The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

Which players are the most promising NHL prospects that we should be keeping an eye on next year?

Hard to say depending who will be on the Nucks, but my list goes:

On D:

Henrik Tommernes: He's a smooth skating offensive defenseman who loves to jump up in the play and shoot. He was a top D-man that ran the powerplay for Frolunda in the SEL, so he just needs to adjust to the more physical North American game.

Peter Andersson: A big smooth skating Swede who is more of a stay-at-home defenseman that uses excelent position to make safe plays out of his zone. He started developing more of an offensive game last season before he was injured.

On Forward:

Nicklas Jensen: Big Danish kid that skates well, can stick handle, and has a wicked wrister. He's not afraid to use the body either. I would imagine he'll start the year in Utica to get his confidence going. He's probably the top prospect in our system right now.

Darren Archibald: Big mean winger with underrated skill. Loves to finish checks and mix it up. The only thing holding him back right now is his skating and his consistency. But for a team that needs role players like him, it may not be long before he gets a look.

Alexandre Grenier: Another big skilled winger that can skate. He was put on the fast track for development by going to the Austrian league this season where he put up good numbers for a rookie. And then he went to the ECHL where he won rookie of the year for the K-Wings. He should take another big step this season as he gets used to the physical game of the AHL.

Ludwig Blomstrand: One of the fastest skaters I've seen in the AHL since I watched Grabner play. He has effortless skating and is fearless when he drives to the net. He has limitted offensive upside, but is fun to watch just beause of his skating. I can see him being a solid role player in the NHL in the future.

Most of good young players should be on the team because that's the route this team needs to go. But the team should still be exciting to watch. They'll have alot of speed and size, and will hopefully play a more up tempo style than last season.

utica_aud1f302f80-90a6-4195-8538-2a9a51aaa896.jpg

Newspaper reports keep making it out to be a dump. Trust me it's a fine old barn.

Thanks for that. Not half bad at all.

I think some NHL expansion teams that came into the league the last go around played in barns that didn't look as good as this one.

Btw, that ceiling kind of reminds me of the Madison Square Gardens, pre-reno.

Which players are the most promising NHL prospects that we should be keeping an eye on next year?

I'm definitely excited to see what Henrik Tommernes can do in North America. I've never seen him play, only have the scouting reports to go on... so it'll be interesting to see where he fits in, whether it'll be an adjustment season for him or if he'll excel due to his age and experience. Also, Mallet and Grenier should both finally get a regular spot in the lineup thanks to the Canucks owning the AHL team this year, which means we'll get to see how they perform when getting consistent ice time.

me neither, now i don't want them to leave :P

Just seeing the Canucks colours and how excited Utica is to have a team again is awesome.

They really feel like part of the Canucks

i love how they literally took a canucks jersey and just changed the logo. they didn't even bother removing the NHL crest in the neckline :P

Almost half the AHL has a shoulder crest that ties the jerseys to the NHL affiliate: Rockford, Binghamton, Charlotte, Abbotsford, etc

Almost half the AHL has a shoulder crest that ties the jerseys to the NHL affiliate: Rockford, Binghamton, Charlotte, Abbotsford, etc

yeah, i know. but this is literally a canucks jersey with the logo swapped (NHL emblem and all). in the real jerseys that will not be there, and the AHL logo will be added.

Archived