The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

This Saturday was going to be my 1 year working out anniversary. Pretty bummed about not going to the gym. Going to have to get creative with working out at home and running outside (FU Manitoba weather).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HI5 said:

Whenever this virus ends my gym officially closed. 

Wrote all these down, going to try it out. Assuming I can do it all, aside from the handstand push-ups, this will have to do. I just hope it’s enough to keep my current gains at their current state.

My gym is still open. Fortunate that I will in a smaller community, though not too small, that can afford to have a first rate gym, but have members and staff that take pride and ownership in what they have. Everyone was already super cleanly before in wiping down machines, but everyone was doing their part today. It’s also not so busy that there’s ever more than 10 people in it at a given time (except the classes, so they’ll probably be cancelled), so keeping it clean for the members and staff isn’t too tall a task. They also have hospital grade disinfectant, so they’ve always gone above and beyond.

Hooray!

So, when I started working out last year, I was a pretty unhealthy 194lbs (5’11”). From July till December, I was between 173-175lbs. Now, after switching from circuit training with lower weight and higher reps, to heavier weights and lower reps, I’m now 180. 

It’s an odd place for me to wrap my head around. I’ve always done cardio my entire life up till last year. My lightest was 143lbs throughout university (2000-2004). So it’s strange to be gaining weight again. However, I know I’m not getting fat and that it’s muscle. Still strange, though.

• Like 2

20 minutes alternating stationary lunges (while watching Netflix)

5 x AMRAP for pushups

5 x AMRAP for tricep dips on edge of chair or sofa

5 x AMRAP resistance band bicep curls

5 x AMRAP resistance band overhead press

5 x AMRAP air squats

5 x AMRAP resistance band flung over closet door tricep push down

5 x AMRAP resistance band flung over closet door lat pull from kneeling position

Been doing this the last 3 days. Pretty great sweat (especially the 20 minutes of lunging consecutively - try it - it's a burner) and actually some good pumps.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:21 AM, HI5 said:

Any workout routine by Jeff Cavaliere is gonna be pretty grueling. Usually non stop and very intense, but highly effective.  Love his videos. 

And I'm thoroughly convinced that man does not own a single shirt. 

• Haha 1

Here is the workout for today - tabata style and all body weight so you can do it at home.

Pod 1 is stations 1-3, Pod 2 is 4-6, and Pod 3 is 7-9. Like the instructions say the timing is 20s work, 10s rest and 4 sets at each station - and you cycle thru the pod twice before taking a 1 minute break. Altogether there are 72 sets as you will do each station 8 times in total.

Stay healthy everyone!

workout 1.jpg

On 3/16/2020 at 8:21 AM, HI5 said:

Haven’t done the whole thing, as my gym is still open. However, I did try the handstand push-up. Couldn’t do it 5 months ago when I first tried.

Rocked out 5!!! That’s huge for me.

18 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I thinking about visiting fitness store to improve my home gym stuff. Just minor adds like resistant bands and little more weight

I just talked to my wife about this. Birthday is 2 months away. Going to pivot away from getting a Sous Vide and buy some stuff.

19 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

20 minutes alternating stationary lunges (while watching Netflix)

I don’t know if I could do that.

The Netflix, on the other hand.

18 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Any workout routine by Jeff Cavaliere is gonna be pretty grueling. Usually non stop and very intense, but highly effective.  Love his videos. 

And I'm thoroughly convinced that man does not own a single shirt

:lol: 

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

Gym officially closed today. My father has about $1000 worth of weights in dumbbells, barbells, and a bench that he just gave me today, as he hasn’t used it in about 20 years. 

can you PM me some dumbbells? 30lbs and up please

Well, first full workout at home with "new" equipment. Aside for my chin-up exercise, which was makeshift, it went as well as it could have gone. The dumbbell rack I got from my father is first rate. Such a good one. The weights, too. Those will all do really well. The bench I got is also good, will work fine.

However, the barbbell is pretty weak. It will work for now, but assuming this lasts for months and months and months, I'll have to invest in a good barbbell and weights. In May, I'll probably divert my personal spending fund (birthday money) to get a squat rack with the barbbell and weights. Once I have that, I really don't think I'll need to go back to the gym for a long, long time. I'll have everything I need. I could invest in a chin up bar as well, but depending on the quality of of squat rack I get, it may have one already on it.

Tomorrow is my 1 year working out consistenly anniversary. I've never, in my life, been this commited to fitness. The longest was something like 9 months when I was 17-18. Pure cardio.

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2020 at 9:32 AM, Monty said:

Wrote all these down, going to try it out. Assuming I can do it all, aside from the handstand push-ups, this will have to do. I just hope it’s enough to keep my current gains at their current state.

Just take screenshots at the end of his video, he lists them all at the end.

Its a good change up and challenge from my normal routines. Had my sweating and grimacing as if I’d have popped some molly. 

• Cheers 1