The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duncan Keith's post-game comments towards Karen Thomson of Team 1040

stonecoldstevebernier

Kieth's a douche, i'm not surprised by his comment. i don't know if he was being sexist intentionally not not, but the comment itself is inherently sexist, but it may have just been a result of the frustration of getting completely owned by their bitter rivals that drove him to attack at the lowest common demoninator, since it was probably the first thing that came to his mind. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Chicago player though.

saying she'd be the first female referee [in the NHL] is a completely accurate and obvious statement. Dumb question by Karen since it was in fact a delayed penalty and a "no sh!t Sherlock" statement by Keith. Dumb and Dumber the sequel.

I don't see how people are ok with this

What if it was...

Bush: Well maybe we should get you as the president eh?

Obama: Maybe, but I'm not so eloquent

Bush: First black president. Can't probably think either right? But you talk like you can...see ya

Wait but that would be racism? :shock:

saying she'd be the first female referee [in the NHL] is a completely accurate and obvious statement. Dumb question by Karen since it was in fact a delayed penalty and a "no sh!t Sherlock" statement by Keith. Dumb and Dumber the sequel.

Of course he was pissed. They got owned! But, there's no defense for his comments. Frustrated, sexist or both, he was a dick pure and simple. Keith, like all pro athletes, has media training and gets paid not just to play hockey, but also to talk to the press and represent his club and the league in general. They get asked dumb, uninformed, rude and repetitive questions all the time from people who very likely don't play the game (certainly not at a professional level) they spend all of their time sitting at a desk writing about. It's not new. It's not a discovery he made last night after being asked a question (for probably the one millionth time) by a female reporter. It's the job. If Luo hasn't swung for anyone yet, Keith should be able to keep a civil tongue in his mouth and answer a few questions like a professional.

Besides, this was NOT a dumb, uninformed or rude question. Despite him pretending it didn't happen, he whacked Daniel so hard it was literally audible on the broadcast. So, of course he was going to get asked about it, especially when the player he slashed was the exact same player that just a year before he deliberately hit in the head and caused a concussion that endangered Daniel's health and career and certainly damaged the team's 2012 playoff hopes. Keith lived in BC as a teen, so he knew what kind of media circus he was in for when he slashed Daniel like that!

Maybe he's right and she doesn't know how to play hockey. (She, being a professional and trying to lighten things up, acknowledged that she doesn't know how to skate.) But, the last time I checked, there was no athletic test for reporters so it's completely irrelevant. She was doing her job and obviously well enough to ask a question that hit a little too close to comfort for Keith. He, on the other hand, ignored his training and experience and allowed his frustration and anger to get the better of him, proving that he was the one who didn't know how to do his job!

What was sexist about it. You guys need to take off the homer glasses.

Take the second line of your statement to answer your first.

Your true "in Chicago" colours are showing....

Anyhow, w/e. Add "Dirty Dunc doesn't play nice with girls" to the list.

Guest Pinchin

Oh no, I disagree with the majority, that does not usually happen but here it is. Karen Thompson asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. Keith used the ammo he had to try and make her feel dumb about asking pretty much the dumbest thing she could have asked Keith. "Duurp, do you think you should have gotten a penalty"? What is that??? Now don't get me wrong, Keith's answer was total garbage and it shows his poor character, but it wasn't sexist, it was an insult. If Keith was more intelligent or a real man he would found a more sophisticated burn, but hey, it's Duncan Keith, pretty much what I expect form him.

Karen, learn from this one...

Oh no, I disagree with the majority, that does not usually happen but here it is. Karen Thompson asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. Keith used the ammo he had to try and make her feel dumb about asking pretty much the dumbest thing she could have asked Keith. "Duurp, do you think you should have gotten a penalty"? What is that??? Now don't get me wrong, Keith's answer was total garbage and it shows his poor character, but it wasn't sexist, it was an insult. If Keith was more intelligent or a real man he would found a more sophisticated burn, but hey, it's Duncan Keith, pretty much what I expect form him.

Karen, learn from this one...

Archived