The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor McDavid: The Next Big Thing?

Drouin

For those that know him he's a 16 year hockey phenom. According to the TSN panel, if he was in this years draft, he'd be ahead of any player, included Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov.

Recently, he broke a record of points in an u-18 tournament by a Canadian. 14. In those 14 pts included a back-to-back hat-trick performance.

Only person to have more goals in that tournament? Ovechkin in '02. First player to reach exceptional status in the OHL since Ekblad. Before him? John Tavares.

My question to you is, if you were the GM of ANY organization, would you tank the season to get the top pick in 2015?

I know the draft system is a lot different than before, but would you?

Some vids on McDavid:

(TSN Covering)

(Penalty Shot)

(Comparison to Sid the Kid)

Imagine if we had traded luongo to Florida for only their 1st 2014. It would have been seen as an underpayment from Florida at the time, but now We would have had a big shot at McDavid.

Unfortunately we would be a year short if we got their 2014 1st, considering he won't be eligible until the 2015 draft.

The fact that this thread includes a question about tanking a session tells me the NHL draft system needs to change.

It did change a bit actually, and I can guarantee the Pens/Oilers did atleast one season..

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal?

Hall, RNH, Yakupov?

It did change a bit actually, and I can guarantee the Pens/Oilers did atleast one season..  

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal?

Hall, RNH, Yakupov?

For sure they did. It sucks this time a year where teams like Florida and Colorado have more incentive to losse than to win. Personlly I think the 9th place team in each division should be rewarded with a good chance at the number one pick, at least then they are rewarded for making a push. Or better yet why not have all non-playoff teams play a mini-tourny where the winner gets the 1st overall pick, that would be fun to watch.

For sure they did. It sucks this time a year where teams like Florida and Colorado have more incentive to losse than to win. Personlly I think the 9th place team in each division should be rewarded with a good chance at the number one pick, at least then they are rewarded for making a push. Or better yet why not have all non-playoff teams play a mini-tourny where the winner gets the 1st overall pick, that would be fun to watch.

That would actually be great, the tourny, then we could see who was losing on purpose :P and I agree, the 9th in each conference deserves a better chance.

Yep, and according to Darren Dreger I believe, he's trying to get in the NHL early, but the Nhl doesn't allow it, so he's getting Bobby Orr to represent his case to get in.

The NHL has never allowed it and won't ever consider it, sure the kids gonna be great but that doesn't mean they are going to change the rules for him or Bobby Orr.

The fact that this thread includes a question about tanking a session tells me the NHL draft system needs to change.

Actually, what it tells me is people on CDC are not representative of what real people involved in running hockey teams would do.

With the change this year so that any team not making the playoffs has a chance at the number one pick, it reduces the chance the last overall team would be able to tank and assure themselves a #1 overall pick. Then there's trading Luongo now to get Florida's 2015 1st rounder and thinking they'll still be a bottom feeder in two years...

Archived