worries whatsoever.

#375 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

What else is new? He's been making it hard for him to get dealt from the beginning.

First of all letting it slip that he wanted a trade.

Then refusing to waive his no-trade to go to Toronto back at the draft.

Then letting it be known that Florida was pretty much his first and only choice of teams.

MG is pretty much in a position where he can only deal him to Florida now. And Florida likely knows it. The only question is, do they even want him?

MG should ask him to waive his NTC for any team that shows intrests if he wants to play again...

Thats the only way were gonna get anything good for him. All the rumoured destinations know how desperate MG is getting and were losing leverage each time he opens his mouth.

I hope MG doesnt wait all summer to trade him, ship him out as soon as the no trade period has been lifted.

If Bishop and Mason plays really well and lock the #1 goaltender on their team, there goes 2 destinations for Luo.

I also fear that LA could trade Bernier to Toronto =/ That leaves us Florida, who might not even want Luongo anymore...

#376 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

As far as money goes... If someone like Jannik Hansen had his career end today, he would have far more to be worried about financially for the rest of his life to support his family etc, If Lui had to he would be quite well set just from these last few years not to mention the contract before this one. I'm pretty sure he would have a comfortable life with no worries whatsoever.

including this year jannick hansen has made over 3 million dollars the last 3 seasons. the average person does not make anywhere near that in their entire lifetime.

if you're "worried financially" with over 3 million dollars then you're doing something wrong

#377 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

including this year jannick hansen has made over 3 million dollars the last 3 seasons. the average person does not make anywhere near that in their entire lifetime.

if you're "worried financially" with over 3 million dollars then you're doing something wrong

I hear you, i can't imagine that kind of money ever. It always amazes me the number of pro athletes who squander every dollar they ever made.

#378 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Oh... no that's unfortunate. You have it very wrong.

PS. Luongo was stellar in both games he played.

Is Chris Luongo playing in the NHL again? Because you cant be talking about Roberto, 3.59 GAA and .891 Sv% are the opposite of stellar.

#379 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Not trying to be nit picky here but game 3 was scoreless after the 1st.The power play that game was 0 for 8. 2 shorthanded goals in that game didn't help either. I realize that Luongo is one of the penalty killers too but the team's play in front of him was shockingly bad. Saw it in person. It wasn't pretty.

Game 4 was 1-0 Boston after the 1st. Not really a first period collapse. The team went 0 for 6 on the PP.

Game 6 was as you remember it. An ass kicking in the 1st period. The team went 1 for 6 on the PP.

Game 7 was 1-0 Boston until halfway through the 2nd.

And then the floodgates opened.

#380 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

And then the floodgates opened.

And the team continued to not score.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#381 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Good lord, well said.

Look how many crappy games and moments Brodeur has had, yet he's been there his entire career and never questioned as the starter.

That's because he was able to get the job done and wasn't outplayed by any of his backups.

#382 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

This times a million. How many franchise goalies have been treated this way. did Bill ranford, grant Fuhr, patrick Roy, Marty brodeur, Ron Hextall and so on get fracked by GM's/coaches like this?

Oh please. Hextall was a Conn Smythe winner against a powerhouse Oilers team and the rest of the guys you mentioned elevated their game in the playoffs and won Stanley Cups.
Luongo has done none of that while being touted as the best goalie on the planet, BS.

#383 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

When luongo first came to Vancouver, we broke the record of winning most one goal game in a season, with luongo single handedly taken us to the second round playoff a season after the wce was disbanded.

I would bank on that Cory will do the same like Lu did for us, and this would be the saddest thing since you can already see his future as a canucks today.

And if the canucks can't get past the second round for a season or two? Cory will be chase out of town with gillis, av, Kesler and the Sedins by fans with pitchforks and spoon

If Cory gives the team a chance to win and doesn't get lit up like a Christmas tree every playoffs he will be treated just fine.
Just look at Luongo, he has a spotty playoff record at best and still to this day has die-hard fans like yourself who worship him like a false idol.

#384 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

If i had my way...

Kassian with the Sedins,.. Not because Burrows isnt awesome, but just to mix it up, and give opposition a different look here and there.
Get rid of useless Booth and his contract
Get rid of Ballard (not because i dont like him, but because you cant pay your 6th dman 4 mill per year)
Play Raymond with Kesler (Because they both had their best years while playing together. We've forgotten how well they played with eachother)
Trade Schneider for a young player or two who could potentially be franchise players in a few years when Sedins are on decline. Give the ball back to Lou
Play Garrison on the PP as much as possible

Yep, and most likely another 2nd round loss in the playoffs. The same old, same old is not going to work. It didn't work before so why should it now?

#385 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

What a complete gong show. Coming up on 2 years now. This just typifies the Canucks (dis)Organization. This is the way to treat your franchise player, best Canucks goalie all time, supposed Captain of the team? Drag it out through the mud and media for 2 years???

I can only imagine the dissention and division this would create in the locker room. Unless they are all having a laugh at the medias expense and the plan all along has been Lu/Schneids for the Cup, but I doubt it.

And good lord, the contracts MG hands out :picard: If MG is to continue on as gm here, I hope all his rookie mistakes are out of the way cuz they are starting to have a seriously negative impact on the team.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.