The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

With Roberto Luongo's play in Games 1 and 2 of this series, Cory Schneider's in games 3 and 4, and Vancouver's inability to trade Luongo for a calendar year, does the goalie situation change in Vancouver?

Vancouver could certainly acquire more for Cory Schneider than Roberto Luongo in a trade as Schneider, unlike Luongo, has a cap friendly short-term contract and is 27 years old.

As we saw at the trade deadline, the Canucks are not going to acquire more than a couple mid-round picks for Luongo and may even have to eat some of his contract in order to trade him. Trading Schneider may, however, kick start a rebuild as Vancouver may be able to acquire some younger assets to help in other areas of need. Namely, secondary scoring and on defense.

In addition, Vancouver has 2 young goaltenders in Eddie Lack and Joe Cannata who can be brought along in a similar fashion to Schneider playing behind and learning from Luongo.

In order for this to occur however, any bad feelings and ill will from the year long Luongo trade saga would have to be resolved, which will be easier said then done.

Then again, it looks more and more like Vancouer will make serious management and/or coaching changes in the off-season which may result in Luongo recommitting to Vancouver for the duration of his contract under a new regime.

So what is the ideal scenario?

Move forward with Luongo and kick-start a rebuild by trading Schneider? Or trade Luongo for spare parts and hope the obvious short comings in the lineup can be filled by other means as a Luongo trade return will likely be minimal?

I would just say, this game tells the Lou haters or the Cory lovers that it is not easy to be a goalie, especially behind a team who play like crap. Its just a bad day for Cory, worst decision by AV, and suck it Lou haters.

I would just say, this game tells the Lou haters or the Cory lovers that it is not easy to be a goalie, especially behind a team who play like crap. Its just a bad day for Cory, worst decision by AV, and suck it Lou haters.

Schneider is simply not a big-game proven goalie in the playoffs. Luongo is.

Schneider doesn't have the experience in big pressure moments. Luongo does.

Schneider hasn't won anything of any significance at the highest level. Luongo has.

I don't care how Schneider plays during the regular season, but he's got 1 playoff victory in about 5 games played. The Canucks don't have the time to sit back and watch Schneider develop and grow playoff experience through multiple losses the way Luongo has. We have to win NOW, and Luongo gives us that chance - not Schneider.

We don't necessarily have to trade Schneider, but we can't trade Luongo right now and rely on Schneider. Either way, this team needs Luongo or they're not making the playoffs next season - mark my words. He's been the best Canuck of the playoffs and the only one who's decided to show up. That has to count for something in MG's books - no one else deserves a roster spot on this team more than Luongo.

Schneider is still the starter.

Luongo is the better decision in this series. He's been solid in Game 1 and 2, and has a feel for the Sharks. You can't throw Schneider in a series down 2-0 and expect him to the weather the storm against a team he hasn't done particularly well against. He hadn't even played for half a month.

I suspect Schnieder would bounce back if put in - he's generally too calm and cool to let this loss get into his head. But if AV is going to play the player that 'give his team the best chance to win' - then from what we've seen it has to be Luongo...

But does it really matter? We're pretty much playing against the Sharks without the vast majority of our players showing up or showing and level of desire to win.

Schneider is simply not a big-game proven goalie in the playoffs. Luongo is.

Schneider doesn't have the experience in big pressure moments. Luongo does.

Schneider hasn't won anything of any significance at the highest level. Luongo has.

I don't care how Schneider plays during the regular season, but he's got 1 playoff victory in about 5 games played. The Canucks don't have the time to sit back and watch Schneider develop and grow playoff experience through multiple losses the way Luongo has. We have to win NOW, and Luongo gives us that chance - not Schneider.

We don't necessarily have to trade Schneider, but we can't trade Luongo right now and rely on Schneider. Either way, this team needs Luongo or they're not making the playoffs next season - mark my words. He's been the best Canuck of the playoffs and the only one who's decided to show up. That has to count for something in MG's books - no one else deserves a roster spot on this team more than Luongo.

Archived