The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

Schneider's been doing well since finally getting his designated starting role in March (following Luongo-Schneider splits). Canucks have been winning games, and with exception of last night's match against the Stars, he could hardly be blamed for their failures.

Ultimately though, as I said before, Luongo realistically has little hope of getting traded. They can sit him for the rest of the season and into the playoffs, where he will only be deadweight - if he ever gets into action cold, it means the trouble is already there. They can then attempt to sell him in a trade in the off-season, where there will be few takers, if anyone. Sitting him out will only make him look like a washed-up yesteryear, and hardly anyone will take him for Gillis' asking price.

That's why their best solution is to put Luongo back into net and give him every chance to prove himself once more. If he succeeds, he either gets his job back or they can trade him for the right price. If he fails, well, they could always revert to Schneids.

For what he's worth, they should give Luongo a second chance. The man was billed as a world class goalie from the word go, and has had a hand in many victories. Two World Championship golds, World Cup of Hockey gold, Olympic gold. Also won the QMJHL President's Trophy. His time with Canucks should have immortalized his place here: emerging a playoff hero against Dallas and Anaheim, winning gold for Canada on Canuck ice, and signing a 12-year

With his talent, his pedigree, and his accomplishments, he has too much to simply throw away. He deserves a chance at a Stanley Cup.

I will even add that after last night's game, Schneider isn't immune to the breakdowns that plagued Luongo and led to his demise with the fans and now with the coaching staff. If Luongo gets traded, Schneids takes over completely next year, and runs into similar cycles of play, people will begin to rip at him the same way, and then where will the Canucks be?

it's so funny how the vancouver media has managed to convince 90% of the team's fanbase that a goalie losing a game by more than 2 goals is considered a 'breakdown'

the team in front of schneider was awful

schneider didn't make saves when he should have

not a breakdown, just a reflection of how badly this team needs a legitimate shakeup

I certainly hope people start realizing that its not Luongo who solely breaks down but the entire team.

He is untradable and does deserve to be number one on this team. He has grown with the core, he is part of the core and if you want to compare his importance:

How would anyone feel about sitting a healthy Kesler?

How about sitting one of the Sedins each night?

How about Hamhuis or Bieksa sitting, healthy, on the bench, night after night?

Luongo's time has come.

Again I ask, AV is looking to start Schneider in the playoffs. Of Schneider falls two games to none in the first round, does he play Luongo the third game?

I certainly hope people start realizing that its not Luongo who solely breaks down but the entire team.

He is untradable and does deserve to be number one on this team. He has grown with the core, he is part of the core and if you want to compare his importance:

Luongo's time has come.

Again I ask, AV is looking to start Achneider in the playoffs. Of Schneider falls two games to none in the first round, does he play Luongo the third game?

Which ever goalie plays better at key times in the following games should get starts in the playoffs. The Canucks need to forget about the regular season play and focus on the playoffs, and that goes for all players.

We need big hitters up front, which is why guys like Higgins and Kassian should be seeing more ice time. They may not be as effective as say Hansen or Raymond in the regular season, but come playoff time it's forwards like these that score key goals and grind opponents down.

The same can be said for defencemen. I'd rather have Alberts and a veteran D man like Vandermeer in our lineup than Ballard and Barker. We need physicality, leadership and experience on the blueline, not fragile offensive defencemen who would get crunched by the 6'6" giant forwards out there.

Finally, goaltending is exactly the same. In the playoffs, the Cup winning goalie hardly ever plays 20-25 games of consistent, great hockey. The Cup winner is however the most clutch goalie in the NHL, and that's what we should aim for now. Schneider has been good consistently, but he's blown it at key pressure times in games lately. This guy hasn't won any big games apart from an AHL championship (forget about that, AHL success does NOT equal NHL success so to me that means nothing). In the meantime, we have Luongo who is a proven big game player. He isn't consistently good, in fact he's very inconsistent, but when he plays well he plays very well and he does it at important times in important games. No one understands big game pressure in the NHL better than Luongo (perhaps only Crosby and Toews are more clutch), which is why Luongo should be our guy in the playoffs.

That being said, I say give both goalies a chance over these next huge games against Detroit, Anaheim and Chicago. Whoever comes up with the big saves and big times to help our team win deserves the playoff starts.

Ooohh more goalie drama...

One of my pet peeves is that Luongo never got a fair shake. He always took the blame.

Even when we're not scoring much goals or when Byufglien was humping him on his crease.

It's all his fault.

While with Schneider, it's always the team in front of him that plays bad.

If it wasn't for him, it'd be 9-2 or something, right?

The goals he lets in, nobody could have stopped it. Just great shot, no chance at all.

Double standards much?

Ooohh more goalie drama...

One of my pet peeves is that Luongo never got a fair shake. He always took the blame.

Even when we're not scoring much goals or when Byufglien was humping him on his crease.

It's all his fault.

While with Schneider, it's always the team in front of him that plays bad.

If it wasn't for him, it'd be 9-2 or something, right?

The goals he lets in, nobody could have stopped it. Just great shot, no chance at all.

Double standards much?

Roberto has had his chances. Perhaps its time to give Cory the opportunity since he has shown he is capable of carrying our team and bringing the same elite level play that Roberto has shown. Cory hasn't got a chance, and maybe now he deserves it, since Roberto has had a few already.

And also what if Cory sits and gets cold? Either way one has to play, and the other is going to get cold.

Basically, Cory has played outstanding, our team MVP so far this year. If that continues, he will start. And deservedly so. If Roberto can uproot Cory (which is quite unlikely at this point) then he will play.

This isn't about playing Luongo so he trade value goes up (which giving him the net in the playoffs won't anyways) its about going with the guy that gives the team the best chance to win, and right now that appears to be Cory.

Right. So when Schneider plays average and the team in front of him plays terribly, the loss is the team's fault. When the same situation happens to Luongo the loss is Luongo's fault? Okay.

Canucks fans and their double standards... :picard:

Luongo's time has come.

Again I ask, AV is looking to start Achneider in the playoffs. Of Schneider falls two games to none in the first round, does he play Luongo the third game?

Well, Luongo had his chances though, and he does deserve at least part of the blame. 09, game 6, Chicago, Canucks tried their damndest to force 7, scored 5 goals, Lu let in 7. 10, again, Chicago, Lu let in 13 goals over 3 games, and 5 in game 6. 11, Game 6, Lu lets in 3 in the span of 3 minutes, game 7, Canucks try their hardest again to beat Thomas, but Lu lets in 3 on 20 shots. He's had his chances, but he couldn't capitalize, which is why we should give Schneider his shot.

people really should listen to kiprusoffs post game interview from tonight.

Paraphrasing: if you look at some other canadian cities it can be tough times for goalies and the crowd can be tough for them. Ive been lucky ive always felt like they were behind me and thats huge for the goalie.

When will people just support the players who are playing regardless of the situation or who is on the bench or signed to what contract. If the team performs & succeeds it doesnt matter who gets paid what or who plays what role its time Vancouver media and fans started realizing this.

Archived