Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#1 Vancouver Canucks 30

Vancouver Canucks 30

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

With Roberto Luongo's play in Games 1 and 2 of this series, Cory Schneider's in games 3 and 4, and Vancouver's inability to trade Luongo for a calendar year, does the goalie situation change in Vancouver?

Vancouver could certainly acquire more for Cory Schneider than Roberto Luongo in a trade as Schneider, unlike Luongo, has a cap friendly short-term contract and is 27 years old.

As we saw at the trade deadline, the Canucks are not going to acquire more than a couple mid-round picks for Luongo and may even have to eat some of his contract in order to trade him. Trading Schneider may, however, kick start a rebuild as Vancouver may be able to acquire some younger assets to help in other areas of need. Namely, secondary scoring and on defense.

In addition, Vancouver has 2 young goaltenders in Eddie Lack and Joe Cannata who can be brought along in a similar fashion to Schneider playing behind and learning from Luongo.

In order for this to occur however, any bad feelings and ill will from the year long Luongo trade saga would have to be resolved, which will be easier said then done.

Then again, it looks more and more like Vancouer will make serious management and/or coaching changes in the off-season which may result in Luongo recommitting to Vancouver for the duration of his contract under a new regime.

So what is the ideal scenario?

Move forward with Luongo and kick-start a rebuild by trading Schneider? Or trade Luongo for spare parts and hope the obvious short comings in the lineup can be filled by other means as a Luongo trade return will likely be minimal?

Edited by SSM30, 07 May 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#2 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

POPULAR

Schneider is the better goalie,younger,cheaper.

#3 CaptainKool

CaptainKool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

POPULAR

I would just say, this game tells the Lou haters or the Cory lovers that it is not easy to be a goalie, especially behind a team who play like crap. Its just a bad day for Cory, worst decision by AV, and suck it Lou haters.

#4 vancityvi11an

vancityvi11an

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

dont get me wrong, i want the canucks to win. but honestly... i cannot wait till we trade either lu or schneids. ive had enough of this soap opera. i believe its ???? with our playoff chi.

#5 Zuongo

Zuongo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Oh shut up.

#6 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

No but it might change the coach

Edited by Noheart, 05 May 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#7 ro0

ro0

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Schneider is the better goalie,younger,cheaper.

I don't think he's necessarily better, and if he is the margin is razor thin.

Cory is younger, cheaper sure which makes him much much more tradable

Is she a dress wearer or a pants wearer? Could you share a rowboat? Could a rowboat support her? Would an average size rowboat support her without capsizing?

#8 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Nope. Simple as that

#9 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

POPULAR

I would just say, this game tells the Lou haters or the Cory lovers that it is not easy to be a goalie, especially behind a team who play like crap. Its just a bad day for Cory, worst decision by AV, and suck it Lou haters.

100% agree. I don't understand what AV was thinking playing a guy who hasn't played in 13 games over a guy who has been the best player on the ice for the canucks.

#10 vancouverdepression

vancouverdepression

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

POPULAR

Trade Schneider, this team needs offfffffffense!!!! Luongo can handle goalie duties for at least 4 more years while Lack backs him up.... FIRE AV AND MG first....

#11 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

One of AV's worse decisions ever.....peewee hockey mindset.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#12 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

I don't think so. Who knows what the mob thinks. :blink:
Posted Image

#13 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Need to rebuild... Not that the team isn't good enough, but the core is not playing with heart any more. The organization needs a new face, time for the Sedins to say goodbye or fall into a smaller role.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

:picard:

307mg00.jpg

#15 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

POPULAR

Schneider is simply not a big-game proven goalie in the playoffs. Luongo is.
Schneider doesn't have the experience in big pressure moments. Luongo does.
Schneider hasn't won anything of any significance at the highest level. Luongo has.

I don't care how Schneider plays during the regular season, but he's got 1 playoff victory in about 5 games played. The Canucks don't have the time to sit back and watch Schneider develop and grow playoff experience through multiple losses the way Luongo has. We have to win NOW, and Luongo gives us that chance - not Schneider.

We don't necessarily have to trade Schneider, but we can't trade Luongo right now and rely on Schneider. Either way, this team needs Luongo or they're not making the playoffs next season - mark my words. He's been the best Canuck of the playoffs and the only one who's decided to show up. That has to count for something in MG's books - no one else deserves a roster spot on this team more than Luongo.
Posted Image

#16 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Schneider is still the starter.

