The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey in Utica....again

Utica Fan

I posted this comment on the Comet's fan club face book page and after I posted it, I thought I would share it here with you. Feel free to post your opinions.

Being a new year, I thought it would be interesting to post some opinions, from the fans point of view, on what you would like to see the Comet's accomplish, in their inaugural season, by their last game. Here is my "I'd like to see list".

I'd like to see the Comet's:

Finish with at least a .500 record.

Finish above, at least, 3 other teams in points so as to not finish in last place.

Have at least 1 Comet player finish in the top 10 of any category.

For the fans, I'd like to see the Comets finish AHEAD of, at least, 6 or 7 other "established" franchises in attendance, especially Albany. Why? For 2 reasons: The Devils left Utica because of attendance and to prove the nay-Sayers wrong, that AHL hockey CAN work in Utica.

Those are my hopes for a successful season. What's yours?

At this point I'm just hoping we finish ahead of at least 1 team once the season is over. Couple weeks ago thought they had a chance to finish at .500, but that is not going to happen.

I'm going to support and cheer for them the rest of the year, and hope for some wins. Right now looks very bleak. Loss in OKC was a killer. Just seems like Cannata can't make that one extra save to win a game.

The blame can't rest only on the goalie, it takes a team to win and a team to lose. We need MORE goals from the forwards. We need the D to STAND UP and keep the other team from getting in front. When all else fails, we need the goaltender to make the BIG save when it counts. Right now, the Comets lack ALL 3.

The Comets ARE a good team, when they want to be. Right now, they cant score. Where is the offence? The D is good, when they want to be. Right now, we CAN'T hold 1 goal leads. Goaltending is VERY suspect. Right now, Cannata is stellar in net 1 game and lets in 10 over the next 2 games.

Right now, they are being outplayed, outscored and outmatched by teams they SHOULD be beating, on paper of course. Right now, the Comets need leadership on the ice, which I don't see. Right now, they are back to playing the same hockey that put them at the bottom of the standings to begin with.

Right now, someone better light a fire under their a%#es before this season implodes on them. I'm just not sure who has the ba%&s to do it. Anybody out there have any ideas on which prospect or veteran may stand up and say ENOUGH! I know these guys are trying their hardest to play for Vancouver, but they need to remember that they also have to play for Utica.

They need it, RIGHT NOW!!!

The blame can't rest only on the goalie, it takes a team to win and a team to lose. We need MORE goals from the forwards. We need the D to STAND UP and keep the other team from getting in front. When all else fails, we need the goaltender to make the BIG save when it counts. Right now, the Comets lack ALL 3.

The Comets ARE a good team, when they want to be. Right now, they cant score. Where is the offence? The D is good, when they want to be. Right now, we CAN'T hold 1 goal leads. Goaltending is VERY suspect. Right now, Cannata is stellar in net 1 game and lets in 10 over the next 2 games.

Right now, they are being outplayed, outscored and outmatched by teams they SHOULD be beating, on paper of course. Right now, the Comets need leadership on the ice, which I don't see. Right now, they are back to playing the same hockey that put them at the bottom of the standings to begin with.

Right now, someone better light a fire under their a%#es before this season implodes on them. I'm just not sure who has the ba%&s to do it. Anybody out there have any ideas on which prospect or veteran may stand up and say ENOUGH! I know these guys are trying their hardest to play for Vancouver, but they need to remember that they also have to play for Utica.

This is where being a Canucks fan and Comets fans melds both together. You as a Comets fan have to trust Vancouver's management and ownership to build a strong team in Utica for the strength of the mother club. You don't want to see Vancouver trading all their draft picks away.

From my angle I see Vancouver having a commitment to developing young big players. Utica fans have to remember that takes time. On the flip side it should be noted that Vancouver went out, bought a club, moved it,renovated an ice rink, then stocked the team during this past off season. That's a lot of work in a very short period of time. Try and put the picture in a wider perspective of several seasons. It will be easier to see and understand.

This will take a few years. This club has come a long way in a short time and I for one am very excited to watch Utica hockey grow. They couldn't have a better mother franchise loaded with spending freedom.

