The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

? Trading Schneider instead

I know this has been suggested in other posts but I really think this should be looked at seriously. It would still keep us competitive as Loungo is still a great goalie and we have Lack coming up. Plus Schneider would give plenty more for the future.

As to where Schneider would go: NYI, Toronto still need a goalie. I prefer New York as they have more assets that fit our needs.

to NYI: Schneider, Van 4th round 2014 (or some other pick)

to Van: Neiderreiter, Matt Martin, Nilsson, NYI 1st round 2013 (#15), 2nd round 2014

Martin fills a need on the 4th line (and fits Gillis' vision), Nino is disgruntled in NYI and has sniper potential. Nilsson adds another promising young goalie to compete with Lack. And the picks stock our cupboards

I still say trading Edler to philly for Couturier is realistic and a good fit for both teams. Maybe a swap of our first rounders as Edler has more immediate impact and is signed to a long term reasonable contract. This would give us pick #11 instead of #24.

What do you think?

Open to debate.

I'll say first off I have been a bigger fan of trading Schneider than Luongo since the beginning. By the time Lack is ready Luongo will be 37 or 38 and in the last year of his weird trade me wherever clause in his contract. I think you're reaching way to far though in that trade. The ONLY way a NYI deal gets done is with Dipietro coming back. So it would be Schnieder + and possibly + again for that package, but you take away Nilsson and add Brock or DeHaan. If Schnieder is on the block though I am aggressively pursuing Florida or Colorado instead. But the end result is who gets you the best deal and who will win you the most games. luongo is proven, that cap hit is ugly and Schnieder might garner the better return. So I am all for trading him.

MG's already screwed it up to the point where that's no longer an option.

Though if we traded Schneider we would get a far better return which would give us a better overall team than we would have from trading Lu for scraps.

This is why MG needs to go. Bring in a new GM before MG trades Lu for Dipietro and a 5th or something like that. Maybe someone else can clean up MG's mess.

I'll say first off I have been a bigger fan of trading Schneider than Luongo since the beginning. By the time Lack is ready Luongo will be 37 or 38 and in the last year of his weird trade me wherever clause in his contract. I think you're reaching way to far though in that trade. The ONLY way a NYI deal gets done is with Dipietro coming back. So it would be Schnieder + and possibly + again for that package, but you take away Nilsson and add Brock or DeHaan. If Schnieder is on the block though I am aggressively pursuing Florida or Colorado instead. But the end result is who gets you the best deal and who will win you the most games. luongo is proven, that cap hit is ugly and Schnieder might garner the better return. So I am all for trading him.

Unfortunately I do agree with some of your points. And if NYI are really going to demand Dipietro be involved in any trade, than we should look elsewhere. Because that is silly for them to to that. After all, it is their mess. We have a messy unwanted contract with Lou, but at least he is still a productive goalie ;)

Unfortunately I do agree with some of your points. And if NYI are really going to demand Dipietro be involved in any trade, than we should look elsewhere. Because that is silly for them to to that. After all, it is their mess. We have a messy unwanted contract with Lou, but at least he is still a productive goalie ;)

this has been discussed to death. instead of making an entirely new thread about it you can just go back a couple pages and theres a very extensive discussion on it.

but Luongo wont stay here. after the way he was treated and everything that happened there is no chance he is staying. he already put his condo down town up for sale and im pretty sure he's not planning on getting another house in vancouver.

I think if a significant enough offer had already been proposed to Gillis, he would have pulled the trigger - regardless of who's perceived as our starter or backup. Not to say someone won't propose something good enough to consider it, but then someone could also propose a better deal for Luongo.

If it was truly that easy to just trade Schneider then it would have happened already.

Archived