The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

22 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I just go with coffee and proper over all nutrition. 

Just need to push past this first week after doing very little for at least two weeks.

I only have started using “pre” because I physically work all day before exercise

and I use “post” because I physically work all day before I exercise 

I never used them before but now I’m finding the colder temps and rain to affect my energy levels more

B)

and I’m 43

but you’re probably right.

for me the recovery supps are key..

this years goals are more sleep.

Edited by riffraff

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I’ve recently been listening to ASMR specific playlists before bed and my sleeping is day and night better (pun intended). 

My first step is going to bed at a responsible time.  I can be a night owl.  Once I’m out I sleep well.  Sometimes my training doesn’t finish until after 8pm just due scheduling and it can be difficult to “turn off” right away and go to bed.

Edited by riffraff

On 1/2/2020 at 7:56 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

I’ve recently been listening to ASMR specific playlists before bed and my sleeping is day and night better (pun intended). 

ASMR and melatonin (in low doses and in cycles).  One puts me asleep and the other keeps me asleep.  Usually get a solid 8 hours almost every night for over a year now.

Edited by skolozsy2

My best game of hockey last night, by a country mile. Because our team was short on players, and because I play defence, in the first 10-15 minutes, I got off the ice twice for about 1-2 minutes tops. For the rest of the time, so another 45 minutes, I played the entire game. We ended up losing 6-4, but it was a battle. Don’t remember the last time I sweat that much.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

My best game of hockey last night, by a country mile. Because our team was short on players, and because I play defence, in the first 10-15 minutes, I got off the ice twice for about 1-2 minutes tops. For the rest of the time, so another 45 minutes, I played the entire game. We ended up losing 6-4, but it was a battle. Don’t remember the last time I sweat that much.

Holy $&!#. That's crazy.

Both of my teams generally have 10 skaters each game. If we only have 9 we go with three D. If we have 12 we go with 3 sets of wingers. 

Last night we had 11. Absolutely $&!#ty number. Unless you are the captain and play center. And want to ease back into game play because you were a slug over the holidays.

I'm the captain. I play center  ::D

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Holy $&!#. That's crazy.

Both of my teams generally have 10 skaters each game. If we only have 9 we go with three D. If we have 12 we go with 3 sets of wingers. 

Last night we had 11. Absolutely $&!#ty number. Unless you are the captain and play center. And want to ease back into game play because you were a slug over the holidays.

I'm the captain. I play center  ::D

I was pretty pumped after the game. Surprisingly and thankfully I’m not sore today. Can’t wait for the next game. We usually have about 10, but defence is always a little short. Last night was a real grind, though. We only had 8 skaters, and unless I play back, there will constantly be 3 on 0. The number of 3 on 1s and 2 on 1st last night was unreal. Was frustrating because they never scored on any of those, but on complete flukes. But that’s the game.

But knowing I can play nearly the entire game without taking a shift off was nice. Especially considering it was my best game of the season. Next game is going to be a blast.

26 minutes ago, Monty said:

I was pretty pumped after the game. Surprisingly and thankfully I’m not sore today. Can’t wait for the next game. We usually have about 10, but defence is always a little short. Last night was a real grind, though. We only had 8 skaters, and unless I play back, there will constantly be 3 on 0. The number of 3 on 1s and 2 on 1st last night was unreal. Was frustrating because they never scored on any of those, but on complete flukes. But that’s the game.

But knowing I can play nearly the entire game without taking a shift off was nice. Especially considering it was my best game of the season. Next game is going to be a blast.

No way I could play that much without a break. I do too much sprinting in my position.

My next game is tomorrow night on my lower level team. I'm looking forward to that because it is a more appropriate level of play.

The team last night is one that got moved into a division we shouldn't be in. Most nights it is just a good skate because we are just chasing the play for an hour. 

10 hours ago, Monty said:

After last night, really didn’t know how much energy I’d have today. One of the best gym sessions I’ve ever had. Either that, or being sick all December really did make me stronger.

I was also horribly sick all December. I had this awful cold that led into an awful cough. It destroyed my cardio. 

Finally feeling much better now though. I probably worked out about 6-7 times in the whole month of December and not even at full intensity. My cardio is not as good and my strength is down, but my muscles definitely feel rested. 

I'm currently on 5 days in a row of working out or hockey. Also doing a sober January to lose those last 5-10 lbs. It's amazing how easily fat melts off without the beer and hangover pizza.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just met with my personal trainer to go over my diet and prepare for my half marathon in May. Took my body fat % and BMI (last I did it was a month ago).

In the normal range, finally, for body fat%!!! Big milestone.

• Cheers 1