450 replies to this topic

#271 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sarcasm is an effective arguing technique.

It is when the topic is stupid.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#272 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

This really pissed me off, There is a woman in my sports management course from Colorado - a Romance writer, who is as educated about hockey as anyone I've had the pleasure of meeting. I hope the Female hockey community rips Duncan Keith a new asshole. what an ignorant POS.

#273 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Yes it is. It brings gender into the conversation and insinuates women are not capable of having the knowledge or ability to subjectively call a hockey play or game. Get your wife, woman, mother out of the kitchen and you will clearly see this.

Keith did not imply that. He was clearly explicit in saying that people who don't know the game shouldn't decide what is and what isn't a penalty. And another person insulting me on these forums. When will the moderators fix this.

#274 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Sorry, I'm confused. How is saying "first female referee" sexist? It's stating a fact.

It cannot be explained much clearer than I just did. If you can't see it then I feel bad for you.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#275 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

It is when the topic is stupid.

One-liners also make for good posts.

#276 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

It was sexist but really, isn't just easier to just forget about it and say he is a stupid guy in the heat of the moment.

Everyone complains about racists, homophobics, sexists and how they are so full of hate, yet you turn around and fill yourself full of hate, hating on them.

What is the point?

90% of this crap is totally unintentional,

I say stupid crap i dont mean every 5 mins.

I just think we all need to live by example and not worry about what other people say.

Let them hang themselves

We should be intolerant of intolerance.

I know that sounds like hypocrisy when worded that way, but it's important to stand up for equality.

If everyone just "forgot about it" and moved on, where would society be today?

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#277 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

This really pissed me off, There is a woman in my sports management course from Colorado - a Romance writer, who is as educated about hockey as anyone I've had the pleasure of meeting. I hope the Female hockey community rips Duncan Keith a new asshole. what an ignorant POS.

That's awesome about your fellow student, it really is (no sarcasm). If she is interviewing athletes in the future (hopefully she is), maybe she won't phrase a question as poorly as Karen Thomson did. Thomson did herself no favours. Male reporters get an emotional, sarcastic response from athletes, women should expect no different.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#278 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Keith did not imply that. He was clearly explicit in saying that people who don't know the game shouldn't decide what is and what isn't a penalty. And another person insulting me on these forums. When will the moderators fix this.

Yes he did imply that, there is absolutely no reason to bring gender into the conversation if he is not making that very implication.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

#279 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

That's awesome about your fellow student, it really is (no sarcasm). If she is interviewing athletes in the future (hopefully she is), maybe she won't phrase a question as poorly as Karen Thomson did. Thomson did herself no favours. Male reporters get an emotional, sarcastic response from athletes, women should expect no different.

I agree with you 100 percent. The world is full of bull**** double standards.

#280 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

There is no excuse for how he answered. I don't care how the question was asked. It was a simple question, he could have answered it but not mention her trying to play hockey and be a referee. Trevor LInden or any Canuck will never answer like that.

He doesn't need an excuse, he doesn't have to answer politely, nor does he read the CDC. If you think "any Canuck" wouldn't answer like that then you are wearing the "Homer Glasses model 5000", because over the last 40 odd years, I've heard some (very few mind you) pretty idiotic comments from Canucks. Comparing Dumbcan Keith to Trevor Linden is like comparing a juicy steak to a dried dog turd. Keith can only really be compared to the mold at the bottom Linden's sports bag.

#281 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,821 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Someone should ask Duncs if Kelly-Rae knows hockey.

4VbTWQO.gif[/url]

#282 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

It cannot be explained much clearer than I just did.  If you can't see it then I feel bad for you.

See, all you're doing is assuming that he meant it to be sexist. However, when you review the conversation, all signs do not point to this.Karen Thomson did not phrase her question well at all. She absolutely came across as a reporter that knew nothing about hockey; as though she was told ahead of time by the producer to ask Keith about whether he should have received a penalty or not. She phrased it incredibly poorly, making her come across as though she did not know what she was talking about.Keith then made a comment that she should be a referee, and then the first female referee. If it were a man who phrased the question just as poorly, he would have been given the same snide remark (and justly) from Keith. Nobody would have cared.

#283 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Daniel elbows Keith in the head. Keith elbows Daniel in the head. I am a Canuck fan. Therefore Daniel is the best and Keith is a pile of turd.

This is the argument every Canuck fan uses.

Daniel elbows Keith in the head. Keith elbows Daniel in the head. I am a <other NHL team> fan. Therefore Daniel is a pile of turd and Keith is equally a pile of turd.

Everyother persons argument(the logical one).

Keith is not the villain everyone makes him out to be.

#284 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

See, all you're doing is assuming that he meant it to be sexist. However, when you review the conversation, all signs do not point to this.Karen Thomson did not phrase her question well at all. She absolutely came across as a reporter that knew nothing about hockey; as though she was told ahead of time by the producer to ask Keith about whether he should have received a penalty or not. She phrased it incredibly poorly, making her come across as though she did not know what she was talking about.Keith then made a comment that she should be a referee, and then the first female referee. If it were a man who phrased the question just as poorly, he would have been given the same snide remark (and justly) from Keith. Nobody would have cared.

Of course I am assuming it is a sexist comment because there is no other reason to bring gender into the conversation. You tell me what other meaning can there be behind the comment "first female ref". Don't give me this bull about it is just a statement of fact, the comment was made for an underlying reason. Even as a statement of fact it is sexist because it carries the same insinuation that female are not or cannot be refs in the NHL because the don't know the game or are incapable of doing the job because they are female.

