The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't need a checking C: No to Goc, Matthias, etc

WiseCanucksFan

I think the issue might be more for this year than say the next 2 or 3. Horvat won't be helping us anytime soon come April.

Gillis either needs to get a winger for the Kesler/Higgins line and have Santorelli play center on the 3rd. Or leave the top 6 alone and acquire a proper 3rd line/4th line center so that we can kick Dalpe off this team.

Richardson has been playing fantastic hockey this year. But I think It would be wise to acquire a proper 4th line center like a Goc because our team is a little thin in depth compared to other cup contenders.

Everyone's playing a step above their level of skill this year and I'd much rather see them exactly where they should be.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Richardson - Kassian

Weise - Goc - Hansen

Sestito

If we are going to honestly compete for the cup this year we need to take a look at Jagr and Steve Ott .

goaltending is good, defense is deep and well rounded.

Sedins will get shut down 5 on 5. We dont know if Santorelli and Higgins can handle the load if we cant count on the Sedins.

I would feel much better having Jagr to step into that role, and Ott to form a hard match kill switch line with Kass and Booth.

I would feel much better having Jagr to step into that role, and Ott to form a hard match kill switch line with Kass and Booth.

Jagr and all 0 goals in 22 playoff games in Boston's run last season? Jagr has 1 goal in his past 33 playoff games. That's the guy you want to step up and handle the offensive side of our game?

Great post OP. I totally agree, we the pieces for a 4th line that can check. We should have offensive balance on the other three lines. If a 3rd line center hads little offensive upside, than they are a bit of a waste of a roster spot unless they are Selke material(like Malhotra was in 2011). Those guys don't grow on trees. At one point Pahlson was that type of player, but was too old when we got him. Excellent point on Horvat, he will likely fill that role in the future. We shouldn't trade away orgainzational depth for a type of player wo is redundant on this roster.

I think that winning faceoffs is an important part of that line. Having Kassian and Booth start with posession would be a wise decision. But yes, I agree that a player with more offensive vision would be a better fit on that unit. Id also like to see more physicallity.

Jagr and all 0 goals in 22 playoff games in Boston's run last season? Jagr has 1 goal in his past 33 playoff games. That's the guy you want to step up and handle the offensive side of our game?

Your post makes little sense. He put up zero points last year and one point in the last 33?

You also forgot to tell us who you propose instead of Jagr. Instead of simply ripping apart other proposals, have the courage to put your solution up instead.

We don't need to construct the team exactly like it was in 2011. We don't really know what we have in Schroeder yet so let's not be so quick to judge whether he can be an effective 3rd or 4th line center. Just because a player doesn't fit a stereotypical mold of how a bottom six players is supoosed to look and play, doesn't mean they won't be effective. Personally, I think the idea of 3rd line as a checking line is simply outdated. Its not really an intelligent distinction to make. All line should balance scoring and a 2-way game. If you can put out a 4th line against a first line, then you have an effective checking line. The way this team looks constructed the next few years is to be a 4 line team, something than Boston, St. Louis, and Chicago have, but we haven't had, even in 2011. I think labelling Schredder as unable to fill a bottom six role is shortsighted and not based on any real evidence.

Calling lines 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th is an artificial construct that allows less intelligent people to understand hockey. Commentators use it to make generalizations and that's why its become part of the lexicon. If we try to build a team based on these type of unhelpful abstract concepts we will fail because we'll bring in the washed up Pahlson type players. I don't think this team needs that as the OP states.

^Like the above posts(Bert Diesel), & heartily agree that titles/prioritized lines are overstated.

Keep getting younger, & acquiring future assets. If this team is MEANT to break through, it will.

Only acquire an exp'd C if the price is reasonable(or a package, eg: Campbell & Goc from Flor.).

After next season, we'll probably lose some of our depth, in an expansion draft. We have a lot of solid depth guys, with excellent contracts, so we won't be able to keep them all. One more reason to deal 2 or 3 good vets, for one excellent younger player(and/or key pick), if there's the right opportunity.

Our GM plans ahead.

Calling lines 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th is an artificial construct that allows less intelligent people to understand hockey. Commentators use it to make generalizations and that's why its become part of the lexicon. If we try to build a team based on these type of unhelpful abstract concepts we will fail because we'll bring in the washed up Pahlson type players. I don't think this team needs that as the OP states.

Great post. Just look at the WJC game today. The line of McDavid Horvat Reinhart was listed as the third line on the depth chart, yet they are clearly not what we think of when the term '3rd line' is thrown around. The idea that your second line should only provide secondary scoring and your third line should be a checking line is a simpleton way of thinking.

Kesler's line can fill the stereotypical third line role of shutting down the other team's top line....the benefit is that this line can also score. What would you rather have, a third line who can shut down the opposition, or a second line that can shut down the opposition and also score?

If we are going to honestly compete for the cup this year we need to take a look at Jagr and Steve Ott .

goaltending is good, defense is deep and well rounded.

Sedins will get shut down 5 on 5. We dont know if Santorelli and Higgins can handle the load if we cant count on the Sedins.

I agree, everyone is going to have to play way way above expectations if we want a chance this year

However I don''t think Steve Ott will improve what we have currently if so it will very minimally. IMO no matter how tough he is it does not make up for his foot speed and lack of skill relative to a scorer that we need.

Jagr is an interesting one because I really don't think that Jagr and Kesler can co-exist on the same line. He slows down the game so much and is a bit of a puck hog to be frank....

Which is not a bad thing as he will be providing 60 points and 25 goals alone its just kes is about speed and also likes to have the puck a lot. I think if we do get Jagr we should push Kesler to the first line and get santorelli to center the 2nd line.

Archived