TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

POPULAR

http://www.sportsnet...tless-comments/

Bobby Ryan is not happy with Brian Burke or USA Hockey after the Ottawa Senators forward was left off the United States’s Olympic roster Wednesday.

Ryan was especially ticked off with Burke’s comments that appeared in an all-access ESPN.com article Wednesday detailing the five-month selection process, one in which the Calgary Flames president of hockey operations and acting general manager
questioned the intensity of the 26-year-old.

“He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary,” Burke said during a USA personnel meeting. “It’s never going to be in his vocabulary. He can’t spell intense.”

“He’s a passive guy.”

@SunGarrioch: "I will remember it and use it as motivation. That's all you can really do" says Ryan
@SunGarrioch: "Actually I feel almost degraded when it comes out like that. That's their decision and thats how they feel about me..."

The Senators forward fired back on Thursday, claiming Burke’s comments were “gutless.”

@ShawnMcKenzieSN: Ryan also said that the Burke's comments about him were "gutless"
@ShawnMcKenzieSN: More Ryan on Burke "I haven't talked to him, probably won't reach out to him or send him a Christmas card"

Ryan said he received a missed call from Burke when the U.S. team was announced, but learned about his omission from TV.

According to ESPN, the USA brass felt that if Ryan was not going to play on the team’s top two lines, he would be a poor fit on the third or fourth line due to his lack of speed and defensive prowess.

Burke, the director of player personnel for Team USA, has worked with Ryan extensively throughout his career. He was part of the staff in Anaheim that drafted Ryan with the second overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft.

Also in the ESPN article, Burke said he debated with scouts about whether to draft defenceman Jack Johnson instead of Ryan.

“I should have taken Jack,” Burke told ESPN.com.

In 42 games this season with Ottawa, Ryan has 18 goals and 18 assists in with a plus-10 rating.

...what classless comments from Burkie. Yea he might be a good GM, but this just adds to his already bad reputation. Especially saying "I should have taken Jack" instead of Ryan in the draft was just overkill. What a prick.

Posted Image
^Justdean10^

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

POPULAR

I honestly have no idea why both Ryan and Yandle didn't make it. Burke is a complete idiot. Thank god he's not responsible for Canada's team. Enjoy having Faulk over Yandle!

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

There has to be more going on between these two than we currently see.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#4 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Great opportunity for Bobby Ryan to prove Burke wrong.

#5 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

What I'm guessing too. And also, Erik and Jack Johnson not making the team but guys like Faulk made it...such a head scratcher but hey, as long as it doesn't thread Canada I'm fine..

Posted Image
^Justdean10^

#6 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

All I know is that the US is a lot weaker without Ryan and Yandle. As a Canadian I am sending Burke a thank you card.

You take out your best pure goal scoring threat that has an actual 2 way game and arguably your best and most mobile D man. And you have the stones to call them Gutless and a disaster while doing it.

Ya I am sure that is going to translate into a medal Burkie

Again, not sure why they did it but as a hockey fan cheering for my country. I would be equally as happy if the Swedes left out the Sedins and Karlsson and the Russians Ovechkin and Kovalchuk
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#7 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Loved the ESPN article and for fans it's great to hear GM's honest opinions of players, but of course fall out like this had to be expected. You can't fault Burke for sharing his honest opinion in a closed meeting, all others in the room did the same.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#8 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

The strange thing is, Burke was prominently featured in the documentary, "The Secret Life of Bobby Ryan", and he had nothing but good things to say about him on there.

Frankly, regardless of what you think of Ryan's work ethic or whatever, it does not change the fact that he is 3rd in goalscoring among American born players in the last 3 years, after only Kessel and Kane. I don't understand how you can leave off a natural goalscorer, or say that he does not fit on the top 2 lines, especially in tournament like the Olympics where it's single elimination and goals matter, not grinding away the opponent as you would in series.

#9 Chauncey

Chauncey

Canucks Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Typical leafs fan comment.
RIP RR 37

#10 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

you guys can critisize burke all you want, but the man knows how to build a winner... and IMO the stanley cup is harder to win than gold - forget ryan, i think burkes going to be the one proving people wrong.

and ryan is so over-rated.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#11 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

The strange thing is, Burke was prominently featured in the documentary, "The Secret Life of Bobby Ryan", and he had nothing but good things to say about him on there.

Frankly, regardless of what you think of Ryan's work ethic or whatever, it does not change the fact that he is 3rd in goalscoring among American born players in the last 3 years, after only Kessel and Kane. I don't understand how you can leave off a natural goalscorer, or say that he does not fit on the top 2 lines, especially in tournament like the Olympics where it's single elimination and goals matter, not grinding away the opponent as you would in series.

Posted Image
^Justdean10^

#12 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Burke didn't build the Ducks, he came in and added a couple of pieces and rode off with all the glory. Can't grasp the context of leaving Yandle off the US team, maybe Poile hates him for playing for the Yote's.

#13 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

you guys can critisize burke all you want, but the man knows how to build a winner... and IMO the stanley cup is harder to win than gold - forget ryan, i think burkes going to be the one proving people wrong.

Just which team did he build into a 'winner'?? .. it can only be the Leafs, and he only partially 'built' them, and all they have won was the worst hockey 'spectacle' I have ever seen .. I would rather watch an All-Star game than that farce called the "Winter Classic" .. classic crap, says I !! .. I would take Yandle ahead of most of the American defensemen chosen.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#14 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Like I said before, I don't know why Ryan and Yandle were left off but I'm glad. I want the weakest USA team possible.

