The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

4 hours ago, Monty said:

No frickin joke. At the gym right now and am in the middle of my inclined shoulder press. Got off to stretch. Turned around after about 20 seconds to jump back on, and someone took one of my weights off my machine. 

WTF?

Wars have been started for less!!!

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Wars have been started for less!!!

It was so weird. I didn’t notice until my first rep, when I launched my right arm up with no problem. Then I looked around to see who took it off and had the weight.

Going to ask if I can review their surveillance tapes. Gotta solve this mystery.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

It was so weird. I didn’t notice until my first rep, when I launched my right arm up with no problem. Then I looked around to see who took it off and had the weight.

Going to ask if I can review their surveillance tapes. Gotta solve this mystery.

I recently had issues too.

We have free gym in our office building.

Lockers are for 'day use' only. Which means you use lockers only while visiting gym. We recently have acquired several new tenants in the building. Seems new people don't like following rules. I was gradually seeing lockers with locks on them while I was the ONLY one in the gym. I lodged complaint. I see less locks on lockers now. I got to use my favourite locker today  :lol:

So if you need back up on this investigation..........

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Monty said:

No frickin joke. At the gym right now and am in the middle of my inclined shoulder press. Got off to stretch. Turned around after about 20 seconds to jump back on, and someone took one of my weights off my machine. 

WTF?

I got lost down the You tube rabbit hole once and found a ton of videos where scraps started in gyms over exactly these types of things.

As Shifty says, wars could start! Don't mess with people while their adrenaline is going. I am often 'angry' when I lift, or maybe it's intensity but not a good idea to mess with folks in that state. 

Not cool, good luck on your investigation.

Looking to bench 315lbs for a 1RM next year for my goal.

Was wondering if anyone knows if it’s attainable while maintaining around 160lbs BW.

Currently sitting 275lbs 1RM at 165-168lbs.

Not on any structured regimen or anything for benching, just want to be able to do 315lbs by the end of next year.

• Upvote 1

Shoulder pressing in the squat rack, yay or nay?

Some juice head gave me sh%t for it cause he wanted to squat. I told him nicely that I had 1 more set and it's all his after that. He got in my face and started whining, so I ended up doing 4 more sets (10 total) just to piss him off. 

For more context, gym was fairly empty and juice head could of done anything else or just waited a minute. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Shoulder pressing in the squat rack, yay or nay?

Some juice head gave me sh%t for it cause he wanted to squat. I told him nicely that I had 1 more set and it's all his after that. He got in my face and started whining, so I ended up doing 4 more sets (10 total) just to piss him off. 

For more context, gym was fairly empty and juice head could of done anything else or just waited a minute. 

Was it the only squat rack? And how much were you pressing ?

18 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Yup, I worked upto 185. Yes this dude was wider than me but he was also a few inches shorter. 

Typically I’d say if it’s the only squat rack you should avoid doing MP in there unless the gym’s empty and give it up to somebody if they want to squat. But if you only had one set left I don’t think that’s really a big deal at all. 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

They don't have one south of the Fraser :(

Ahh, I always see that recipe advertised on the tv at GoodLife. Actually looks delicious but I’ve never tried it.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:48 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gotta put your water on the seat or etc.

Sometimes you gotta just piss on that seat and mark your territory.

19 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Yup, I worked upto 185. Yes this dude was wider than me but he was also a few inches shorter. 

I hope you made the little man look up when you told him the squat rack was now yours.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

It's unsafe to control the weight to the ground when finished a heavy lift for some exercises.

For example - it's unsafe to dumbbell press 90's and then try to control them to the ground while on your back, you'll tear your pec or your rotator cuff. 

Also unsafe to finish a clean or a snatch that's near your 3 rep max and try to control the bar to the ground you'll hurt your low back.

Dumbell press is pretty easy I find..at least for myself to control the weight on the way down on last rep and not chuck them. I guess it’s understandable if it’s a much heavier weight but at times; just seems like some mfers like bangin around weight for attention.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brilac said:

I've been doing Hot Yoga and Hot Pilates for about 4 weeks now.  I cancelled my gym membership and I have a monthly autopay for Hot Yoga / Hot Pilates.  Besides Hot Yoga / Hot Pilates, I like outdoor activities and ice skating.

Do dudes take off their shirts in your hot yogs/pilates classes?

And if so, why is that allowed? if the girls can't

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I’m guessing it’s because women don’t “rub one out” when men walk around with no shirt. 

The amount of men that would make it impossible for women to continue exercising is too many to count.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Dudes do, but there are not very many dudes in my classes.  About 1 and the rest women.