Luongo is the better decision in this series. He's been solid in Game 1 and 2, and has a feel for the Sharks. You can't throw Schneider in a series down 2-0 and expect him to the weather the storm against a team he hasn't done particularly well against. He hadn't even played for half a month.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#17 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

POPULAR

5chnieder is not ready. not battle tested for high pressure

trade him in the summer, keep lui.
Posted Image

#18 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

I suspect Schnieder would bounce back if put in - he's generally too calm and cool to let this loss get into his head. But if AV is going to play the player that 'give his team the best chance to win' - then from what we've seen it has to be Luongo...

But does it really matter? We're pretty much playing against the Sharks without the vast majority of our players showing up or showing and level of desire to win.

#19 FanInCalgary

FanInCalgary

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

POPULAR

Schneider is simply not a big-game proven goalie in the playoffs. Luongo is.
Schneider doesn't have the experience in big pressure moments. Luongo does.
Schneider hasn't won anything of any significance at the highest level. Luongo has.

I don't care how Schneider plays during the regular season, but he's got 1 playoff victory in about 5 games played. The Canucks don't have the time to sit back and watch Schneider develop and grow playoff experience through multiple losses the way Luongo has. We have to win NOW, and Luongo gives us that chance - not Schneider.

We don't necessarily have to trade Schneider, but we can't trade Luongo right now and rely on Schneider. Either way, this team needs Luongo or they're not making the playoffs next season - mark my words. He's been the best Canuck of the playoffs and the only one who's decided to show up. That has to count for something in MG's books - no one else deserves a roster spot on this team more than Luongo.

Lu has lost his last five playoff games.

Choosing to stick with Luongo instead of Schneider solely based on the fact that he has gone to the cup finals before seems like a stupid reason. Schneids had better stats than him for the past two years (I know he didn't play much last year) so I'd say we go with him. He will only get better while Lu will get worse.

#20 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Nope Schneider is a bit rusty. And he's younger and cheeper and before the playoffs he was on fire.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#21 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Another stupid decision by AV to play Schneider over Luongo. See ya you bubble gum chewing idiot.

Posted Image

#22 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I sure as hell hope not. You can't decide his fate on 1 game. And he had no help
Posted Image

#23 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Which goalie is better? schneider is definitely the better technical goalie of the 2.. but Luongo is the better reactionary goalie hence he has the game changing element to his game for better or worse.. Schneider is good on most night.. but Luongo can be avg one night and then god mode the next night.. but which goalie to trade?? CDC would want Luongo to be traded for a sack of puck.. but if we were to rebuild we should be considering trading Schneider instead.. Schneider will fetch a better return for non rentals/higher picks.. we ain't going to be a contender for years to come anyways.. so in 3yrs time Schneider might take the free agent route and leave anyways.. but at the same time i feel sorry for Luongo if they decide to keep him coz there goes any chance of him ever winning the cup if he's stuck on vancouver.

#24 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Schneider is still younger, cheaper, more consistent, more cool-headed, less prone to put his foot in his mouth and, lets face it, he's been outplaying Luongo ever since he got here a couple seasons ago. We all knew it was a risk tonight putting him in when he hadn't seen any action in 13 days...and it bit us in the arse.

#25 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Schneider is still the starter.

Luongo is the better decision in this series. He's been solid in Game 1 and 2, and has a feel for the Sharks. You can't throw Schneider in a series down 2-0 and expect him to the weather the storm against a team he hasn't done particularly well against. He hadn't even played for half a month.

Well you could say the same thing about Luongo. He did not play for a whole month until the last couple games of the regular season.

#26 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Nope. Not one bit. I am disapointed in his play tonight but they've made their decision there is no turning back. This whole goalie crap should of been settle a long time ago MG just set himself up for more controversy now. Lets face it Cory hasn't played in 2 weeks and his true health status is unknown. I doubt it matters in the end we simply can't score.

#27 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Lu has lost his last five playoff games.

Choosing to stick with Luongo instead of Schneider solely based on the fact that he has gone to the cup finals before seems like a stupid reason. Schneids had better stats than him for the past two years (I know he didn't play much last year) so I'd say we go with him. He will only get better while Lu will get worse.

We're not choosing Luongo because of 2011. It is clear that Luongo was one of our best players in Game 1 and 2 and Schneider is just coming off injury/sickness, maybe not even healthy yet.

That's why AV should've stuck with Luongo but he's an idiot.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#28 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Unless gillis has horseshoes up his rear and pulls out a huge offseason you would have to think Schneider nets us better value. But after this season I have no idea what to expect and am hoping everything is what it is because of a weird year and it is all rainbows and gumdrops after this.
Posted Image

#29 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Actually the more I think about it

If the extreme happens and both AV and MG are fired, it's basically a clean slate for the organization.

If someone new comes in anything can happen

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#30 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Nope. Schneider is our guy.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.