Hang in there.:)

Vancouver doesn't have a strong prospect pool at the pro level right now and being the first season I wouldn't worry to much. I know it's frustrating seeing you're home team lose close games and be near the bottom of the league but be patient and trust the process. It's a first year AHL coach, he was an assistant/interim head coach in the WHL last season. And it's a first year franchise with a bottom 10 prospect pool.

Down the stretch I'm sure they'll get better with Eriksson coming back to the net soon and with NCAA season ending in a few months as well as junior prospects having their season end early. It may be too late to do anything in the standing by that time but next year will be a lot brighter for Utica for sure.

I guess PATIENCE is in order. Sorry to vent, just very frustrating watching a team that has all the tools to succeed, fail. I know they through this team together, quickly, and I am very grateful for that. I just wish someone on this team would actually stand up and be a leader. I just don't see any emotion, from anyone, when they lose, especially in that collapse against OKC.

I am 100% behind them, win or lose. I just hope they stay in Utica long enough for us to see the "bright future" come to reality.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a post from Comets web page:

The Utica Comets and the Save of the Day have announced their final donation of $35,752.87 to the Breast Care Center at Faxton St. Luke’s Healthcare from ‘Pink the Rink’ night on Jan. 31.

“It truly was a terrific night filled with excitement and giving towards a great cause,” said Utica Comets President Robert Esche. “Our area never ceases to amaze me on its ability to donate so generously to local institutions. It’s very rewarding to see people come together from a player level, staff level, and most importantly a community level. I thank everyone who was involved, and know that ‘Pink the Rink’ night has become a staple of not only the Utica Comets, but of the City of Utica and the community as a family.”

The Comets collected money through a 2013-14 American Hockey League record 50/50 purse and the round up the rink promotion. Fans also had the option to round up their change to the next dollar as donations as part of the round up the rink promotion.

The post game jersey auction, that saw the special pink uniforms sold for as high as $4,500, also contributed to the donation. Each player’s jersey was sold to fans via a live auction following the conclusion of the game.

Prior to Saturday’s game against the Rochester Americans the Comets will host a special pre-game ceremony and check presentation to the Breast Care Center at Faxton St. Luke’s Healthcare.

Hey, has ANYONE heard from Willage? I had some info to pass along to him. If your out there Willage, here's how Utica and Peoria rank at the halfway point.:

Peoria has 44 points Utica has 43

Peoria average attendance: 3364 Utica:3331

Peoria sits in 5th place, so does Utica (division)

Utica is keeping pace with the "Glorified" Peoria

I thought your team would have clinched 1st place and home ice by now.

I guess PATIENCE is in order. Sorry to vent, just very frustrating watching a team that has all the tools to succeed, fail. I know they through this team together, quickly, and I am very grateful for that. I just wish someone on this team would actually stand up and be a leader. I just don't see any emotion, from anyone, when they lose, especially in that collapse against OKC.

I am 100% behind them, win or lose. I just hope they stay in Utica long enough for us to see the "bright future" come to reality.

next year should be a good one for utica i would think with the likes of gaunce, fox, shinkaruk, kenins joining the forward group that is a lot of highend scoring talent potentially being added.

nice to see the fans supporting this team not only in attendance but by embracing them and allowing them to be a big part of the community like that breast cancer fundraiser. Great to see the farm team have that kind of support and community involvement since it embodies what the canucks family is all about.

The attendance has been overwhelming. We have seen 7 sellouts, with the 8th expected against Rochester next week. When not sold out, it's very near to capacity, usually weeknight games. Utica has responded in a huge way, accepting and supporting the Canucks affiliate. I hope we can keep them here for many more years.

The attendance has been overwhelming. We have seen 7 sellouts, with the 8th expected against Rochester next week. When not sold out, it's very near to capacity, usually weeknight games. Utica has responded in a huge way, accepting and supporting the Canucks affiliate. I hope we can keep them here for many more years.

How's the promotional work going off ice. Rado, TV, two for ones, or corporations picking up on it. I guess I'm asking is the community as a whole invested in the team

Wow, where do I begin? I can't say enough about the reception of the Comets here in Utica. It seems like there are promotions for just about EVERY game. The Comets recently offered a "win and your in" event 2 weeks ago. If the Comets won the game (Tuesday night game) then ALL fans would receive a voucher for a FREE ticket to the next home game....they won! They also offer $2 beer nights (Labatt's) for weeknight games. The 50/50 drawings are HUGE, in the 6K to 10K range for EVERY GAME. The Comets offer a great ticket deal for groups of 10 or more. You can get a $15 ticket for $12.The Comets return the favor by getting out in the community. It seems like they are somewhere all the time, signing autographs and helping with charity functions. They really support the local youth hockey programs too. Some of the players even show up to practice with the kids.