Edited by Gman, 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

#285 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Does anyone have got Keith's comment video ? Plz send me #link
Forever Canuck !

#286 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Keith is not the villain everyone makes him out to be.

BUTTS HE'Z THE VILLINZSS ANSDS DA CANUKS RULZZZ!!!@!@233@1

#287 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Of course I am assuming it is a sexist comment because there is no other reason to bring gender into the conversation. You tell me what other meaning can there be behind the comment "first female ref". Don't give me this bull about it is just a statement of fact, the comment was made for an underlying reason. Even as a statement of fact it is sexist because it carries the same insinuation that female are not or cannot be refs in the NHL because the don't know the game or are incapable of doing the job because they are female.

Because if she would become a referee then should would be the first female one.

#288 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Because if she would become a referee then should would be the first female one.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#289 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Of course I am assuming it is a sexist comment because there is no other reason to bring gender into the conversation.  You tell me what other meaning can there be behind the comment "first female ref".  Don't give me this bull about it is just a statement of fact, the comment was made for an underlying reason.  Even as a statement of fact it is sexist because it carries the same insinuation that female are not or cannot be refs in the NHL because the don't know the game or are incapable of doing the job because they are female.

Well, he was talking to a female reporter who was doing a p*ss poor job trying to ask an incredibly simple question. Like many male reporters who cover sports, she did a fine job fitting into the stereotyped "Sports reporters know nothing about the game."I don't take it as a sexist comment, as far as the first female referee, because it would be a fact. There was already a female goaltender in the NHL (pre-season). More than anything, it was just a poor choice of words, apparently, as everyone is getting their panties in a twist. Had he left it at, "Can't skate? Maybe you should be ref." No problems. Heat of the moment, phrased his answer almost as poorly as Thomson phrased her's.

#290 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

You consider that an insult? .. I would call you "thin skinned' but I would hate to insult you further (s/a)
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#291 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Well, he was talking to a female reporter who was doing a p*ss poor job trying to ask an incredibly simple question. Like many male reporters who cover sports, she did a fine job fitting into the stereotyped "Sports reporters know nothing about the game."I don't take it as a sexist comment, as far as the first female referee, because it would be a fact. There was already a female goaltender in the NHL (pre-season). More than anything, it was just a poor choice of words, apparently, as everyone is getting their panties in a twist. Had he left it at, "Can't skate? Maybe you should be ref." No problems. Heat of the moment, phrased his answer almost as poorly as Thomson phrased her's.

I 100% agree on that, if only he had left it at that. BUT he brought gender into it and using gender to try and make his point is sexist, period. No way around it. Yes, it was a poor choice of words.
Posted Image

#292 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

You don't know what the ref was going to call, I watched the replay. To say it is a penalty without knowing what the referee was actually going to do is ignorant.

No ... it was obvious... he two handed slashed him and he even wound up his swing. Its 100% a penalty even f Stephen auger is refing and it's burrows with the breakaway
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#293 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

No ... it was obvious... he two handed slashed him and he even wound up his swing. Its 100% a penalty even f Stephen auger is refing and it's burrows with the breakaway

...I still see Auger giving Burrows the penalty for not getting out of the way of the swing.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#294 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I 100% agree on that, if only he had left it at that. BUT he brought gender into it and using gender to try and make his point is sexist, period.  No way around it.  Yes, it was a poor choice of words.

And that's where we differ. Poor choice of words from a jock? Yes. But hardly came across as sexist. Thomson is a woman, is she not? She would be the first female ref, would she not? As I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be the first time that a woman was on the NHL surface the same time as men.

#295 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Keith has surpassed Marchand and Bolland for my most hated players. I cant stand the guys face and his arrogance. The player who injures him with a cheapshot will be the next jersey I buy..and I don't even feel bad about saying that.

#296 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

...I still see Auger giving Burrows the penalty for not getting out of the way of the swing.

Hahahah good call ;)

I may have used a bad example... :P
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#297 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

And that's where we differ. Poor choice of words from a jock? Yes. But hardly came across as sexist. Thomson is a woman, is she not? She would be the first female ref, would she not? As I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be the first time that a woman was on the NHL surface the same time as men.

Obviously you just don't get it. How is the bolded part of your text relevant to the conversation unless you are trying to make a point with it? Was his underlying moitvation behind saying "first female ref", to insinuate "gosh it's about time, they would do so much of a better job", no I don't think so.

I could go back and forth all day about this but some of you simply don't understand how to read between the lines. So, I'll sum up by saying:

Using gender, race, disability to further ones point is never okay, period.
Posted Image

#298 ripsh0w

ripsh0w

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

It wasn't called because it wasn't a penalty. So it is not a penalty. And he did not discriminate based on her gender. Saying first female referee is not sexist. And you probably can't play was because she said she can't skate. Not one thing he said was sexist. Get your bias out and you will clearly see this.

So you think the ref had his hand in the air for fun? errrrrr?

Posted Image

#299 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

What an absolute douche.

Just because she's female?

Hopefully this gets more attention, such a joke.

#300 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Obviously you just don't get it.  How is the bolded part of your text relevant to the conversation unless you are trying to make a point with it?  Was his underlying moitvation behind saying "first female ref", to insinuate "gosh it's about time, they would do so much of a better job", no I don't think so.

I could go back and forth all day about this but some of you simply don't understand how to read between the lines.  So, I'll sum up by saying:

Using gender, race, disability to further ones point is never okay, period.

Again, I just see this as people getting their panties in a twist over something so small. That's what she said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.