The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Been feeling sick lately, but that’s neither here nor there.

So after consulting with a number of people (marathon runners, one former Ironman competitor), changing up my routine right now for the next 2 months. Putting on a lot of muscle over that time, so more weight and less reps. Then, for the 4 months after, to prepare for the half marathon, going to do less weight and higher reps, combined with more cardio and running.

Going to be fun!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Been feeling sick lately, but that’s neither here nor there.

So after consulting with a number of people (marathon runners, one former Ironman competitor), changing up my routine right now for the next 2 months. Putting on a lot of muscle over that time, so more weight and less reps. Then, for the 4 months after, to prepare for the half marathon, going to do less weight and higher reps, combined with more cardio and running.

Going to be fun!

Are you looking for time or completion for your run? I've been toying with the idea of doing a half next summer as well. I started running again a couple years ago - really just eased into it and only in the spring/summer - and I can comfortably do around 10k. If I want to do a half I 'spose I need to find an indoor track soon...

44 minutes ago, babych said:

Are you looking for time or completion for your run? I've been toying with the idea of doing a half next summer as well. I started running again a couple years ago - really just eased into it and only in the spring/summer - and I can comfortably do around 10k. If I want to do a half I 'spose I need to find an indoor track soon...

Completion, for now.

12 hours ago, babych said:

When I was comfy with 10k I pushed that to 13s about 3-4/week then did a 16 and tried to do the half on a Saturday or Sunday once per week with one day of rest.  Took me about 6 weeks to be comfortable with that.  I did this through winter and did about half of the short and mid distance runs on a treadmill to get used to a pace that would keep me at no more than 2 hours for the half mar. Distance.

pace is key.  I found that the 17-21km mark was my wall and all mental.

fwiw I’m 6-1 190

Edited by riffraff

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Big win, today. 

Have had diarrhea the last 2 days, as well as all throughout today. Managed to do all my workout at the gym today, including heavy sets of squats, and DIDN’T sh*t myself.

3C8816DF-C471-4774-8778-2ACA624366A7.gif

If that clip represents your diarrhea that's some serious $&!#!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Monty said:

Big win, today. 

Have had diarrhea the last 2 days, as well as all throughout today. Managed to do all my workout at the gym today, including heavy sets of squats, and DIDN’T sh*t myself.

You you did squats with a Big D risk!?!?

you crazy!

:goat:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Monty said:

Big win, today. 

Way WAY TMI

Be careful - dehydration is a thing.   Sometimes listening to your body is important and it's less impressive to spread the potential germs than it is to sit out a day until you're feeling better.

11 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Dang I really picked the wrong day to read this thread while eating breakfast.

Right?  Me too...forgot that I'd come in here to say I'm setting up my little home station (again).  New step, free weights, yoga, etc.  The gym has become SO crowded and full of sweaty testosterone (went from a women only to coed)...this just confirms that home is where I need to do this stuff. 

LOL

Also...see a new trapeze type workout that's tweaked my interest.  Probably great core work...might give it a go.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Way WAY TMI

Be careful - dehydration is a thing.   Sometimes listening to your body is important and it's less impressive to spread the potential germs than it is to sit out a day until you're feeling better.

Been difficult to skip days. The last month, like everyone around me, I haven’t been 100%. Some days/weeks are better than others. So instead of 6 days a week working out, I’ve been 3-4 days. But I can’t skip a week entirely.

Skipping today, though.

• Upvote 1

I have been such a slug lately (two weeks?).

Going to be tough to get back to my proper level of engagement.

I jumped on exercise bike for 20 minutes yesterday then found going through a set of light squats a little too challenging.

Guess I'm looking for some cheerleaders  lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Been difficult to skip days. The last month, like everyone around me, I haven’t been 100%. Some days/weeks are better than others. So instead of 6 days a week working out, I’ve been 3-4 days. But I can’t skip a week entirely.

Skipping today, though.

Thing is...I get that, it gets to be borderline obsession.  But that can lead to eventual burnout too, so pace yourself.  You've got this.  

Skipping a week IS tough but sometimes it's totally necessary if the body is screaming for it.   

• Cheers 1

Just now, Shift-4 said:

I have been such a slug lately (two weeks?).

Going to be tough to get back to my proper level of engagement.

I jumped on exercise bike for 20 minutes yesterday then found going through a set of light squats a little too challenging.

Guess I'm looking for some cheerleaders  lol

GO SHIFTY!    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

That feeling at the gym when you see someone who you think is in better shape and can lift a lot more than you, because you’re used to what you used to be like, only to see them lifting A LOT less B)

Could be a rest week :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just back from first serious workout in what seems like a forever slug life indulgence.

Definite loss of strength. Might not like myself tomorrow.  lol

Try some pre and post workout supplements for the first month or two to get going

im using vegan products and they are helping “Vega” brand

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Try some pre and post workout supplements for the first month or two to get going

im using vegan products and they are helping “Vega” brand

I just go with coffee and proper over all nutrition. 

Just need to push past this first week after doing very little for at least two weeks.