The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is John Torterella misusing Alex Edler?

Patrick Kane

Truth be told, I don't believe Alex Edler is suited to Torts' coaching style. I believe Alex Edler is too passive as a person and a player for his tastes.

In my opinion, we don't see anywhere near enough of the Edler that knocked the living hell out of Doughty.

That's because that Edler has since come down with chronic back problems.

Hamhuis and Edler getting torn apart by fans when they're statistically the 2nd and 3rd most effective defenseman on the team. Sports fans are so ridiculous. As soon as a player has a rough streak all everyone notices is their faults. I've seen like two posts on how fantastic Edler played last game. He is in an adjustment period and it won't be long before he is back to being a complete beast.

As far as whether or not the team would be better if the offensive zone starts and line matching was less balanced? Will have to wait and see. Currently it isn't but a lot of other factors are contributing to that.

Umm he's sucked for 3 seasons now...

No, Edler isn't being misused... More like he's being exposed for being over rated... Like they say he's either Bobby Orr or Bambi... Unfortunately for us Canuck fans, more often than not he shows up as Bambi... He frustrates the crap outta me!!!!! He was once touted for being a possible Norris candidate... If he EVER wins that trophy I'll eat my jersey!!!

No, Edler isn't being misused... More like he's being exposed for being over rated... Like they say he's either Bobby Orr or Bambi... Unfortunately for us Canuck fans, more often than not he shows up as Bambi... He frustrates the crap outta me!!!!! He was once touted for being a possible Norris candidate... If he EVER wins that trophy I'll eat my jersey!!!

What if he wins the Vezina?

Yeah guys, we need to shelter Edler away from top lines since he is just a rookie trying to adjust to the NHL.

He's been riding shotgun with Ohlund, Ehrhoff, and Salo his entire career. He needs to be in the driver's seat now.

Yeah guys, we need to shelter Edler away from top lines since he is just a rookie trying to adjust to the NHL.

He's been riding shotgun with Ohlund, Ehrhoff, and Salo his entire career. He needs to be in the driver's seat now.

No matter what you think, it's a proven fact that he's never had top level defensive responsibility or has had to carry his own pairing.

Silly thread, Torts was giving Edler insane ice time and using him in all situations. If he's an elite defenseman, he can handle that and would LIKE that. Unfortunately, Edler has by far the worst +- on the team and has been a joke in his own end so far this season. So no, it isn't "Torts misusing him"--Torts gave him tons of opportunities--it's him having a terrible season defensively.

Silly thread, Torts was giving Edler insane ice time and using him in all situations. If he's an elite defenseman, he can handle that and would LIKE that. Unfortunately, Edler has by far the worst +- on the team and has been a joke in his own end so far this season. So no, it isn't "Torts misusing him"--Torts gave him tons of opportunities--it's him having a terrible season defensively.

Bieksa has more giveaways than Edler explain that

again i will keep saying this until it sinks in plus/minus is the most useless stat when it comes to determining someone's defensive skills

Bieksa has more giveaways than Edler explain that

again i will keep saying this until it sinks in plus/minus is the most useless stat when it comes to determining someone's defensive skills

Typically, I'd agree with you. It's an overused stat. But when a guy's plus/minus is a full ten points lower than the next lowest defenceman on the team (after only 33 games)...well, there's something wrong there.

I don't want to rip Edler apart, but he signed for top four money, which to me, means he should be solid at both ends of the ice. He still makes a lot of dumb dumb plays in his own zone, under pressure, that someone with his experience shouldnt be making. I do believe he could get better with some work, or the right D partner. However, I think with Torts, the leash may be a little shorter than he is acustomed too. I hope he figures it out, cause its a fair amount of money to have in your bottom two if not..

Can't coddle Edler forever, eventually he's gonna need to get his shoes wet facing tough competition, this year will weed out our liabilities and pretender defenders. Never liked him last year, never liked him the year before, probably won't like him next year.

Agreed.. The Edler hate started before the contract.. The contract just made it more outspoken by people. He's always struggled in pressure situations.

Archived