The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Kassian benefit from spending time in the AHL?

Junkyard Dog

The players that thrive under Torts are the two way players who are stronger on defense than offense......the Hansens, Callahans, kesler etc. He employs a defensive philosophy and we're starting to see that emerge.........he's not a coach that will let offensive creativity and talent shine. Now, I don't think that's a bad thing, but it does squash the skill development of the younger players, imo.

The players that thrive under Torts are the two way players who are stronger on defense than offense......the Hansens, Callahans, kesler etc. He employs a defensive philosophy and we're starting to see that emerge.........he's not a coach that will let offensive creativity and talent shine. Now, I don't think that's a bad thing, but it does squash the skill development of the younger players, imo.

What I've noticed so far:

Kassian isn't a puck retriever like Hansen or Kesler or Burrows (yet). It's part of the game he needs to keep working on to get better at just like the latter players. So, a dump and chase game isn't really suited for him. With that said, he would do much better with linemates like Kesler, Burrows, or Hansen where puck retrieval isn't as much an issue. With Booth and Schroeder it's hard to say but I'm all for giving that line some time to see what they can do.

His strong suits are protecting the puck- especially down low and having good vison and passing. That's talent that's hard to teach. Just stick with him and he'll keep getting better. Only 22 people. Give the kid time. If he can play a solid third or second line role that is gravy.

Found this earlier this morning, thought the quotes were interesting.

ttp://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679527

From Gillis back in August ..,

"Zack is a unique package," general manager Mike Gillis said. "He is big, strong, he fights and he's got talent. And they are hard players to get and hard players to find and hard players to develop."

Also went on to say ...

"I have really high expectations of Zack," Gillis said.

Since expectations are so high and Gillis openly says guys like Kassian are hard to develop, it's doubtful you'll see him in the AHL by the sound of things from their perspective.

That also speaks to why it may seem like he's getting a free ride. They guy came over in a trade and expectations are high that he contributes sooner rather than later. But it also seems like Gillis knows he needs to be patient with the hard to develop comment.

Makes no sense to send him down given the circumstances. The guy just needs time as a regular - no suspensions, no short seasons, no injuries. After seeing him again last night against Philly, I think he'll definitely find his groove.

contributes sooner rather than later. But it also seems like Gillis knows he needs to be patient with the hard to develop comment.

Makes no sense to send him down given the circumstances. The guy just needs time as a regular - no suspensions, no short seasons, no injuries. After seeing him again last night against Philly, I think he'll definitely find his groove.

Yep. Another full season (hopefully) playing a regular shift will only help him. What I think we will see is flashes of his offense as that part of the game takes time to develop consistency. What I'd like to see him do regularly is a physical style of game. Doesn't have to drive everyone through the boards but just make other players notice he is out there.

he was good last night, bordering on very good. he was strong on the puck, played physical, fought and made some excellent passes in the offensive zone. I really hope Torterella sees what a good playmaker he is and grooms him for that role, but I'm not holding out hope as JT doesn't have much of an eye for actual talent.

Archived