The attendance has been awesome, as I mentioned above. We are leading 5 other cities in attendance despite our capacity

The only drawback is some local biased media. It seems our local ESPN affiliate STILL believes the Comets interfere with their beloved college hockey team. The Utica College men's hockey team STILL plays to sold out or near capacity crowds. They (radio hosts) just don't give the Comets the coverage they deserve. But, it's ESPN, what else can you expect when it comes to pro hockey?

I encourage all of you to check out the Comets face book page. That shows exactly what's going on with the Comets in our area. I think this 1st season has exceeded everyone's expectations.

It's not about the size of the building, it's the fans in it that count. lol :). The capacity is just under 3900, but considering that some other arenas (Albany 15,000) with larger capacities draw LESS than Utica. What good is a 15,000 seat arena if you draw less than 3000? Funny, the Devils left Utica back in 93, to head for that larger arena in Albany.

The Aud may be small, but it's loud. There are NO bad seats in the building and you are, literally, right on top of the ice. And, you really can't beat the ticket prices either. I mean, $15 for an AHL game. That's a bargain compared to what I hear other venues charge for the same competition.

As for the Utica College Pioneers, they ARE the reason why, I believe, Utica got another shot at the AHL. They are a Division 3 college that just blew away everyone's expectations with attendance. They WERE the only hockey program that WORKED for the Aud. It was the ONLY college program that was able to sell beer at their games. As they got better, the attendance skyrocketed. The program became so popular, that they had to start selling season tickets. Today, they lead the nation in attendance and are nationally ranked as well. I have yet to see a game with the attendance not at or near capacity. I think that the AHL noticed this and said "why not Utica".

In fact, Utica was chosen recently, to host the D3 Frozen Four championship. I believe that will be in 2015. Check out the Utica College Pioneer hockey webpage for more info

It's not about the size of the building, it's the fans in it that count. lol :). The capacity is just under 3900, but considering that some other arenas (Albany 15,000) with larger capacities draw LESS than Utica. What good is a 15,000 seat arena if you draw less than 3000? Funny, the Devils left Utica back in 93, to head for that larger arena in Albany.

The Aud may be small, but it's loud. There are NO bad seats in the building and you are, literally, right on top of the ice. And, you really can't beat the ticket prices either. I mean, $15 for an AHL game. That's a bargain compared to what I hear other venues charge for the same competition.

As for the Utica College Pioneers, they ARE the reason why, I believe, Utica got another shot at the AHL. They are a Division 3 college that just blew away everyone's expectations with attendance. They WERE the only hockey program that WORKED for the Aud. It was the ONLY college program that was able to sell beer at their games. As they got better, the attendance skyrocketed. The program became so popular, that they had to start selling season tickets. Today, they lead the nation in attendance and are nationally ranked as well. I have yet to see a game with the attendance not at or near capacity. I think that the AHL noticed this and said "why not Utica".

In fact, Utica was chosen recently, to host the D3 Frozen Four championship. I believe that will be in 2015. Check out the Utica College Pioneer hockey webpage for more info

But man D3 ! .....D3 I can't believe they can garner any fans never mind fill the building :lol:

Nothing like an empty building to turn off fans. We have a similar situation with out football team in the CFL...big building a beautifull building but half full

I forgot to mention that there is a difference between UC and Comets crowds. When the Pioneers play, the building is filled with UC students. Man, when they get going, the building comes alive. Yes, there is the adult hockey crowd to round out capacity, but the students make the Aud roar. Opposing teams feel the heat too. It's intimidating for some of these teams to play in front of such huge crowds.

For those of you that might be interested (I mean, it is hockey), check out the Utica College Pioneers Hockey website.There is some really good stories and news about this years team. It will give you some insight about the "other team" that fills the Aud when the Comets are away. The Aud is filled every weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived