The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

On 3/3/2017 at 10:08 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Bitcoin Value Surpasses Gold for First Time in Currency’s History

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/bitcoin-value-surpasses-gold-first-time-currency-s-history-n728456

Yep. Glad I started mining it a few years back.  Though I really wish I would have learned about it earlier.  When I learned about it mining it became something I really wanted to try.  Not so much because of the value, but because of the challenge of figuring out how to do it.  Not all that computer literate, so to speak.

Edited by Grapefruits

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Are there any other cryptocurrencies on anyones radar other than bitcoin and Ethereum? I fear it may be too late to get into the game.

why would it be too late? buy, buy, buy, buy eth. it's going nowhere but up. i remember someone on here told me eth doesn't look good when it was at like $60 or something. now it's at what, 230? normies in stocks don't understand crypto at all. 

i have money in a few sh*tcoins that could blow up, but it's unlikely unless the bubble continues to grow. check out DGB if you want to make a small investment on a cheap coin that some are shilling hard to rise to $1.

don't panic sell when investing in sh*tcoins.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

why would it be too late? buy, buy, buy, buy eth. it's going nowhere but up. i remember someone on here told me eth doesn't look good when it was at like $60 or something. now it's at what, 230? normies in stocks don't understand crypto at all. 

i have money in a few sh*tcoins that could blow up, but it's unlikely unless the bubble continues to grow. check out DGB if you want to make a small investment on a cheap coin that some are shilling hard to rise to $1.

don't panic sell when investing in sh*tcoins.

What do you look for when choosing a crypto to invest in? I have been reading some articles lately to try to broaden my knowledge of it all.

Here are two articles. https://etfdailynews.com/2017/05/22/top-10-tips-for-cryptocurrency-investing-as-bitcoin-and-ethereum-surge/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4075425-selling-picks-shovels-crypto-miners

The second one is more of a regular stockie approach and relates the crypto boom to the gold rush.

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What do you look for when choosing a crypto to invest in? I have been reading some articles lately to try to broaden my knowledge of it all.

Here are two articles. https://etfdailynews.com/2017/05/22/top-10-tips-for-cryptocurrency-investing-as-bitcoin-and-ethereum-surge/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4075425-selling-picks-shovels-crypto-miners

The second one is more of a regular stockie approach and relates the crypto boom to the gold rush.

I'm very ignorant and don't really get a lot of what's going on, so I wouldn't ask me for tips on this stuff. I'm pretty new. But I honestly think we're in, or entering, a very big bubble. I think you could buy almost anything on the Poloniex market and at least double your money. the issue most people have is panic selling and holding

I don't really read many websites or blogs except specifically about Ethereum. I read forums and reddit for various coins. my friend reads 4chan to find shifts and shilling techniques for "sh*tcoins" (biz board) -- but gotta watch out for trolls.

What I look for, personally, though, is real-world applicability. Ether is obviously real world, big timing thing. It will change the world in its own way. Ripple, another sorta-coin COULD do the same. I have 100+ shares/coins in Ripple. Will definitely buy more when it dips again. 

This is different from Litecoin, which is just a Bitcoin clone and doesn't REALLY offer a whole lot new. LTC could be a decent investment, but I doubt it'll overthrow the already-established stuff like BTC. But a lot of people in China seem to like LTC, so maybe it'll grow. But again, its real world applicability is basically just a clone. 

If I were you, I would just look at a few coins and their recent movement, then google them specifically and see why they are moving. If it sounds like it could be a game changer, then buy. If it just sounds like a clone coin trying to ride the bubble, then buy but get ready to sell.

and remember: buy DGB when it drops again and hold, hold, hold

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'm very ignorant and don't really get a lot of what's going on, so I wouldn't ask me for tips on this stuff. I'm pretty new. But I honestly think we're in, or entering, a very big bubble. I think you could buy almost anything on the Poloniex market and at least double your money. the issue most people have is panic selling and holding

I don't really read many websites or blogs except specifically about Ethereum. I read forums and reddit for various coins. my friend reads 4chan to find shifts and shilling techniques for "sh*tcoins" (biz board) -- but gotta watch out for trolls.

What I look for, personally, though, is real-world applicability. Ether is obviously real world, big timing thing. It will change the world in its own way. Ripple, another sorta-coin COULD do the same. I have 100+ shares/coins in Ripple. Will definitely buy more when it dips again. 

This is different from Litecoin, which is just a Bitcoin clone and doesn't REALLY offer a whole lot new. LTC could be a decent investment, but I doubt it'll overthrow the already-established stuff like BTC. But a lot of people in China seem to like LTC, so maybe it'll grow. But again, its real world applicability is basically just a clone. 

If I were you, I would just look at a few coins and their recent movement, then google them specifically and see why they are moving. If it sounds like it could be a game changer, then buy. If it just sounds like a clone coin trying to ride the bubble, then buy but get ready to sell.

and remember: buy DGB when it drops again and hold, hold, hold

Thanks for the info. I am just starting to do research into this sector.

What, in your opinion, has real world applicability in DGB?

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Thanks for the info. I am just starting to do research into this sector.

What, in your opinion, has real world applicability in DGB?

DGB is a very risky investment. I don't know if, or necessarily think, it will do anything. What makes DGB interesting though is that part of their goal as a company seems to be bringing crypto currency to young people -- especially in China, I believe.

It is believed to be a company that will try to link up with video game companies or video game markets for mining and trade. The most famous--or infamous--linking here is MINECRAFT (there is already one Minecraft mod that is DGB integrated, and it's expected to grow).

DGB is also a Citibank Tech Finalist in Citi's current global competition for tech start ups/companies. It's a legit company with very big potential if it lands even just one or two contracts with a gaming company or culture.

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2017 at 10:45 AM, Bizarre said:

How did everyone get started with crypto? Having trouble getting my money into the market... CDN or EU bank account.

I would also like to know this....what is a safe wallet or exchange to trade in here in Canada? 

QuadrigaCX is a solid website to get started at. but the requirements to start buying are a little steep (gotta upload various pieces of ID, wait a few days, etc.)

you can also just use websites like coinbase, quickBT, etc. to buy smaller amounts of bitcoin ($100ish) and transfer them to your Quad account.

it's a shady market, fellas, watch yourselves

(for what it's worth, Coinbase only allows Canadians to buy I think $250/week with verification, $100 without. It's an American-based company. Quadriga is Vancouver-based, I have no idea what their limits are since I never go through the verification process with these companies)

Edited by GLASSJAW

4 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

QuadrigaCX is a solid website to get started at. but the requirements to start buying are a little steep (gotta upload various pieces of ID, wait a few days, etc.)

you can also just use websites like coinbase, quickBT, etc. to buy smaller amounts of bitcoin ($100ish) and transfer them to your Quad account.

it's a shady market, fellas, watch yourselves

(for what it's worth, Coinbase only allows Canadians to buy I think $250/week with verification, $100 without. It's an American-based company. Quadriga is Vancouver-based, I have no idea what their limits are since I never go through the verification process with these companies)

Yes, been to all those sites. QuadrigaCX appealed to me the most but it looked to have the highest fees. I might just have to find a friend to go through and buy some BTC. Ordered a Trezor wallet as well to try and reduce the risk.

The verification process on coinbase was giving me headaches as well. Only allowing me to buy with a CC at 3.5% fee or something.

ether hits another all-time high today. should go even higher in the next few days as a couple of major chinese markets add it to their trading "floor"

don't be fooled by your fear of missing out. wait for the low, then buy

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I tried using quadriga but only to find out that CIBC isn't supported by them. Any one else have wallet recommendations that support transferring funds from cibc accounts?

small purchases or large? quickBT allows you to buy 100/day in Bitcoin, which you could then transfer out to a different market to exchange for other coins--or you can just transfer them out to a wallet

On 5/30/2017 at 7:32 PM, SabreFan1 said:

This used to be @CanadianLoonie's favourite thread.  Too bad he's not on CDC anymore or he'd be reveling in how well Bitcoin is doing.

Apparently he was active 8 hours ago.  It's funny I had so many call me an idiot when I bought into the mining and started mining Bitcoin. Even more when I started trading Bitcoin and Litecoin on Cavirtex, now Kraken.

I'm not much into reveling but I do like to point out how good it's doing from time to time.

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

Apparently he was active 8 hours ago.  It's funny I had so many call me an idiot when I bought into the mining and started mining Bitcoin. Even more when I started trading Bitcoin and Litecoin on Cavirtex, now Kraken.

I'm not much into reveling but I do like to point out how good it's doing from time to time.

I would crow too if I were you.  I thought it was going to be dead and buried well before now.

What kills me is that I remember clearly when Bitcoin first came out and it was easily mined.  I remember thinking how stupid of an idea and that it will never catch on or be worth anything!!!  Oops....   With a little foresight, I could have made some seriously easy money.

4 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

How many are you holding?

22 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I would crow too if I were you.  I thought it was going to be dead and buried well before now.

What kills me is that I remember clearly when Bitcoin first came out and it was easily mined.  I remember thinking how stupid of an idea and that it will never catch on or be worth anything!!!  Oops....   With a little foresight, I could have made some seriously easy money.

I remember as well.  I blew it off when I first heard about it. Didn't care to take the time and learn about it. Figured it was a scam. Didn't help that the media reporting it at the time had a very negative view of it.  Didn't really get into it when this thread was made.