But Burke once again showed no class what so ever. Typical Burke. He knew he was gonna get flak over the Ryan omission so he decides to go on the offensive. That's always been his MO. Burke making it about Burke.
Posted Image

#15 Burrows' Breath

Burrows' Breath

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Classless. Absolutely classless. I am a Burke fan, but my opinion of him just fell more than a few notches. Bobby Ryan deserves better than that.
Kesler: "My New Year's resolution is to always have Listerine for Burrows because his breath reeks."

#16 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

The problem is the two guys above him also play RW, which leaves little room for Ryan in the top 6 unless one of those players moves to their off wing. Personally I would have taken Ryan and gone with 3 pure offence lines but I guess team USA wanted more defensive players in their bottom 6.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#17 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Classless. Absolutely classless. I am a Burke fan, but my opinion of him just fell more than a few notches. Bobby Ryan deserves better than that.

I agree. Excluding Ryan is one thing, if Burke doesn't want him then don't pick him. But why public make these remarks and embarrass Ryan like that. Ryan has played for team USA on at least 3 previous occasions and performed well.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#18 Johnny Shotgun

Johnny Shotgun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Burke the buffoon is at it again. Only Theo Fleury could be considered as big a media whore as Burke. Why people consider him a winner amazes me. Hartford notta...Vancouver notta....Anaheim well he really didn't build the team....Toronto notta. Calgary so far is smitten but give it 4/5 years and a sacrificial GM of his choosing and they too will see him as a blowhard and tie the can to him as well.
No one escapes my blast!

#19 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Like I said before, I don't know why Ryan and Yandle were left off but I'm glad. I want the weakest USA team possible.

But Burke once again showed no class what so ever. Typical Burke. He knew he was gonna get flak over the Ryan omission so he decides to go on the offensive. That's always been his MO. Burke making it about Burke.

People really need to read the ESPN article this is based on. It wasn't Burke going out and holding a press conference on Ryan it was based on the US selection committee allowing a reporter to listen in on their inner discussions, something they will likely never do again. If a GM can't state his honest opinion of a player when asked during a selection commitee meeting how the heck do you expect them to ever come to an agreement on the team makeup?

Not a fan of Burke but I don't think he's to blame at all here given the context of the quotes. Here's the orginal article the quotes are included in:

http://espn.go.com/n...mpics-was-named

Edit- Also remember Burke did include Ryan when he was GM in 2010, this year it's Poille whose GM so the ultimate decision to exclude Ryan was Poiles not Burkes.

Edited by Langdon Algur, 02 January 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#20 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Faulk over Yandle
Brown/Stepan over Ryan....

Those decisions are awful, and it's gonna make Canada's roster look

"really,really,ridiculously, good-looking"
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#21 Tre Mac

Tre Mac

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Ryan is slow and the top two centers for the U.S. aren't exactly playmakers. Which is why he lost out to Oshie who is faster and more of a playmaker. Not like I care, honestly I don't think either the U.S. or Canada is going to do well. Sweden is my favorite to win gold with the hometown Russians second.

#22 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

The problem is the two guys above him also play RW, which leaves little room for Ryan in the top 6 unless one of those players moves to their off wing. Personally I would have taken Ryan and gone with 3 pure offence lines but I guess team USA wanted more defensive players in their bottom 6.

Valid point, but all three guys have played at different positions over their careers. Also, Ryan played on the left wing in ANA on that line with Getzlaf and Perry.

#23 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Burke makes these comments after he picked Ryan in 2010:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4790711

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#24 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Ryan's like carrying a weak Senators team on his back. It's really insulting to be told you have a lack of worth ethic.

I don't understand why Burke always needs to add an exclamation mark to everything he says. Just say he wasn't taken due to the top 6 being crowded with Right Wingers. How hard is that?

Edited by Raph, 02 January 2014 - 03:46 PM.

Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#25 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Burke's right.

ryan' thin skinned/ ultra sensitive response proves burke right.

What a gutless puke (to quote cherry)

you don't win with these type of ballarina's
Fire MG

#26 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

The worst comment of the bunch was the "I should have taken Jack [Johnson] comment".

Burke is helping to build a team and I get that his job is to critically evaluate players, and that involves making some criticisms. However, the above comment is just spiteful, it does nothing to help evaluate whether Ryan should or should not make the team. That comment never needed to be made and only seems to have been made to degrade the player.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#27 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

POPULAR

Burke's right.

ryan' thin skinned/ ultra sensitive response proves burke right.

What a gutless puke (to quote cherry)

you don't win with these type of ballarina's

The negative button was taken away like two years ago and this poster is still a minus 11.

Obvious troll, mods should get rid of him.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#28 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I was really disgusted by what Brian Burke said in the media about Bobby Ryan. I really believed that Brian Burke was a real, genuine guy but he's showed us that he's anything but.

That swipe he took at Ryan, saying he should've picked Johnson. That was a bush-league BS character assassination cheap shot, I don't care what anyone says, you don't say any of that crap when there's a reporter in the room.

He's got a history of waking up sleeping dogs:
http://sports.nation...of-nhl-trading/
Posted Image

#29 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Burke is a child trapped in a fat man's body.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#30 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

The should have taken Johnson wasn't meant as a swipe against Ryan but it was said in defence of Johnson who was also left off the US team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.