The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Making a decision due to false information.

zombieksa

So interesting story received an email from a professor today stating that I received an 8% on a midterm worth 30% of my grade. He stated that it was, in his opinion, smart for me to drop the course as it would be very difficult to pass the class with the remaining course work available. He assumed it would be better if I got some of my course money back instead of trying and likely failing the course. I knew I hadn't done fantastic in the exam but this email took me by surprise and turned me into an absolute wreck for the next few hours as I am in my last semester in university and did not want to come back for one course in January.

I had my mouse on the "drop course" button and at the last second decided to wait the day out and see my exam as he was letting us look at them in class today.

There were two David C.'s in the class. I didn't get 8%, I didn't even fail the exam, not even close. He emailed the incorrect student. If I had dropped the course there would have been no going back.

So my question to you is whether or not you have made a rash decision only to find out that the information that made you make that decision was incorrect?

repeatedly. This leads to that major life hurdle we call regret, which leads to what ifs which leads hopefully to acceptance and then letting go and moving on (See Schneider/Hodgson trade threads)

In your case you're quite lucky. Life presents us all these fun moments in which it sneaks into your shower and takes you roughly from behind at a vulnerable moment when you think it is all going so right nothing could go wrong, or when you think things couldn't get worse.

In your case, I would politely e-mail the Prof and let him/her know how close they made you come to basically throwing a semester or entire course away via a wrong address.

In life we rarely get such chances. But good for you for sticking it out, imagine the thread you'd have created had you clicked that button

repeatedly. This leads to that major life hurdle we call regret, which leads to what ifs which leads hopefully to acceptance and then letting go and moving on (See Schneider/Hodgson trade threads)

In your case you're quite lucky. Life presents us all these fun moments in which it sneaks into your shower and takes you roughly from behind at a vulnerable moment when you think it is all going so right nothing could go wrong, or when you think things couldn't get worse.

In your case, I would politely e-mail the Prof and let him/her know how close they made you come to basically throwing a semester or entire course away via a wrong address.

In life we rarely get such chances. But good for you for sticking it out, imagine the thread you'd have created had you clicked that button

I probably would have been less sober.

Yikes. That's a close call for you. Glad you took time to think through it logically rather then when you were mentally wrecked. That was the smart choice. Lots of people would've cracked and taken the profs advice rather then think it through being all depressed with what they were told, so good on ya'

I'm pretty patient in looking at things from all angles. I'd rather not hop on one perspective right away and make a terrible decision early on, regardless of the information given. I usually use this take in many situations as it's a safe alternative and lets you weigh/consider everything beforehand.

Hasn't he broken some sort of confidentiality in mistakenly telling you what a dimwit the other David C is?

Make sure you are all about reminding him that you saved the email. It might ease you through the rest of the course. ;)

Of course I am insinuating blackmail.

Lol, wouldn't expect any different.

Nah I deleted it. In the great words of Kevin Bieksa, "You look at a guy like Zack Kassian and you wouldn't think Windsor has a University." Well, some of the professors are as bright as him.

if your actual score wasn't even close to failing then you should've had more confidence in yourself... if this had happened to me then I would've definitely waited to see my exam before deciding to drop or not because I simply would not believe I only got 8% out of an exam that I was actually confident about

Man you should've saved that e-mail. Could've complained to the Dean and explained the situation and provide the e-mail as proof. Definitely a really unprofessional slip up by your prof. Good thing you waited out for the official results though!

So interesting story received an email from a professor today stating that I received an 8% on a midterm worth 30% of my grade. He stated that it was, in his opinion, smart for me to drop the course as it would be very difficult to pass the class with the remaining course work available. He assumed it would be better if I got some of my course money back instead of trying and likely failing the course. I knew I hadn't done fantastic in the exam but this email took me by surprise and turned me into an absolute wreck for the next few hours as I am in my last semester in university and did not want to come back for one course in January.

I had my mouse on the "drop course" button and at the last second decided to wait the day out and see my exam as he was letting us look at them in class today.

There were two David C.'s in the class. I didn't get 8%, I didn't even fail the exam, not even close. He emailed the incorrect student. If I had dropped the course there would have been no going back.

So my question to you is whether or not you have made a rash decision only to find out that the information that made you make that decision was incorrect?

Funny, I actually had a similar problem. A professor emailed me once saying that I received an A+ on an essay and asked if he could use it as a sample for class discussion for 'what to do'

I thought this was odd, as I had handed in my essay late due to sickness, so it would have meant that he had marked my essay that day. I emailed him back for clarification, and he apologized saying he meant to send it to the other person with my name.

Jerk.

if your actual score wasn't even close to failing then you should've had more confidence in yourself... if this had happened to me then I would've definitely waited to see my exam before deciding to drop or not because I simply would not believe I only got 8% out of an exam that I was actually confident about

It was the hardest exam I had written and when I walked out of it I felt like it honestly could have went either way, no MC or TF, all mathematical equations so for all I knew I had done poorly. Two people in the class finished the exam before the end of class. I was pleasantly surprised by my mark and the class average was a sad 58%.

Can I ask what the course was?

Investments. I am not a finance guy. I have concentrations in marketing and HR, but considering I am in my last semester I needed something that fulfilled

A. My schedule. I work Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and am on campus all day M/W.

B. My degree audit. I required one more 400 level business course.

Man you should've saved that e-mail. Could've complained to the Dean and explained the situation and provide the e-mail as proof. Definitely a really unprofessional slip up by your prof. Good thing you waited out for the official results though!

I was angry, and rightfully so. Yet I felt that due to the fact nothing bad came of it I was going to let it slide. Even professionals make mistakes. He felt terrible about and said he would have appealed to the dean if I had dropped the course. He was definitely sincere in his apology. I may not believe in karma but would like to believe someone would offer me the same understanding if I were to screw up.

Funny, I actually had a similar problem. A professor emailed me once saying that I received an A+ on an essay and asked if he could use it as a sample for class discussion for 'what to do'

I thought this was odd, as I had handed in my essay late due to sickness, so it would have meant that he had marked my essay that day. I emailed him back for clarification, and he apologized saying he meant to send it to the other person with my name.

Jerk.

That is brutal. Makes me feel bad for David C. #2. He, I am sure, is no longer in the course.

Archived